21 Jump Street

Started by MacGuffin, November 04, 2011, 07:22:49 PM

MacGuffin

Trailer here.

Release Date: March 16th, 2012 (wide)

Starring: Jonah Hill, Channing Tatum, Brie Larson, Dave Franco

Directed by: Phil Lord, Christopher Miller

Premise: Schmidt and Jenko are more than ready to leave their adolescent problems behind. Joining the police force and the secret Jump Street unit, they use their youthful appearances to go undercover in a local high school.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

polkablues

My house, my rules, my coffee

Stefen

I think it looks pretty funny but it does something that I hate in movies and that's use a new type of drug infiltrating some sort of system as a plot device.

Things that people get high off of are pretty set in stone, but movies always do that thing where there's a new drug that the police have never seen before and it's more potent and deadly than anything to come before it. Yeah right.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

theyarelegion

fuck everything and everyone involved in this shit! what the fuck?

Orgin

Isn't Johnny Depp going to make a cameo in this film?

polkablues

Holy crap, you guys.  This movie has no right to work as well as it does.  I like Channing Tatum now?  That can not be right.

But really, it's funny.  I can't bring myself to invest actual brain cells into writing a real review, but it's funny and should be seen.

JG

its true. dave franco slays, too.

matt35mm

The directors and Michael Bacall are the main reasons why this works so well, and Jonah Hill really deserves a lot of credit as a producer for bringing all the right people onto this project. It's one of the most gleefully made movies I've seen in a long time.

polkablues

I didn't realize going in that it was directed by the Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs guys, but knowing that now, I can see commonalities.  Primarily the way both movies play with conventions, how they take just the right amount of piss out of the sort of movies that they're homaging (not a real word; don't care), and how they manage to actually BE clever without trying too hard to SEEM clever.

Quote from: JG on April 04, 2012, 07:12:57 PM
its true. dave franco slays, too.

Dave is the greater Franco.  I'm just going to come out and say it.

Pubrick

Quote from: polkablues on April 04, 2012, 08:16:19 PM
I didn't realize going in that it was directed by the Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs guys,

I didn't know that either til just now.

That's the only reason I'll give this a shot.

It just looks so.. unnecessary.
under the paving stones.

RegularKarate

Quote from: Pubrick on April 04, 2012, 08:41:08 PM
It just looks so.. unnecessary.

Yep.  It works though.  It's well written and the actors are having fun with it, but not in a frat boy way.

I haven't seen Cloudy, but now I will.

Gold Trumpet

It's a funny movie, but so was The Hangover on first viewing and that movie quickly became annoying after a few viewings. Why does 21 Jump Street have a better chance to be memorable for me? Characters are actually likeable here. 

Orgin