Jump Cut? im Confused.

Started by prophet, July 17, 2003, 09:28:42 PM

Pubrick

under the paving stones.

Cecil

Quote from: prophetisnt that kinda what i said ? " 'A' is in the building then he starts to walk towards the door and then cut to: him in his car driving."

no because that would be 2 shots. 1 in the building of the guy walking out, then another of him driving away outside the building.

jumps cuts are also used profusely in on-camera interviews. you know when theres a cut, removing perhaps a few phrases, but its still the same shot. if theyre shooting with 2 or 3 cameras and it cuts into a closeup then thats not really the same thing

heres a little bit of talk on jump cuts

TheVoiceOfNick

Quote from: Pso, prophet, how old are u?

I think you've asked this in every thread he's written... i would like to know also...

Nick

prophet

We gonna do a little Q&A Mr. Worley, and at the risk of sounding redundant please... make your answers Genuine...

Pubrick

well, i guess technically a lie is still an answer.
under the paving stones.

jasper_window

The scene in the beginning of The Usual Suspects when Benicio is walking down the sidewalk and the cops drive by and he turns around trying to avoid.  Go watch the sequence.  There are a few jump cuts there.  Him walking.  Officers out of the car, his hands in the air, etc.

ReelHotGames

Let's make it very simple. Since his avatar is PTA the driving scene at the beginning of Syndey (Hard Eight).

John is in the back seat the horn blows and it JUMPS to him being in the front seat. That is a JUMP CUT.
"Body Count Cinema the Customizable Card Game"
A cinematic CCG coming to a coffee table near you!
www.reelhotgames.com/BodyCountCinema_Home.htm

SoNowThen

Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

mutinyco

SOMEBODY PLEASE JUMP-CUT THIS FUCKING THREAD!
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

Cecil

Quote from: mutinycoSOMEBODY PLEASE JUMP-CUT THIS FUCKING THREAD!

yeah, i have no idea what that means

SoNowThen

Quote from: Cecil B. Demented
Quote from: mutinycoSOMEBODY PLEASE JUMP-CUT THIS FUCKING THREAD!

yeah, i have no idea what that means

ditto
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Link

Recce

Any Oliver Stone film is saturated with jump cuts. Sorry to start it up again, but its true.
P.S. A guy walking out of his apartment and then cut to him in his car is two shots, and would be an elipsis, not a jump cut.
"The idea had been growing in my brain for some time: TRUE force. All the king's men
                        cannot put it back together again." (Travis Bickle, "Taxi Driver")

sickfins

i will administer you all a final, free, five megabyte lesson

lesson (mpg)

Cecil

your lesson doesnt seem to work