Iron Man

Started by Banky, January 05, 2004, 09:28:57 PM

Redlum

Batman Begins has set the standard for super-hero movies. It's not perfect; one big weakness (perhaps an over-reaction because it feels last minute and unnecessary) is the Wayne Tower, water-board cutaways explaining if x reaches y then Gotham = kaboom. Iron Man never made a mistake like that because it seemed to have learned every lesson from it's superhero predecessors in 'what not to do'. Unfortunately it never really built on these lessons by not taking any risks. As a result it lacked surprises and ended with a boring "finale".

I really enjoyed watching Tony Stark become a self-made, iron man. The film was well thought out, entertaining and felt like it was going somewhere until Obadiah's reveal in Afghanistan. Now, I'd always wondered what the third act was going to be. After seeing the trailers, I could recognise the 'origins' portions but could see nothing of his first enemy or challenge. Obadiah just wasn't given sufficient meaning (beyond being the "great betrayer") to feel like being anything other than the fall guy for the obligatory final battle. Suddenly, I'm hearing Jeff Bridges shout speech bubbles from the PA system of a huge armoured suit and wondering what the hell happened. Super heroes are meant to learn something about themselves from their enemies, aren't they? It's so frustrating for a film to squander its hard work for such a conventional, boring ending. It just didn't need it to be entertaining.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

squints

I've had this wrapped in plastic for the last fourteen years:

I really wanted Terrence Howard to put on that suit.
I have no desire to see this again, however, I want the sequel to come out next week. If I have to wait four years for War Machine then I'm afraid I'm going to lose interest. I wanted an iron man movie to come out when I was nine. I'm twenty-three now.
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

samsong

blandest movie i've seen in a while.  liked stark's first "i need to do something good!" attack as iron man and paltrow running away from giant robot jeff bridges.  what the fuck was terrence howard doing in this movie?     

picolas

Quote from: samsong on May 14, 2008, 06:34:36 PMwhat the fuck was terrence howard doing in this movie?     
spoils
he was there to make you really want him put on that suit.

Alexandro

he was being completely forgettable as he has been in everything since hustle & flow. and getting a paycheck.

Sleepless

Saw it yesterday. Really enjoyed it.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

Gold Trumpet

This may be my favorite super hero movie ever. I say this with almost zero respect to the comic book franchise in general. When I think of super hero movies now, I have to take Batman as the most cultured pick for best of the best. Batman Begins is enjoyable but not very good to me. It's seriousness and over explanation of the origins of Batman in hopes to be dramatic is its downfall. It doesn't create a visionary idea of Batman in mythical Gotham, but just a lukewarm drama instead. Iron Man wonderfully exists in the other realm. It's total lack of seriousness is great.

First off, Iron Man is a genre movie. Almost every part of the film has recognizable components of its genre. I never believed the film would be a re-imagination of the standard, but I hoped it would be good. Favreau makes it good by jamming the film with as much humor as possible. He takes the genesis of what made Swingers and Made good and inflicts it in Iron Man. Both films were consistently funny, but funny in a way that was dependent upon the personality of the characters. Robert Downey Jr. makes this film what it is. I saw it a second time and noticed even more smaller jokes because a lot of the humor is based on Downey's performance and his physical mannerisms.

A lot of the characters are stock, but the banter in the scenes is enjoyable. The extent of Downey's exuberance makes a scene last normally a little longer and allow for more character in play. It means richer characterization. I use that term loosely because this is a fluff super hero movie. I don't understand a lot of the criticism because the movie is what it is. You either enjoy the formula or you don't. I think the new Batman film gave people the bad idea that a super hero movie should be something more, but I prefer a super hero movie making only making changes to up its ante of entertainment. If I want to watch a drama I'll watch a drama. It feels too nerdy to take Batman's idea of drama really that serious. I'll keep Iron Man as it's more enjoyable counterpart.

Fernando

I liked it, there were a couple of cringe worthy moments dialogue wise, the action was good and the first hour which has little action was truly wonderful, when Stark returns from his kidnapping it went down the hill but not much, the fx were top notch, unlike Indy which makes Transformers look like the best action movie ever made (fx and story wise).

Best summer movie so far (till TDK is released).

GT, I'm actually really curious if you liked or not Indy. (post in the actual thread if you've seen it)

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: Fernando on June 04, 2008, 11:26:33 AM
GT, I'm actually really curious if you liked or not Indy. (post in the actual thread if you've seen it)

Actually decided to skip it because of how bad reviews on here were.

Sleepless

He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

modage

because it's just not fun to hate a movie if you can't argue about it with somebody who liked it.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: modage on June 04, 2008, 05:33:23 PM
because it's just not fun to hate a movie if you can't argue about it with somebody who liked it.

The bad assumptions never stop with you, huh?

Alexandro

Quote from: modage on June 04, 2008, 05:33:23 PM

haha, that's funny. i personally enjoy a lot more the conversation when i'm the hater. i don't mind to admit it, it's delicious.

Gamblour.

I can't really trust anyone who liked this movie. He builds a mother fucking suit for the entire movie. Is that really a fucking story? And Gwyneth Paltrow sends women back to Seneca Falls.
WWPTAD?

Gold Trumpet

Christian Bale spends the entire movie of Batman Begins building a batcave, batmobile and batsuit. Do you just like super hero movies that have more accessories considered?