What shows are you watching?

Started by Jeremy Blackman, May 06, 2017, 04:03:18 PM

Fernando

Quote from: eward on July 27, 2018, 12:08:21 PM
I couldn't get past the first episode.

MILD SPOILERS

I think once his mistress grabbed his cock and said, "Is that a gun in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?" and he replied, "You know I don't where my gun to the office" or something like that, I felt I couldn't justifiably devote any more time to it. I'm getting old.

Am I being picky? I love to be convinced.

ha I really don't remember that bad line.

The show as it progresses gets more interesting but it has a few scenes here and there of the private life of Jeff Daniels' character, but I think is worth it, if you try again and by the 3rd episode you're not hooked then it's not for you.

wilberfan

Quote from: polkablues on July 26, 2018, 05:41:37 PM
Just finished watching season one of The Sinner, on the basis that Carrie Coon is playing a major part in season two, so it must be a worthwhile show. And... it is! Pretty familiar modern psychological crime thriller plotting, but the story holds together well, it stays compelling all the way through, and it's given me a newfound respect for the acting talents of both Jessica Biel and Bill Pullman (no small feat on the latter). It's a great example of a show in which character and plotting are inextricably woven into each other, which I consider a hallmark of good writing.

Watching (and for the most part enjoying) this show due to this post.  Loved Carrie in "The Leftovers", so had to check it out.  Thanks for the recommendation!

polkablues

Quote from: polkablues on May 06, 2017, 05:31:15 PM
I mentioned this one in the shoutbox a bit ago, but for posterity's sake I'm going to re-recommend the Amazon series "Patriot." Imagine a cross between the Coen Brothers and Martin McDonagh making an extremely odd, tone-jumping version of a LeCarre novel. It's also lowkey one of the deepest and strongest portrayals of clinical depression onscreen that I've ever seen.

You're all going to be so pissed when you finally watch this show and realize how great it is and how long you ignored it.

My house, my rules, my coffee

Jeremy Blackman

I won't be watching any Mel Gibson TV show thank you very much.

Sleepless

Norsemen. Indiewire described it as "Vikings" meets "The Office" and that's fairly accurate. Wickedly dry Scandinavian wit.

Here's a taster:

He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

polkablues

Quote from: polkablues on October 10, 2018, 09:43:07 PM
Quote from: polkablues on May 06, 2017, 05:31:15 PM
I mentioned this one in the shoutbox a bit ago, but for posterity's sake I'm going to re-recommend the Amazon series "Patriot." Imagine a cross between the Coen Brothers and Martin McDonagh making an extremely odd, tone-jumping version of a LeCarre novel. It's also lowkey one of the deepest and strongest portrayals of clinical depression onscreen that I've ever seen.

You're all going to be so pissed when you finally watch this show and realize how great it is and how long you ignored it.

Finished season two, and every word of this remains true, with the addition that I'm developing very potent grudges against each and every one of you for not watching this show.

©brad

FINE I'LL WATCH IT.

(but seriously thanks for the reco. I keep striking out on new shows but I'm excited about this one now)

wilberfan

Escape at Dannemora

An amazing cast (including an almost unrecognizable Patricia Arquette), and very impressive directing by Ben Stiller (of all people).  One of the highlights of my TV week. 

https://youtu.be/RVbOjP1Ziec

Jeremy Blackman

TRAVELERS (on Netflix). So, so good. A very fun and highly addictive sci-fi show. There is a splash of cheese for sure, but production values are pretty high, and some performances are magnificent. Excellent blend of human drama and complex science fiction. Becomes wildly unpredictable in seasons 2 and 3, which do not disappoint.

If you can get into it (you'll know after the first episode), you might find that Travelers is surprisingly fresh.

wilberfan

Quote from: wilberfan on December 10, 2018, 11:09:52 PM
Escape at Dannemora

An amazing cast (including an almost unrecognizable Patricia Arquette), and very impressive directing by Ben Stiller (of all people).  One of the highlights of my TV week. 

[/size]

Just finished the finale.   This might be my favorite production I've seen this year--on any sized screen.  Absolutely impeccable.

polkablues

I'm hyped for it, but I don't have a Showtime subscription, so I either have to wait for a blu-ray release, hope it eventually gets put onto one of the streaming services I already pay money for, or just break down and pirate the bastard.

Fernando

Quote from: polkablues on July 26, 2018, 05:41:37 PM
Just finished watching season one of The Sinner, on the basis that Carrie Coon is playing a major part in season two, so it must be a worthwhile show. And... it is! Pretty familiar modern psychological crime thriller plotting, but the story holds together well, it stays compelling all the way through, and it's given me a newfound respect for the acting talents of both Jessica Biel and Bill Pullman (no small feat on the latter). It's a great example of a show in which character and plotting are inextricably woven into each other, which I consider a hallmark of good writing.

So I fucked up and started watching season 2, I blame netflix since they sent me directly to S2 instead of 1, and when Carrie Coon appeared I remembered reading this post, so, is it mandatory to watch S1 first?

polkablues

I haven't seen season two yet, but as far as I know they're fully separate stories, with just Bill Pullman's character as the common thread between them.

edit: Your post got my hopes up, so I went and looked, but season two still isn't on US Netflix yet.

Sleepless

I'm not familiar with the novel or previous adaptation(s) so went into this completely fresh and unknowing. It was good. A very modern period piece and plenty of questions left unanswered. Would recommend.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

wilberfan

Presented by world-renowned naturalist Sir David Attenborough (Blue Planet II, Planet Earth II) and executive produced by Emmy®-winner Mike Gunton (Planet Earth II), Dynasties follows five of the world's most celebrated but endangered animals, as they do whatever it takes to survive and protect the next generation.

Dynasties will focus in never-seen-before detail on one particular family from each species per episode, as they play politics, fight battles, make alliances, launch take-overs, battle rivals, and win family feuds:

Emperor penguins in the frozen wastes of Antarctica
Chimpanzees on the edge of the Sahara in Senegal, West Africa
Lions on the savannahs of Kenya's Masai Mara
Painted wolves on the floodplains of the Zambezi river in Zimbabwe
Tigers in the jungles of Bandhavgarh, India
Dynasties will tell the unique and emotional stories of some of the greatest families in nature, as they face unforeseen challenges not only from their rivals, but from changes to their environment, and the impact humanity has had on our fragile ecosystem that will ricochet throughout generations.

After just one episode, I'm astonished by the camera work and editing--and Shakespearean storytelling.  And David Attenborough is practically a World Heritage Site all by himself, isn't he?