coen brothers--brilliant, but how?

Started by luctruff, September 07, 2003, 02:25:35 PM

luctruff

I realize there is probably a coen brothers thread out there and macguffin will probably get me on this, but goddamn the search engine never works well with me, so the hell with it....

what do you guys think of the coen brothers?  i can watch "Barton Fink" and "Fargo" and be convinced that they're genius, but then another much loved film by them, "The Big Lebowski" will make me think they're just making films that they know people will like....is it really that good of a movie if you're not stoned, come on?  I think they just really know how to make a movie that everyone will consider genius....maybe that makes them brilliant....but are they that great?  they certainly are a heavily influenced couple, ie pta and tarantino, but pta has more emotion and tarantino has more wit and charm....i'm just rambling on now, maybe you guys can find a question in here.....good day
"Every time I learn something new, it pushes out something old! Remember that time I took a home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

RegularKarate

Haha... there is an entire Forrum for the Brothers, welcome to it.

luctruff

i'm
too
lazy
to
look....by
the
way....nmy
keyboard
is
fucked....spilled
beer
on
it....it's
going
crazy....
"Every time I learn something new, it pushes out something old! Remember that time I took a home wine-making course and forgot how to drive?"

luctruff

you
guys
can
stop
being
dictators
and
allow
me
to
i
will,
right?
what
is
this
anyway?

ShanghaiOrange

Last five films (theater)
-The Da Vinci Code: *
-Thank You For Smoking: ***
-Silent Hill: ***1/2 (high)
-Happy Together: ***1/2
-Slither: **

Last five films (video)
-Solaris: ***1/2
-Cobra Verde: ***1/2
-My Best Fiend: **1/2
-Days of Heaven: ****
-The Thin Red Line: ***

MacGuffin

Quote from: luctruffI realize there is probably a coen brothers thread out there and macguffin will probably get me on this, but goddamn the search engine never works well with me, so the hell with it....

I don't get what you're asking. If it's what do we think about the Coen Bros., then go through the rest of the forum that is dedicated entirely to their films; each film having their own thread and other discussions. You don't need a search engine; just scroll down the list of topics in their forum.

EDIT: I see now, this was originally in the Directors' Forum. Try visiting here:
http://xixax.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=22
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

RegularKarate

Quote from: luctruffyou
guys
can
stop
being
dictators
and
allow
me
to
i
will,
right?
what
is
this
anyway?

What?  Did you pour beer on yourself as well?

Find Your Magali

Quote from: luctruffI realize there is probably a coen brothers thread out there and macguffin will probably get me on this, but goddamn the search engine never works well with me, so the hell with it....

what do you guys think of the coen brothers?  i can watch "Barton Fink" and "Fargo" and be convinced that they're genius, but then another much loved film by them, "The Big Lebowski" will make me think they're just making films that they know people will like....is it really that good of a movie if you're not stoned, come on?  I think they just really know how to make a movie that everyone will consider genius....maybe that makes them brilliant....but are they that great?  they certainly are a heavily influenced couple, ie pta and tarantino, but pta has more emotion and tarantino has more wit and charm....i'm just rambling on now, maybe you guys can find a question in here.....good day

For the record, I have seen The Big Lebowski four times, NEVER when stoned.

And I enjoyed it all four times.

What's wrong with making movies people enjoy? "The Big Lebowski" isn't going to solve the world's problems, but it's going to be remembered as a fun flick a lot longer than, say, (oh gosh, I'm about to offend someone) ... "Maid in Manhattan."

cine

i don't know if they're GREAT themselves.. but they're great with handling the style of their films.
"Fargo" is their best film overall though. Everything is brilliantly done.

Weak2ndAct

Cheap answer: sure, they're that great.

And as for Lebowski: read some Hammett and Chandler, see some old detective flicks and you'll see that they're doing a wonderful parody-- not just a *stoner* movie.

Pubrick

this thread is the definition of redundant.
under the paving stones.

mutinyco

this thread is the definition of reduntant.
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

ShanghaiOrange

mutinyco, that was the wrong thing to say.
Last five films (theater)
-The Da Vinci Code: *
-Thank You For Smoking: ***
-Silent Hill: ***1/2 (high)
-Happy Together: ***1/2
-Slither: **

Last five films (video)
-Solaris: ***1/2
-Cobra Verde: ***1/2
-My Best Fiend: **1/2
-Days of Heaven: ****
-The Thin Red Line: ***

©brad

Quote from: luctruffyou
guys
can
stop
being
dictators
and
allow
me
to
i
will,
right?
what
is
this
anyway?

its just hard to take this seriously
when
u
this.

in fact, i'm laughing my ass off as we speak, no offense.

luctruff

Okay, new keyboard and finally i have a way to defend myself, although i usually don't care to do so, since i don't care for myself that much and he's on his own and doesn't need me to look after him....
the reason the typing was in a column was because everytime i hit spacebar on my keyboard, it went to the next line....not trying to take up space....and obviously if i spilled beer on my keyboard, it can be said that i had been drinking a good bit that night...so i'm sure my question didn't come out the way it played out in my head..(surely i'm not the only person who takes premature action from rambling thoughts)...i suppose i wanted to ask something along the lines of if they are worthy of being called brilliant, which i've heard them called before, and it no doubt has to do with your defition of brilliant...but to me, they're brilliant in a techinical, film school way...in a way that you can learn filmmaking from a book....by the way, i'm not completely ignorant on this, i've been to film school and it was the best possible way to waste money....and honestly, i do like the coen brothers ....perhaps my thread could have had more to do with the term brilliance in regard to filmmakers, etc.....so there, that's all i have to say, and forgive my utterly pointless thread...i hope we can all be friends some day...