dropping frames in capture

Started by Tiff, August 04, 2003, 03:36:34 AM

Xixax

Premiere doesn't come with any capture hardware, but you can find capture hardware that comes with Premiere... And, beware of those cheap firewire cards, too. They might work, but they might not. If you are serious about doing video, you're much better off to spend a little more and get something that's certified by Adobe to work with Premiere. It'll set you back a good amount, but it's worth the headaches and frustration you'll save yourself down the line if you use it for anything serious.

Of course, those firewire cards are so cheap now that in the meantime while you're saving for a good DV cap board, there's nothing to say you can't play around with a cheap one.

There are several things you need to look at if you are having problems with dropped frames in your capture.

1: Hard drive speed. 5400 RPM drives are not fast enough. 7200 RPM drives are better, and get one with as much onboard cache as you can. I use a 120 gig 7200 RPM WD Caviar drive with an 8 meg buffer. I never have dropped frames - ever.

2: Make sure you have the proper motherboard drivers installed for your OS. This isn't something that Windows installs - you have to install them from the CD given to you from the manufacturer of your motherboard, or download them online. VIA chipsets use a utility called "4 in 1" that includes IDE drivers, PCI drivers and other stuff. Other chipsets have similar drivers. Without those low-level motherboard drivers, you're only getting probably 20% of the throughput from your PCI bus as you should. You NEED those low-level motherboard drivers, so go to your manufacturer's web site, match the model number of your motherboard (be sure you're getting the right ones or you could screw up everything), and install them.

3: More RAM... Yeah. That helps, too.

The system I built for about $1.5k includes a P4 2.4 Ghz processor, 1 gig RAM, a 120 gig 7200 RPM HD, and a modest video card. I'm also using the onboard sound. I then spent an extra $600 on a Matrox RT-X10 (which INCLUDES Premiere), and I've been loving it. It works extremely well.
Quote from: Pas RapportI don't need a dick in my anus to know I absolutely don't want a dick in my anus.
[/size]

aclockworkjj

Quote from: SickSacksPremiere doesn't come with any capture hardware, but you can find capture hardware that comes with Premiere... And, beware of those cheap firewire cards, too. They might work, but they might not. If you are serious about doing video, you're much better off to spend a little more and get something that's certified by Adobe to work with Premiere. It'll set you back a good amount, but it's worth the headaches and frustration you'll save yourself down the line if you use it for anything serious.

Of course, those firewire cards are so cheap now that in the meantime while you're saving for a good DV cap board, there's nothing to say you can't play around with a cheap one.

There are several things you need to look at if you are having problems with dropped frames in your capture.

1: Hard drive speed. 5400 RPM drives are not fast enough. 7200 RPM drives are better, and get one with as much onboard cache as you can. I use a 120 gig 7200 RPM WD Caviar drive with an 8 meg buffer. I never have dropped frames - ever.

2: Make sure you have the proper motherboard drivers installed for your OS. This isn't something that Windows installs - you have to install them from the CD given to you from the manufacturer of your motherboard, or download them online. VIA chipsets use a utility called "4 in 1" that includes IDE drivers, PCI drivers and other stuff. Other chipsets have similar drivers. Without those low-level motherboard drivers, you're only getting probably 20% of the throughput from your PCI bus as you should. You NEED those low-level motherboard drivers, so go to your manufacturer's web site, match the model number of your motherboard (be sure you're getting the right ones or you could screw up everything), and install them.

3: More RAM... Yeah. That helps, too.

The system I built for about $1.5k includes a P4 2.4 Ghz processor, 1 gig RAM, a 120 gig 7200 RPM HD, and a modest video card. I'm also using the onboard sound. I then spent an extra $600 on a Matrox RT-X10 (which INCLUDES Premiere), and I've been loving it. It works extremely well.
sir...you rule...I just bought this....added some shit...tweeked some things...it has been workin' well

Tiff

thanks for all your help, but i'm still confused on what type of ram (ddr ram or sdram) to get. because i have an amd duron 850, would that mean i'd have to get sdram (does it even work like that?), or can i just get whatever?
"Shut the fuck up!"

aclockworkjj

Quote from: Tiffthanks for all your help, but i'm still confused on what type of ram (ddr ram or sdram) to get. because i have an amd duron 850, would that mean i'd have to get sdram (does it even work like that?), or can i just get whatever?
sdram...I am assuming all AMD 800mhz (someone correct me if I am wrong), take this...just gotta be careful installing it, as you have to open up the entire computer...you will see probably 2 slots, maybe 3
Here is an image of what one type of AMD Duran motherboard looks like.  The ram slots are the 3 black, with white little locks on both ends...(near the bottom right of the photo)

ReelHotGames

QuoteSo, apparantly when you buy adobe they give you a capture card. Am i wrong?

Actually when you buy a higher end capture card they usually give you premiere...

Pinnacle DV500 for example
"Body Count Cinema the Customizable Card Game"
A cinematic CCG coming to a coffee table near you!
www.reelhotgames.com/BodyCountCinema_Home.htm