Short Script

Started by Pedro, February 04, 2003, 06:44:23 PM

Pedro

EXT. DESERT – NIGHT

We see shots of the bright orange New Mexico sun setting over a small house.  The house is no more than a cottage, nothing too special, but its significant feature is its location in the nearly lifeless desert.

INT. COTTAGE – NIGHT

We see a YOUNG MAN, probably 24 or so, wake up to an alarm clock that reads 10:24.  BEBOP MUSIC PLAYS on a radio.
Quick shots should show the YOUNG MAN waking up...getting dressed, washing his face, etc... He steps out of his rooms and makes his way to his door.

EXT. DESERT – NIGHT

The audience sees the SAME SHOT as before when the sun went down over the cottage.  Out steps the Young Man from the house.  He walks straight out almost INTO THE CAMERA'S PATH.  When he passes by, it starts to follow him (steadicam).  The ground makes crunching noises when he steps.  We follow him until he reaches his car.  The car is nothing special, a green Honda.  He gets in the car, the ignition sounds and we hear more JAZZ MUSIC played on his car radio.  Though the car is small it speeds fast on the desert road.  

EXT. ROAD

He drives for hours.  The road is pitch black.  Its yellow dashed line almost glows.  His tires hug the line as he drives.  

INT. CAR

The Young Man's jazz turns to static.  He hits the radio out of anger.  Hungry for music he turns the dial until he reaches the end of a commercial.  Thinking it will be music he relaxes.

CUT TO:
INT. RADIO STUDIO – THAT MOMENT

Two DJs, both around 40 sit behind a desk with their microphones.  A bible is in one's hand.  The bible-caresser is ZACK.  He looks at his partner JACOB and nods.  Jacob presses a button on the panel.

RADIO VOICE (V.O.)
WAR! WAR! WAR! We are your 24-hour war network.  WARR. Now with RAPTURE WATCH!

INT. CAR

The Young Man shifts uncomfortably.

INT. RADIO STUDIO

ZACK talks into his headset.

ZACK
Thanks for sticking around with us tonight.  It's about 12:23 right now and we're just getting started.  How'd you guys like that speech last night?  In it the president unveiled this new treatment program for drug-addicted citizens. Involving...um...faith programs that put God front and center.  I'm proud of our president for supporting groups like W.A.R.R.'s Teen Flock.  On a lighter note, the subject of debate tonight is our holy war against Iraq.  Call in with your opinions please, listeners.  I, personally, would like nothing better than to see that sick hater of all things good Hussein beaten into the ground.  But it seems that the crazy liberals in the country don't like it.  Sadly, they don't understand that when they do this, they're showing that they hate Jesus.

Jake nods in agreement.

JAKE
Amen.  Couldn't agree more about that whole Iraq thing...Look, here is why the good Lord wants us to attack Iraq...

INT. CAR

The Young Man lets out a loud groan of anger and hits the radio turning it off.

YOUNG MAN'S POV

A red glow is in the distance.  

TIME CUT

EXT. DINER PARKING – LATE NIGHT

The Young Man steps out of his car.  He walks into what appears to be a trailer.  The camera turns away from him when he steps inside the door and floats its way to a BRIGHT RED SIGN reading DINER in huge letters.

INT. DINER – LATE NIGHT

The Young Man steps into the diner.  Two men, CHAD and STEPHEN sit at the counter eating and talking.  They are as young as our protagonist.  They look normal enough with the exception of Chad's green hair color.

CHAD
(without turning around)
Hey, come and sit down...have some coffee, stranger.

A bit stunned the Young Man sits down beside Stephen.

STEPHEN
As I was saying though...The country's set of values is a bit strange.

CHAD
Elaborate.

STEPHEN
Well, everywhere I go, at least around here, there are American flags EVERYWHERE.  It's sort of stupid, really.  And advertising...that's even worse.  Cheerleaders.  Guns.  Beer.  I see almost nothing else.  What kind of message to this send out to people?

CHAD
Obviously not a good one.

The Young Man breaks his silence.

YOUNG MAN
It's the football set of values.

Stephen and Chad give him a stare, intrigued.

STEPHEN
What is that supposed to mean?

YOUNG MAN
You can see all of those things you mentioned, all of those "values", by watching football.

BEAT

YOUNG MAN
The pre-game show...Before the game there is this like...patriot extravaganza, or something.  All these soldiers run onto the field carrying this massive American flag, right?  And then this pop singer wails out The National Anthem.

CHAD
I hate that song.

YOUNG MAN
Me too.  It's being sung and afterwards these huge, like F-18 fighter planes, do this "fly-over" and show anyone who's watching our big bad guns.  Everything that is commonplace is all there, man.  We got your intense militarism...this huge amount of forced nationalism sprung out of "keeping this nation together..."we think that if we have all these flags and stupid songs and planes that we're powerful and better than everyone else when really we're just showing other countries that we're idiots.  It's not bringing anything good to us at all.  Not only that, this gets better, during this whole gospel according to St. America thing they're showing shots of cheerleaders of all things.  To sum up...we got the GUNS the FLAGS the SONG the BEER and the WOMEN.  It's like a redneck's dream.  It's just the fuckin' standard to be considered a goober.  It's ridiculous, man, just ridiculous.

The other gentlemen have nothing to add.  Stephen nods and spaces out a little, thinking of something.  Chad just looks forward again, silent.  As they are quiet we begin to notice that on the speakers in the diner, W.A.R.R. IS PLAYING.  The Young Man shifts uncomfortably again.  Stephen leans to the Young Man and whispers:

STEPHEN
It's horrible isn't it?  But it's not my place so I'll just let him do whatever he wants.

Just then the headwaiter and manager TOM walks up to the counter.  He notices the Young Man, his new customer next to his regulars.

TOM
Anything I can get for you?

YOUNG MAN
Yeah, sure.  Could I have a menu?

Tom hands him one.

YOUNG MAN
Thanks.

STEPHEN
Tom, why do you listen to this anyway?

Tom stares down and smiles.  He speaks with the booming voice of a southern preacher.

TOM
You just don't get it do you?  This is the Lord's radio.  This station speaks so much truth...WOW...I feel holy just tuning into it.  By listening to God's word I become a better person inside.  I hear Zack and Jake and my spirits lift up with joyousness.  I HEAR TRUMPETS!  I KNOW THAT HE IS WITH ME!

CHAD
I don't...

TOM
Well then God bless you, son.  And may He have mercy on your pitiful little soul.  (To God) Do you hear that?  We have a non-believer here.  He doesn't believe in all your great gifts, Lord.  Dear God, I do hope that you try your best to make him see the truth. (To Chad) He says he'll try, boy.  Let me give you something...

He pulls out a small pocket bible and hands it to Chad.

TOM
    (continued)
You'll need this.  Read it and be saved.

CHAD
Um, I'm sorry, Tom, but I won't use this.

TOM
But, son, this is so simple.  All you have to do is read.  It will save you...do you understand?

CHAD
Actually...no I don't.

TOM
20 years and you're still blind.  

He looks down...Stephen is quiet.  Chad takes a drink and stares at the clock on the wall.  There is a VERY UNCOMFORTABLE SILENCE.  We hear on the radio:

ZACK (V.O)
This is late breaking news here ladies and gentlemen.  There has been an ANTICHRIST ALERT and severe RAPTURE WATCH going in affect now...
Tom looks up quickly...he is alert now.  Chad and the Young Man laugh.

YOUNG MAN
I'd like a slice of cherry pie if possible.  Ummmm...some coffee too...black coffee.

Still listening to the broadcast Tom takes his order.

TOM
Let's get that for ya. (To kitchen) Hey James, cherry pie ok?

The camera shows a young chef named JAMES over a stack of deserts with a knife in hand.  He smiles at Tom.

JAMES
Sure thing.

TIME CUT
INT DINER – HOURS LATER

The Young Man has finished his pie along with about 4 cups of coffee.  Chad and Stephen are still there talking but now the Young Man has opened up a bit and is conversing as well.  They all share a big laugh.  The radio continues.

CUT TO:
INT. RADIO STATION – THAT MOMENT

Zack and Jake both have extremely serious looks on their faces.  But somehow they also seem a bit happy about something.

ZACK
I can't believe this...I mean.  Wow.  It's really happening.  We only have a few minutes...

INT. DINER – THAT MOMENT

We see the Young Man ask James for something else from the kitchen.  He pulls out money to pay James but James refuses to receive it and smiles again.  He pats the Young Man on the back and walks back to the kitchen.  During this we hear Zack.

ZACK(V.O)
My whole life I've been waiting for this moment...

TOM is outside with his arms outstretched to the heavens.

ZACK(V.O.)
...And finally it has arrived.  America...I am so happy for this...It is now the time for us to go.  And for those who are left behind, I wish you good luck and hope that you find strength in the power of the Lord.  Now, last minute donations are to be accepted in our business offices right now.  Who knows, God may see that you support us and save you as well.  Oh dear it's coming soon.  Ok...
10...9...8...7...6...5...4...3...2...1...God bless...

NOTHING HAPPENS

INT. RADIO STATION

Zack and Jake open their eyes and stare at each other, stunned.

ZACK
It appears to have been...a false alarm.  A glitch in our computer system...this is...wow.  I'm sorry...I'm not sure what to say, listeners.  

INT. DINER

TOM walks through the door.  He is also confused.  Chad, Stephen and the Young Man seem to be amused by the whole thing.  They go on as if nothing has happened.

YOUNG MAN
Where's that omelet?

Suddenly, smoke begins to rise from the kitchen.  A smoke detector goes off.  All three young men stand up and go into the kitchen.  By the stove there is no James.  

YOUNG MAN'S POV

There is a pile of clothes on the floor.  

The men say nothing.  The light from a rising sun begins to fill the room.  BEBOP MUSIC FROM THE BEGINNING plays.  The sun reflects off A CROSS on top of James' clothes.

CUT TO:
Black Frame

END

I have no title to this as of now....any help?

RegularKarate

Is this the script for Left Behind?

Pedro

Would Left Behind ever make any commentary towards christian radio?  Left Behind embraces that which I satirize.

Xixax

I like it. Having had a great deal of personal experience with Christian radio, I can tell you that some of the most screwed up people you'll ever meet stand behind microphones. They're not all bad, in fact, most are pretty great. But there are definitely the freaks out there. I've come in contact with many of them over the years.

Yeah, I liked this a lot, Pedro. I definitely identified with it. I would love to see this shot for real on film some day.
Quote from: Pas RapportI don't need a dick in my anus to know I absolutely don't want a dick in my anus.
[/size]

Pedro

QuoteYeah, I liked this a lot, Pedro. I definitely identified with it. I would love to see this shot for real on film some day.

Thanks.  I would too, but I think some of these locations would be hard to come by.

BonBon85

This is more of an observational comment than a criticism, but why do 50% of short films seem to take place in diners?

Pedro

Well I know that mine is in a diner because it seems like a natural place for conversation.

Xixax

I think it goes back to PTA saying something to the effect of "a cup of coffee and a cigarette is a good place to start a story."

I'll make a note to avoid diners in anything I may write in the future, no matter how tempting it might be.
Quote from: Pas RapportI don't need a dick in my anus to know I absolutely don't want a dick in my anus.
[/size]

Jon

I'd like to see this as a feature film, with this being one of the scenes in it.

Jon

I liked your dialgue, too.

RegularKarate

Quote from: Pedro the WombatWould Left Behind ever make any commentary towards christian radio?  Left Behind embraces that which I satirize.

Yeah...  I wasn't serious at all... it also wasn't meant badly...

Though, well, I guess it wasn't satire enough for me to see it as such.

I thought it was alright though... just didn't think it accomplished what it was going for... maybe it would have felt better for me if the first half were shorter and the second half longer.  That's just me though.

Pedro

Thank you for criticism...Any help with a title?  I'm horrible with them.

Sigur Rós

This is good stuff. Nice dialoges! Have you ever made something else?

Pedro

Not really...Shot some experimental like things, but no serious projects like this.

Pedro

Though I'm sure you don't care...i updated the script to the version that I wrote shortly after this.  it's a hell of a lot better.