It's All Over Now, Baby Blue (Bob Dylan)

Started by SoNowThen, November 28, 2003, 12:08:18 PM

Ghostboy

Don't forget the cover of Highway 61 Revisited on Rid Of Me, Godardian!

I love Dylan. I'd never really heard much of his stuff, other than what they play on oldies stations, until I bought Time Out Of Mind back whenever it came out, and instantly realized what was so great about him. Now, with large quantities of his music in my possession, I think that Time Out Of Mind is still the best album he's ever done.

godardian

Oh, yes... I contradict myself when I say the Nick Cave and Friends cover is the best, 'cos that "Highway 61" on Rid of Me the same thing... really, it does supercede any other Dylan cover I've heard.

That's the thing for me about Dylan; the greatness of his great songs (which is not all of them by any means) comes through much more clearly when someone else is singing them. He has kind of a Burt Bacharach/Carole King thing going on, where his own performances of his songs sound like blueprints or sketches waiting to have life breathed into them.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

SoNowThen

Quote from: godardianThat's the thing for me about Dylan; the greatness of his great songs (which is not all of them by any means) comes through much more clearly when someone else is singing them. He has kind of a Burt Bacharach/Carole King thing going on, where his own performances of his songs sound like blueprints or sketches waiting to have life breathed into them.

That's interesting, and I definitely see your point. The Band especially took some of his songs to a different/new level.

However, the three most celebrated ones absolutely PALE in comparison to the originals: Clapton or G&R doing Knockin' On Heaven's Door, and Hendrix doing All Along The Watchtower. Such craphole versions when compared to Dylan.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Ghostboy

I agree with you, except for All Along The Watchtower -- Hendrix owns that one.

SoNowThen

Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

jasper_window

"I'd like to meet that man and break his nose."

well put.

Say what you will about Dylan, but his writing is tremendous to say the least.  He plays with words like no one.

jasper_window

Quote from: SoNowThen
Quote from: godardianThat's the thing for me about Dylan; the greatness of his great songs (which is not all of them by any means) comes through much more clearly when someone else is singing them. He has kind of a Burt Bacharach/Carole King thing going on, where his own performances of his songs sound like blueprints or sketches waiting to have life breathed into them.

That's interesting, and I definitely see your point. The Band especially took some of his songs to a different/new level.

However, the three most celebrated ones absolutely PALE in comparison to the originals: Clapton or G&R doing Knockin' On Heaven's Door, and Hendrix doing All Along The Watchtower. Such craphole versions when compared to Dylan.

If you already haven't, check out Clapton covering Don't Think Twice on the 30 year tribute to Dylan.  It's a motherfucker.

MacGuffin

Dylan's autobiography: three-part 'Chronicles'
By Reuters

NEW YORK -- The famously private Bob Dylan, whose background and music are the stuff of legend, will shed light on his life and four-decade career as a singer-songwriter in a memoir to be published this autumn, his publisher said Tuesday.

Dylan's "Chronicles: Volume One" (Simon & Schuster), the first of a planned three-book series, is a first-person narrative from the 63-year-old music icon, who rose to fame in the early 1960s and whose musical style ranged from folk and blues to rock, country and gospel.

The first volume of his memoirs focuses on significant periods in Dylan's life and is described by publisher David Rosenthal as "extraordinary, revealing and surprising. It is a beautifully written, singular achievement."

The 304-page book is due out on Oct. 12 and will be followed about a week later by an updated edition of "Lyrics: 1962-2001," a compendium of lyrics to nearly every Dylan song.

Born Robert Zimmerman, Dylan left the University of Minnesota for New York's Greenwich Village folk music scene at the start of the 1960s. He soon won fame for his such protest anthems as "Blowin' in the Wind" and "The Times They are A-changin."'

The scrawny mid-Westerner who wrote lyrics like poetry and sang with a distinctive howl, shifted to more introspective material and later added electric instrumentation as he helped create the folk-rock sound and scored a big singles hit with "Like a Rolling Stone."

While Dylan sold millions of records on his own, some of his songs are best known through recordings by others like Joan Baez, Peter Paul and Mary, The Byrds, and The Band.

Dylan, who still tours the world with his rock band, was given a Lifetime Achievement Award at the Grammies in 1991 and was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame by Bruce Springsteen in 1988.

He previously published "Tarantula," a 1971 volume of poems. Simon & Schuster Inc. is the publishing arm of Viacom.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Sean Penn Will Read Audiobook by Dylan

Oscar-winning actor Sean Penn will read the audiobook version of Bob Dylan's "Chronicles: Volume One," to be published Oct. 12 by Simon & Schuster Audio.

The book and audiobook comprise the first in a series of the singer-songwriter's personal histories, with the first volume consisting of first-person narratives focusing on significant periods in Dylan's life and career, the publisher said last week.

The audiobook version runs for six hours on four cassettes or five CDs.

"When we were thinking of actors to read the Bob Dylan audiobook, the first name on our list was Sean Penn," said Chris Lynch, executive vice president and publisher of Simon & Schuster Audio, in a statement. "We knew he would be perfect for the material, and we are absolutely thrilled that an actor of his caliber will be reading `Chronicles.'"

This is the first audiobook that Penn has narrated.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

meatwad

Quote from: GhostboyI agree with you, except for All Along The Watchtower -- Hendrix owns that one.

know this ended a while ago, but i figured i'd bring up that dylan once said after he heard the hendrix version, he would never play the song the same again.

mogwai

THE-TIMES-THEY-WERE-ANNOYIN'!

US legend BOB DYLAN has shocked many of his fans with excerpts published from his memoirs.

The snippets appear in this week's issue of US magazine Newsweek, in which Dylan also takes part in a rare interview.

He explains that he felt nothing in common with a generation that ordained him their voice.

"The world was absurd...I had very little in common with and knew even less about a generation that I was supposed to be the voice of," he said.

"I was fantasising about a nine-to-five existence, a house on a tree-lined block with a white picket fence, pink roses in the backyard.

"Roadmaps to our homestead must have been posted in all 50 states for gangs of dropouts and druggies.

"I wanted to set fire to these people," he said of the fans who would group outside his family home, climb onto his roof, and break in. The family were forced to move to New York to escape them.

"We moved to New York for a while in hopes to demolish my identity, but it wasn't any better there. It was even worse. The neighbours hated us," he continued.

"The big bugs in the press kept promoting me as the mouthpiece, spokesman, or even conscience of a generation. I felt like a piece of meat that someone had thrown to the dogs," he said.

He said that life improved for him in the Eighties. "In my real life I got to do the things that I love the best...Little League games, birthday parties, taking my kids to school, camping trips, boating, rafting, canoeing, fishing...I was living on record royalties."

He also slammed critics for their dissection of his lyrics. "I was sick of the way my lyrics had been extrapolated, their meanings subverted into polemic and that I had been anointed as the Big Bubba of Rebellion...," he said.

Dylan wrote the 'Chronicles: Volume 1', set for release on October 12, over three years on a manual typewriter.

UncleJoey

Bob Dylan Gets Pop-Punk Makeover
Dec 08, 2004

Drive Thru Records is celebrating Bob Dylan's 64th birthday ... by having a bunch of pop-punk fluffballs cover his songs.

You know you've made it when you write a best-selling autobiography, the literati continue to lobby for your work to be considered for the Nobel Prize and you're a featured story on 60 Minutes. When a bunch of pop-punk bands younger than your grandkids covers your tunes, well, at least you can watch the 60 Minutes segment again.

While the label hasn't released a track listing for the project, it intends to introduce a new generation of fans to the Dylan songbook -- through the use of covers.

" The goal of the CD is to introduce a newer, younger generation of listeners to Bob Dylan's music through artists that they love, the same way we (Stefanie and Richard, Drive Thru owners) were introduced to his music through one of our favorite bands, The Alarm, back in the mid-'90s," a label statement said.

That's hilarious
Well, I've got news for you pal, you ain't leadin' but two things: Jack and shit . . . and Jack just left town.

tpfkabi

i've been playing the crap out of Highway 61 this week. it's the only Dylan i have. i love Ballad of a Thin Man and the next to last song (it's hard to remember his titles because a lot of the time they have nothing to do with the lyrics). hopefully i will get Freewheelin' for Christmas.
what do you recommend next?
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

tpfkabi

Quote from: themodernage02blonde on blonde.

is it sort of a continuation of Highway 61 or in a whole different direction?

i actually kind of listened to it a bit at a vinyl shop a few months ago and it didn't grab me right away, but i don't put much faith in that brief time with the music.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.