COPYRIGHT PERMISSION

Started by Xeditor, January 18, 2003, 12:59:55 PM

Xeditor

Ok, how do I go about getting permission to use a copyrighted song for a video of mine.  Is it even a realistic thought.  The song is part of the soundtrack from Unbreakable by James Newton Howard.
The length of a film should be directly related to the endurance of the human bladder.

sphinx

Quote from: XeditorOk, how do I go about getting permission to use a copyrighted song for a video of mine.  Is it even a realistic thought.  The song is part of the soundtrack from Unbreakable by James Newton Howard.

if you're releasing the movie, showing it on tv, or making people pay to see it, it might be a good idea to research it a bit.  i strongly doubt you will get permission for the score even if you tried, but it pretty much depends on what your 'video' is and how you're showing it.

Xeditor

Well first and foremost i am using it for a scholarship.  But if possible, id like to enter it into film festivals.  Its just a five minute short.
The length of a film should be directly related to the endurance of the human bladder.

Xeditor

Does anyone know where i can find good, royalty free scores?

aclockworkjj

I suggest, find a friend who plays an instrument.....shit, you can do a lot with a single guitar or piano....it's a 5 min. short....do you really need an entire orchestra????

Just a thought.....

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: XeditorDoes anyone know where i can find good, royalty free scores?

Try archive.org, but I don't know if you'll find any scores, and don't take my word that it's all royalty free (read the site's fine print).

ReelHotGames

For licensing of music the best place to start is at www.ascap.com this is the official website for the american society of composers, authors and publishers and they have a licensing section.

For film festival use there is an application, and usually you'll be granted festival rights, these rights will not extend to use in any further presentation of this project, so if it were picked up for TV viewing a DVD etc... You'd then have to re-negotiate, but this is the best way if you're looking for putting little or no money up front and using copyrighted material. You'll need clearances to ba able to show at a film festival, if they hear "American Woman" in your movie, they'll want the clearance before they accept you.

For adding your own score, hit the music shops, put up some fliers, you're looking to collaborate on a score for a short film, you'd be suprised how many people turn up out of the woodwork.

And lastly, DO IT YOURSELF, grab a copy of ACID ($40) and buy yourself a couple volumes of ACID LOOPS (I recommend CINEMATIC) and arrange your own score. That's what we've done for our online film and it's working great.

Michael Alessandro
www.fof-films.com
"Body Count Cinema the Customizable Card Game"
A cinematic CCG coming to a coffee table near you!
www.reelhotgames.com/BodyCountCinema_Home.htm

Oasis_fan_2003

If you would like I could write you a score. I do a lot of music much like the band sigur ros. I enjoy writing soundtracks for my friend he makes films. The last film was horror, i had a fun time making tracks that scare the piss out of poeple. Instant message me on aol rockinrollstar03
We can discuss stuff