Pearl Jam

Started by rustinglass, July 21, 2003, 03:02:55 PM

Bethie

who likes movies anyway

MusicForANewSociety

Nowadays, couldn't care less. Gotta get going and play that Seeds record.

hedwig

MacGuffin

For Bethie; and early valentine:

Pearl Jam Head to the Studio for 2009 Album
Source: Rolling Stone

In May, Rolling Stone first reported that Pearl Jam were sketching out songs for their ninth studio album — their first with producer Brendan O'Brien since 1998's Yield. Now those plans are more concrete: Eddie Vedder and Co. are close to hitting the studio to lay down an album they plan to self-release in the U.S. without a label. "The new record feels good so far — really strong and uptempo, stuff we can sink our teeth into," Vedder told RS' Brian Hiatt when visited the band in Seattle for an in-depth look at the upcoming record — read the full story in the new issue, on newsstands now.

Pearl Jam are also busy readying the deluxe reissue of their 1991 debut, Ten, which his stores March 24th in four editions. When the album came out, David Fricke directed listeners to focus on Vedder's voice: "a ragged, enraged mongrel blend of Robert Plant and James Hetfield — and the Pearls' surprising, and refreshing, melodic restraint."

Looking back at Pearl Jam's beginnings made us think of the awesome 1993 profile of the band Cameron Crowe wrote for this magazine. Crowe grabbed the band while they were prepping to record their second album, as they casually discussed releasing "Daughter" as a single, and mused on the prospect of blowing up. "If somebody wants to say, 'You guys used to be my favorite band, but you got too big' — to me, the problem with getting too big is not, innately, you get too big and all of a sudden you stop playing good music," Stone Gossard said. "The problem is, when you get too big, you stop doing the things you used to do."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Bethie

Thank you! Looks like I'm going to have to steal my friend's issue of Rolling Stone! I'm disappointed in myself that I haven't pre-ordered the reissue of Ten yet. I actually made a list of things that I have to put money towards and the list went something like:
Pearl Jam reissue of Ten
Eye Doctor
Electric Bill
Cable Bill
Phone Bill
Dentist Appt

my priorities are in order.
who likes movies anyway

mogwai

i settled for the double cd version feat. the unplugged dvd. i'm sure bethie bought the expensive version, yeah? i thought the expensive version wasn't my bag. i don't own a vinyl player and if i had to buy one then it'd be very expensive. i think the remix versions are a bit better then the normal master. the extra tracks are good especially "evil little goat" which is basically a rehearsal of pure nonsense. i'm really looking forward to "vs" and "vitalogy". i'm interested to what extra stuff they have in bag for those albums.

Bethie

Quotei'm sure bethie bought the expensive version, yeah?

Worth every penny. I actually just got it today. I opened the envelope that had a poster and lots of pictures and all these little things fell out, a sticker, a ticket stub, a backstage pass, postcards, even a Mookie Blaylock trading card! All these little goodies that I didn't know were included. The composition book it came with, I've already looked through a few times. It has a sticker on the back that reads "I saw Pearl Jam" ha. love it.

Next up...a Pearl Jam tattoo! I don't have any tats and never cared for them. Never thought I'd get one.. but this band is a huge part of my life and I feel like it's something that has to be done. Not the stickman either.
who likes movies anyway

mogwai

reflecting back to the mtv unplugged thingie... it's very weird seeing all the guys long haired, young and filled with aggression. one thing is for sure, success came too early for them, not like it altered them forever but they've been touring the first album for two years and bending over for any possible moment they could get hold onto. i'm just rambling here (as always...) but i felt i wanted to air some views about these re-releases. it's kind of interesting seeing the flower full blooming.

Bethie

I watched the unplugged twice last night! I kept thinking the same thing, look how YOUNG they look, all that long hair! Kids.

Today another Eddie Vedder solo tour was announced. I want the entire band to tour. Just have to be patient I guess. It'll probably be announced that they're touring before and/or after Ed's solo dates.

Ed Vedder Solo Tour Dates:
* Indicates unconfirmed, possible "rollover" dates.
** No kama'aina discount

Jun 8 - Albany, NY - Palace Theatre
Jun 9* - Albany, NY - Palace Theatre
Jun 11 - Philadelphia, PA - Tower Theatre
Jun 12 - Philadelphia, PA - Tower Theatre
Jun 14 - Baltimore, MD - Lyric Opera House
Jun 15 - Baltimore, MD - Lyric Opera House
Jun 18 - Nashville, TN - Ryman Auditorium
Jun 20 - Memphis, TN - Orpheum
Jun 21* - Memphis, TN - Orpheum
Jun 23 - Atlanta, GA - Cobb Energy Performing Arts Ctr
Jun 24* - Atlanta, GA - Cobb Energy Performing Arts Ctr
Jun 29** - Maui, HI - Arts & Cultural Ctr - Castle Theatre
Jul 1** - Honolulu, HI - Hawaii Theatre Ctr
Jul 2** - Honolulu, HI - Hawaii Theatre Ctr

I don't plan on going to any.
who likes movies anyway

hedwig

cinephile told me the unplugged dvd features deleted scenes from State of Play. was he lying to me (again)?

MacGuffin

Pearl Jam album, film, tour in the works

NEW YORK (Billboard) – Pearl Jam is lining up U.S. concert dates for the second half of the year, including the Outside Lands Music & Arts Festival in San Francisco.

Along with Dave Matthews Band and the Beastie Boys, the group will headline the festival's second edition, scheduled for August 28-30 at Golden Gate Park.

M.I.A., Modest Mouse, the Mars Volta, Black Eyed Peas, Ween, Thievery Corporation, Incubus and Jason Mraz also are in the lineup, which was announced Monday.

Pearl Jam also has completed 14 songs for a new album and is working on a film with director Cameron Crowe, guitarist Mike McCready said in a recent radio interview.

McCready told Seattle's "Ron & Don Show" that the band is about halfway finished with its next album. McCready said the band expects to have the album out before the end of this year. Pearl Jam will self-release the album, its ninth.

As for touring, the band is doing a "little thing in the States," and aims to play South America in 2010, McCready said.

Pearl Jam is widely expected to be one of the headliners of this year's Austin City Limits Music Festival in Austin, Texas. The event's promoter, C3 Presents, declined to comment to Billboard about the lineup, but the Austin Chronicle is calling the band's involvement "the worst-kept secret since Metallica's SXSW (South by Southwest) showcase."

Dave Matthews Band, Beastie Boys and Kings of Leon also are expected to be announced as headliners on April 28.

Pearl Jam has long been courted by C3 Presents for the Austin festival, especially after the promoter convinced the band to play Lollapalooza in 2007, its first large festival show in the U.S. since the mid-1990s. Pearl Jam played the Bonnaroo festival, in Tennessee, in 2008.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

mogwai

Quote from: MacGuffin on April 14, 2009, 12:30:35 AMPearl Jam also has completed 14 songs for a new album and is working on a film with director Cameron Crowe, guitarist Mike McCready said in a recent radio interview.

yeah, "singles 2"... yawn...

tpfkabi

i was reading somewhere that they edited out some things Vedder said at the time of Unplugged - maybe about a girlfriend or something?
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Bethie

Quote from: bigideas on April 14, 2009, 11:57:29 AM
i was reading somewhere that they edited out some things Vedder said at the time of Unplugged - maybe about a girlfriend or something?

yes!! I noticed right away! Before singing State of Love and Trust he talked about how it was about his girlfriend Beth and that he hopes to get to see her later. pft

QuotePearl Jam also has completed 14 songs for a new album and is working on a film with director Cameron Crowe, guitarist Mike McCready said in a recent radio interview.

McCready told Seattle's "Ron & Don Show" that the band is about halfway finished with its next album. McCready said the band expects to have the album out before the end of this year. Pearl Jam will self-release the album, its ninth.

As for touring, the band is doing a "little thing in the States," and aims to play South America in 2010, McCready said.

I'm peeing.
who likes movies anyway

RegularKarate

It's pretty-much confirmed Pearl Jam will headline Austin City Limits festival this summer (fall).

Sonic Youth and Beastie Boys might be playing too.