ever notice how bad action films are filled with philosophical lines?

Started by Gold Trumpet, April 13, 2007, 11:48:57 PM

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: Gamblour. on April 13, 2007, 09:06:03 PM
Along those lines GT, I have to say Under Siege 2: Dark Territory is one of my favorite bad movies that I don't see very often. "This is your captor speaking." Love it!  :bravo:

Did you ever notice bad action films are also filled with philosophical lines?

In Cliffhanger, "You kill one man, they call you a murderer. You kill a million, they call you a conquerer" And in Under Seige 2: Dark Territory, "Chances favors the prepared mind." or the more obvious, "Assumption is the mother of all fuck ups."

Yea, the movie is filled with great lines. A friend of mine likes to watch bad movies just to rip on them, but I got him to watch Under Seige 2 and he genuinely enjoyed the film for reasons that had nothing to do with undermining it. I considered that a success.

Pubrick

Quote from: The Gold Trumpet on April 13, 2007, 11:48:57 PM

Maybe I'm drunk today, tomorrow I'll be sober, BUT YOU WILL ALWAYS BE A FAGGOT!
                                                                                                   -double impact
under the paving stones.

MacGuffin

Quote from: Pubrick on April 14, 2007, 12:07:13 AM

-double impact

"If you want the ultimate, you've got to be willing to pay the ultimate price. It's not tragic to die doing what you love."

"Fear causes hesitation, and hesitation will cause your worst fears to come true."

- Point Break
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Gold Trumpet

I thought of another:

"Mother is the name for God on the lips and hearts of all children."

The Crow

MacGuffin

"The world meets nobody halfway. When you want something, you gotta take it."

- Over The Top
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

pete

Quote from: Pubrick on April 14, 2007, 12:07:13 AM

-double impact

from my favorite retrospective written about van damme, ever

Double Impact, 1991
Plot #3 This was the first movie written and produced by JCVD, and now that he had some creative control, Jean-Claude Van Damme showed the world what his films were missing: "Another ME!" And to a lesser extent, a haunting romantic soundtrack. Unfortunately, the film's titular song, "Gonna feel the impact... OF MY SOUL! OF MY SOUL!" failed to sweep the nation's radios.
Van Dammeter: 7
With a second Jean-Claude costarring with himself, it almost gets to the point where there's TOO MUCH spin kicking. After a scene where Jean-Claude is doing the splits in turquoise tights and training a group of young men in pink karate suits, the second Jean-Claude calls him a "faggot." Normally, this type of homophobic slur would cause a scandal in the gay and lesbian karate community, but since he technically said it to himself, everything was cool.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Pubrick

and don't forget the black silk underwear which plays a pivotal role in the story.
under the paving stones.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

"You are dead!"
"Hell sucked, we are back!"

-Showdown In Little Tokyo

"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

72teeth

Storm: "You know what happens to a toad when it get struck by lightning....?"

(beat)

Badass Storm: "...The same thing that happens to everything else."

what the fuck.
Doctor, Always Do the Right Thing.

Yowza Yowza Yowza

socketlevel

Quote from: 72teeth on May 14, 2007, 07:28:47 AM

(beat)

what the fuck.

worst line ever for the scale of movie it was.  basically anything uttered in the matrix i'd have to add to this list.
the one last hit that spent you...

Gold Trumpet

Another one from The Crow:

"Childhood ends when you know you're going to die."

Stefen

Quote from: 72teeth on May 14, 2007, 07:28:47 AM

(beat)

what the fuck.

haha, oh my god, I remember when I heard that for the first time. I about died laughing. Then I felt really embarrassed.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

grand theft sparrow

I read/was told once that Joss Whedon wrote that line with the hope of it being delivered in a more sardonic, Whedon-esque style, as opposed to like "Hasta la vista, baby."

EDIT: OK, it's in the IMDb trivia for X-Men...

Joss Whedon wrote a draft version of the script, but the suggestions he made to fix what he felt were fundamental problems with the film were not incorporated. Only two pieces of dialogue from his rewrite appeared in the final film. One is the exchange when Cyclops doesn't know if Wolverine is an impostor ("Prove it!" "You're a dick"); the other is Storm's "Do you know what happens when a toad gets hit by lightning? The same thing that happens to everything else." which he imagined as a lighthearted, offhand line.

The Red Vine

Many terrible action films seem to use the line "You have no idea who you're dealing with". I laughed when I heard it in the new Die Hard trailer.

Or a guy shouts the line "How much did she pay you?!"
"No, really. Just do it. You have some kind of weird reasons that are okay.">

what about a guy looking down a microscope and saying 'in all my years of research i've never seen anything like this.' that's a bomb. that's like reading the word postmodern.

my contribution to this thread:

from miami vice
Det. James 'Sonny' Crockett: Things go wrong. The odds catch up. Probability is like gravity: you cannot negotiate with gravity.
from blade 2
the bad guy:  who do you think god really favors in the web? the spider or the fly?

context, context, context.