Who's Next To Croak?

Started by cine, September 28, 2003, 11:07:39 AM

mogwai

Former Sex Pistols manager Malcom McLaren dies at 64

Malcolm McLaren, the former manager of punk group the Sex Pistols, has died in New York, aged 64, his agent has said.

McLaren, the ex-partner of designer Vivienne Westwood, was believed to have been diagnosed with cancer a while ago.

He set up a clothes shop and label with Westwood on London's King's Road in the 1970s and was later a businessman and performer in his own right.

The couple had a son, Joseph Corre, the co-founder of lingerie shop Agent Provocateur.

His agent told the BBC McLaren passed away on Thursday morning.

Spokesman Les Malloy said he expected McLaren's body to be returned to the UK.

McLaren also managed a number of other bands, including the New York Dolls and Bow Wow Wow before producing his own records including the much-sampled track Double Dutch from the 1983 album Duck Rock.

He continued to be involved in the culture and arts scene up until his death.

MacGuffin

Pioneering film editor Dede Allen dies at 86

LOS ANGELES - Dede Allen, the film editor whose pioneering work on movies like "The Hustler" and "Bonnie and Clyde" brought a new approach to shaping the look and sound of American movies, has died. She was 86.

Her son Tom Fleischman tells the Los Angeles Times Allen died Saturday at her home in Los Angeles days after suffering a stroke.

With "Bonnie and Clyde" in 1967, Allen became the first film editor to receive sole credit on a movie. She was nominated for Oscars for that movie, as well as "Dog Day Afternoon," "Reds" and "Wonder Boys."

Allen was the first to embrace European methods of editing by beginning sequences with close-ups or jump cuts and using the sound from the next shot while the previous scene was still playing.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

mogwai

Guru from Gang Starr died yesterday of complications of cancer. R.I.P.

Stefen

Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

MacGuffin

Actress Lynn Redgrave has died at age 67

NEW YORK - Lynn Redgrave, an introspective and independent player in her family's acting dynasty who became a 1960s sensation as the freethinking title character of "Georgy Girl" and later dramatized her troubled past in such one-woman stage performances "Shakespeare for My Father" and "Nightingale," has died. She was 67.

Her publicist Rick Miramontez, speaking on behalf of her children, said Redgrave died Sunday night at her Manhattan apartment. In 2003, Redgrave had been treated for breast cancer.

Her death comes a year after her niece Natasha Richardson died from head injuries sustained in a skiing accident and just a month after the death of her older brother, Corin Redgrave.

The youngest child of Michael Redgrave and Rachel Kempson, Lynn Redgrave never quite managed the acclaim — or notoriety — of elder sibling Vanessa Redgrave, but received Oscar nominations for "Georgy Girl" and "Gods and Monsters," and Tony nominations for "Mrs. Warren's Profession," "Shakespeare for My Father" and "The Constant Wife."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

This is a complete tragedy (not to take away tragedy from any other post in this thread) but this guy along with Julie Bell, Joe Jusko and Boris Vallejo were all incredibly important artists to me growing up.  

http://www.avclub.com/articles/rip-frank-frazetta,41001/

RIP Frank Frazetta

By Jason Heller May 10, 2010

A giant of fantasy art as towering as the heroes, heroines, and monsters he famously painted, Frank Frazetta has died at the age of 82. As reported by The Beat, the artist—best known for his rich, vivid portrayals of mythic beasts and warriors like Conan and Tarzan—succumbed to a stroke today. Frazetta had recently suffered from a thyroid condition, dementia, and a series of strokes, plus a public struggle within his family for the rights to his work.

In addition to the iconic imagery he produced for book covers, magazines, posters, calendars, comics like Harvey Kurtzman's Little Annie Fanny, and animated films like Ralph Bakshi's Fire And Ice, Frazetta was also known for his rock album cover art, most notably those he did for Dust, Nazareth, Wolfmother, and Molly Hatchet. Rest in peace, Mr. Frazetta. Actually, scratch that: May you gallop into glorious battle with an army of epic-chested Valkyries at your back for all eternity.

"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

New Feeling

Not to take away from the loss of Frank Frazetta but the death of any 82 year-old by stoke doesn't really qualify as "tragedy"

Pozer

Quote from: New Feeling on May 10, 2010, 04:05:26 PM
Not to take away from the loss of Frank Frazetta but the death of any 82 year-old by stoke some dude no one's ever heard of save for über nerds doesn't really qualify

squints

Patton Oswalt's twitter:

"RIP Frank Frazetta. '70s-era make-out vans should dim their headlights in tribute."
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote from: Pozer on May 10, 2010, 04:36:52 PM
Quote from: New Feeling on May 10, 2010, 04:05:26 PM
Not to take away from the loss of Frank Frazetta but the death of any 82 year-old by stoke some dude no one's ever heard of save for über nerds doesn't really qualify

Shouldn't you be somewhere contributing nothing to another thread?
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

pete

seriously guys, how dare you mention the name of someone pas has never heard of?
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Pas

Quote from: pete on May 11, 2010, 03:57:23 AM
seriously guys, how dare you mention the name of someone pas has never heard of?

You see me in your dreams or what?

Pubrick

Quote from: Pas on May 11, 2010, 06:20:34 AM
Quote from: pete on May 11, 2010, 03:57:23 AM

You see me in your dreams or what?

hahaha. pete must've forgotten his glasses yesterday.
under the paving stones.

pete

"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

mogwai

Black Sabbath and Dio singer Ronnie James Dio dies aged 67

Singer passes away after losing his battle with stomach cancer

Black Sabbath and Dio singer Ronnie James Dio has died after losing his battle with stomach cancer.

The 67-year-old singer, who passed early this morning (May 16), was diagnosed last November and seemed to be making good progress earlier this year.

His wife and manager posted a statement on his official site ronniejamesdio.com which read: "Today my heart is broken, Ronnie passed away at 7:45am 16th May.

"Many, many friends and family were able to say their private good-byes before he peacefully passed away. Ronnie knew how much he was loved by all. We so appreciate the love and support that you have all given us.

"Please give us a few days of privacy to deal with this terrible loss. Please know he loved you all and his music will live on forever."

The singer, who replaced Ozzy Osbourne in Black Sabbath in 1979, fronted Heaven & Hell and Dio before his death.