Do you fuck the industry you want to be in?

Started by kotte, October 09, 2003, 08:22:19 AM

metroshane

Well, first they have tried to put a stop to used CD's (remember Garth Brooks?), but they weren't successful.  

The difference in buying a used CD and downloading is that the theory is that when someone sells that CD...they lose the priveledge of owning that song.  You are not supposed to make copies for that reason.  The law allows you to make copies for you own use...as back up or in a different medium, not so you can recoup your cost for the original.  However, when you download...you are simply making an indentical copy and now two people own and are listening to that song.  

If your friend wrote an entire paper on piracy and can't see that, well, I'm glad I'm not grading him.
We live in an age that reads too much to be intelligent and thinks too much to be beautiful.

MacGuffin

Calif. Readies for New Movie Piracy Law

LOS ANGELES (AP) - Sneaking a camcorder into a movie theater will soon be a crime in California under a new law designed to protect both copyrights and the livelihood of thousands of movie industry workers.

"This industry is the economic engine that moves this city,'' Police Chief William Bratton said at a City Hall press conference Thursday.

The new law, which takes effect Jan. 1, allows moviegoers to make a citizen's arrest if they see someone in a theater with a recording device. Signs will also be posted at all Los Angeles County theaters notifying patrons of the new law.

The effort is aimed mainly at camcorders, which account for 92 percent of all illegal copies of films that appear for sale over the Internet and are sold on street corners, according to the Motion Picture Association of America. The MPAA is seeking to enact similar laws in other states and is backing an effort to make the illegal taping of a film a federal felony.

The law, which was signed by former Gov. Gray Davis, was written to also include future technologies and could be enforced against people recording all or parts of a film with a tape recorder, hand-held computer or even a cell phone.

City and county law enforcement officers say they will respond to calls from theaters to assist in making the citizen's arrest if resources permit. People convicted under the law could be subject to a maximum one year in jail and a fine of $2,500.

"These thieves are stealing from Los Angeles and are stealing from American creativity,'' city attorney Rocky Delgadillo said Thursday.

Clutching a palm-sized camcorder in one hand, Delgadillo paraphrased the movie character "Dirty Harry,'' portrayed by actor Clint Eastwood. "If you carry one of these into a movie theater, you have to ask yourself, 'Do I feel lucky?'''
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

NEON MERCURY

HAHAHAHAA ...that last paragraph is pure cheese.like this.... :mrgreen:

freakerdude

Quote from: RaikusYou can't compare downloading movies to downloading music. For one, with music downloads, you are getting the exact same product as you would if you get the CD. There is no degradation, therefore, it is more of a temptation to just download it instead of buy it.
This is not necessarily true. I have heard many MP3s that were modified by ppl using EQ software. I have heard some pretty crappy studio recordings end up sounding muffled or majorly distorted even at low volume. You are not always d/l ing the exact same song in it's studio released version (so to speak).

I have never d/l ed movies from the net since my pc doesn't even compare anywhere near my home theater set up. I want the best sound and picture available and not have to sit 3' from the screen. It's like AM vs. FM radio.....remember AM?
MC Pee Pants

NEON MERCURY

Yo!!!! Freak!!!!! i wanted say that your AV is solid...... 8)

freakerdude

Thanks Neon. I see that ppl change them every so often and figured that everyone got tired of seeing Bobby Peru's head blown off. I'll have to come up with one even better this next time though.
MC Pee Pants

Sanjuro

piracy is a majjor thing where im from...
sometimes its very hard to resist especially when theres a new movie that you really want to watch and you know will never show where you are.
"When you see your own photo, do you say you're a fiction?"

Raikus

Quote from: freakerdude
Quote from: RaikusYou can't compare downloading movies to downloading music. For one, with music downloads, you are getting the exact same product as you would if you get the CD. There is no degradation, therefore, it is more of a temptation to just download it instead of buy it.
This is not necessarily true. I have heard many MP3s that were modified by ppl using EQ software. I have heard some pretty crappy studio recordings end up sounding muffled or majorly distorted even at low volume. You are not always d/l ing the exact same song in it's studio released version (so to speak).

I have never d/l ed movies from the net since my pc doesn't even compare anywhere near my home theater set up. I want the best sound and picture available and not have to sit 3' from the screen. It's like AM vs. FM radio.....remember AM?
But this is the exception rather than the norm. I'd say if you seek out to download a song 90% of the time it will be the exact same file as what you'd get if you ripped it from the CD. But with movies, the visual aspect ensures that you'll want to see it in the best possible setting (i.e. theater).
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

godardian

Quote from: RaikusNo computer is ever going to compete with the screen, sound, and feeling of seeing a good movie in a theater.

That's exactly why I've never downloaded a movie unless that's the only possible way to see it.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Gamblour.

Quote from: godardian
Quote from: RaikusNo computer is ever going to compete with the screen, sound, and feeling of seeing a good movie in a theater.

That's exactly why I've never downloaded a movie unless that's the only possible way to see it.

Yeah, I downloaded Eraserhead, because I wanted to see it before I dished out, what, fifty bucks for it. I think the aspect ratio is wrong though oh well.

I've downloaded lots of movies, but it was mostly because I liked to say I had them, I haven't actually watched them. A few I will one of these days.
WWPTAD?

haps6296

Quote from: metroshane
QuoteI don't know, I've talked to a lot of 'working stiffs' who think the ad is a joke.

Well it may indeed be a joke if their expectations are that it will stop pirating.  I think that is true, it will not stop pirating.  However, not having food on the table is not a joke, we can agree on that.  And the commercial gets to the heart of the matter whether it's effective or not.

I haven't seen this commercial (don't know that I want to) but GIVE ME A BREAK.  (no offense).  If you can provide one shred of evidence that somebody is actually going hungry because people are downloading movies I'll eat my words, no pun intended (ok, maybe it was).  I'll be the first to admit my complete cluelessness in terms of actual figures on how pirating movies is affecting the industry but I would love to see some if anybody has them, even if they prove me wrong (which I know someone out there would just love to do).  My uninformed guess would be in the vicinity of %0.001.
"Keep your lamplight trimmed and burning!"

haps6296

Quote from: kotteHow do we know this? How do we know they're trying to use other industries etc? Isn't it possible that they are concerned about this? That they don't want to lose money?

Do you honestly think they're out to screw the public? It's like we think all industries are corrupted.

Maybe I'm naive...or maybe not.

I think that the association with wanting to make as much money as possible and corruption is something that is in a lot of people's minds, but making as much money as possible is what any company is encouraged to do.  The real question is should the average person who downloads a movie give a sh*t about people who don't give a sh*t about them?
"Keep your lamplight trimmed and burning!"

MacGuffin

LAPD captain arrested for DVD piracy
Associated Press

LOS ANGELES - A veteran police captain was arrested Tuesday for allegedly selling pirated and counterfeit DVDs, authorities said.

Hollywood patrol Capt. Julie D. Nelson, a 28-year veteran, was arrested in the Orange County city of La Palma, the LAPD said.

More than 100 pirated and counterfeit DVDs were found in her home and in cars, authorities said.

Nelson was arrested for investigation of two felonies: failure to disclose the origin of a recording or audiovisual work and possession and sale of a counterfeit trademark or registered mark.

She has been relieved of duty and assigned to her home, according to an LAPD press statement.

Officer Jason Lee said the LAPD's Professional Standards Bureau began to investigate after receiving a tip that Nelson might be involved in illegal DVD sales.

The bureau conducted an undercover operation and bought several pirated copies, he said.

"When the department receives information that one of its own is breaking the law, regardless of rank, we will pursue every lead using every available resource," LAPD First Assistant Chief Jim McDonnell said.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Slick Shoes

"She has been relieved of duty and assigned to her house."  :lol:

Ravi

Aren't the bigger piracy culprits the people in labs and studios with access to a film rather than the people sneaking camcorders into theaters?