lighting bar interior

Started by jasper_window, July 21, 2003, 09:10:26 AM

jasper_window

I'm gearing up for a short film, and I'm going to shoot stuff, in a bar, during business hours.  I want the portion of the film to have a rough and dirty documentary feel, but I don't want to compensate light for that look.  Anyone have any suggestions of how I can use an added light source without it looking obvious.  Thanks a bunch.

Ghostboy

Lighting bars is really pretty easy...there are so many random light sources you can take advantage of and/or imitate (beer signs, refrigerators, etc.) without taking away from the ambience of the place.
You can bounce light off pool tables and napkins sitting on the bar itself.
It really depends on what you're shooting on, and what sort of light package you have.

Also, when you're shooting there, MAKE SURE that all of the refrigerators and compressors are turned off.

jasper_window

Yes, you see, and you may think I'm a fool, which I certainly may be, but I'm literally going to go into the bar with a camera, my actor miked, and shoot him.  There is very light dialogue of importance.  I mainly wanna get the footage to be used in flashback.  I also don't have the money to rent the place out and fill it with extras.  I figured I'd go in a busy night, and shoot stuff.  I'm not going to be able to use lights you would typically use for shooting a scene.  There is a decent amount of light in there and I might be fine.  I've thought about flashlights and bouncing them off a small whitecard.  I appreciate the tips, but if you have any truly guerilla style tips those would be great.

Ghostboy

Honestly, you'll be fine. The lighting in a bar is already 'stylized' enough to get away with going natural. I've done the same thing a few times. You won't have as much control as you would with a light kit, but it'll work out. You really should get a few people to sit around in the background, though...it'll make a huge amount of difference. And just remember to turn all those noisemakers off...

jasper_window

ReelHotGames

Also if the footage is intended to be flashbacks you can always alter the look of all flashbacks in post, giving them a different hue or making them more grainy than the rest.

But bar lighting is always surprisingly broght on film, especially those neons which can bleed. Since your shooting guerilla style, which I say bravo to, I would say forget worrying about anything other than getting the shots you need and then record some room tone in case you have to re-record any of the actors dialogue in post.
"Body Count Cinema the Customizable Card Game"
A cinematic CCG coming to a coffee table near you!
www.reelhotgames.com/BodyCountCinema_Home.htm

jasper_window

thanks for the info.  I'm really excited to shoot guerilla.  It's going to be a deal where the actor will stay in character and interact with random people in the bar.  His character has won the lottery so we're going to pretend that I'm his friend documenting the night before he becomes a millionaire.  sorry for rambling thanks again

jokerspath

Quote from: jasper_windowthanks for the info.  I'm really excited to shoot guerilla.  It's going to be a deal where the actor will stay in character and interact with random people in the bar.  His character has won the lottery so we're going to pretend that I'm his friend documenting the night before he becomes a millionaire.  sorry for rambling thanks again

Sounds kinda neat.  Let us know how the interactions go...

aw
THIS IS NOT AN EXIT

jasper_window

ReelHotGames

What's your plan for this? Because it sound scool, but your not going to be able to show it anywhere unless you get everyone who appears on camera to sign a waiver, which sort of ruins the whole idea.

Unless you clear it with the bar and post an inconspicious sign at the door with a blanket statement like "this establishment is currently being filmed by XXX entertainment, by entering you are consenting that your image and voice may be used for all subsequent film, video, DVD, and internet usage, as well as any and all usage that XXX entertainment deams necessary."

SoNowThen

You should actually use "XXX" Entertainment. Bar people will be into that. Maybe you'll get some REALLY :wink:  good footage.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

jasper_window

that's something that didn't even occur to me, sadly.  Michael, would a sign with a blanket statement cover me legally?  I wouldn't have a problem having people sign waivers.  I know the manager of the bar and many other people who work there so I was going to let the manager know I was coming in just so he wouldn't be alarmed if I was following a guy around with a camera.

ReelHotGames

A blanket statement will cover you legally if you have the manager / owner of the bar sign a waiver allowing you to use the location. This is what happens with many location shoots where the locations are not closed. Legally your covered as long as you have a waiver to use the location.

jasper_window

excellent thank you very much.  There are a few bars I want to go to, so this will be very helpful.  Cheers!