Welles' The Magnificent Ambersons

Started by tpfkabi, March 29, 2003, 10:09:02 PM

AK

Quote from: jeremyll
But even the Vanity Fair publishers believe that the existence of the print is "quite likely". Until such time as a collector in Brazil gives up his ill-gotten gains, we won't know...if it has deteriorated into brown sludge, we'll never know anyway.

My Professor (a really old man) said this fellow is a collector(and former producer) who lives in the south, and he became close to Welles when he went shoot in here, and welles almost decided stay in here...it's kind of a urban legend of brazilian filmgoers....

A shame that one of his best (and sometimes underestimated) movies got a destiny like that...

I make my part keeping safe the (trash) bootleg VHS copy I got .....

Alethia

magnificent ambersons is better than kane in my opinion.  not to bash kane in any way, its brilliant.  but i liked ambersons more.  i liked touch of evil best out of his tho.  i need water......

AK

Quote from: ewardmagnificent ambersons is better than kane in my opinion.  not to bash kane in any way, its brilliant.  but i liked ambersons more.

Agree....Also the Stranger and The Third Man are fantastic...great shots and the mistery...but it's like: no matter what Welles will always be remembered by Kane (and The Marcians Invasion too)....

jeremyll

Quote from: AK

My Professor (a really old man) said this fellow is a collector(and former producer) who lives in the south, and he became close to Welles when he went shoot in here, and welles almost decided stay in here...it's kind of a urban legend of brazilian filmgoers....

Somehow, your post makes it seem even more likely that the print exists.

Knowing the particular mindset of film collectors helps. Collecting becomes almost a sickness, where lying, cheating, and stealing is OK as long as is it's for the sake of art.

Does your Professor know if the collector's still alive?

This all makes my heart pound with excitement.....Personally, I'd beg, borrow, or steal myself to get a chance to see the original..

AK

Quote from: jeremyll

Somehow, your post makes it seem even more likely that the print exists.

Knowing the particular mindset of film collectors helps. Collecting becomes almost a sickness, where lying, cheating, and stealing is OK as long as is it's for the sake of art.

Does your Professor know if the collector's still alive?

This all makes my heart pound with excitement.....Personally, I'd beg, borrow, or steal myself to get a chance to see the original..

Well this professor is a mad man,  69 years,  and is like a film encyclopedia, with a lot of contacts too...when he told this history nobody cared...i'm in my college holidays but 'ill speculate about it....

But  if this man is real  , he may be alive , otherwise the original would fall already in hands of someone else....