What do you have under your hood(figuratively speaking)

Started by Recce, February 12, 2003, 04:40:23 PM

sphinx

Quote from: Sigur RósWould someone help me??

I have a pretty good pc and a videocamera using hi8-tapes (it's a new Sony). What cables and programmes do I need to edit my footage?........I really dont know anything about this :)

it sounds like you're using an analog camera, so you'll need an analog capture card.  they're never usually over one or two hundred bucks at the most, and you'll have to snoop around for some decent software to capture your video with

Xixax

If you use Windows 98, I have the board you need for sale on ebay at the moment. I'd take $100 (US) plus shipping if you're interested.
Quote from: Pas RapportI don't need a dick in my anus to know I absolutely don't want a dick in my anus.
[/size]

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: sphinxit sounds like you're using an analog camera, so you'll need an analog capture card

Just curious, how do they (people with money) capture film onto a computer & edit it with something like final cut pro? Or do "they" even do that?  :o

Xixax

Quote from: Jeremy Blackman
Quote from: sphinxit sounds like you're using an analog camera, so you'll need an analog capture card

Just curious, how do they (people with money) capture film onto a computer & edit it with something like final cut pro? Or do "they" even do that?  :o
Sure they do. It's called "telecine". The 24fps film is converted to 30fps video. You can also go the other direction to put video on film ("inverse telecine").

Tons of companies do this. Just do a Google search for those phrases.
Quote from: Pas RapportI don't need a dick in my anus to know I absolutely don't want a dick in my anus.
[/size]

Jeremy Blackman

So how many professional film editors still do linear editing? Is that kind of thing extinct? That would be nice.

Xixax

I recently saw an interview with Robert Altman who still cuts (er, has others cut) his movies the old fashioned way.
[/size]

MacGuffin

As far as I know, Spielberg/Michael Kahn still cut celluloid.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

RegularKarate

On the door to the Kem lab at my old film school, there was a quote by David Lynch about how he still cuts on flatbed because you get to touch the film.

Xixax

The credits for Hard Eight also say "cut on film". Of course, that was from 96.

I guess there are more holdovers than we realize.
[/size]

Sigur Rós

Thanx for the reply!

I'm use Microsoft XP Professional, but thanx anyway Xixax. Does anyone know a website where these capturecards can be bought?........I live in Denmark, Europe....so thats pretty fare from the USA! :-D

Sigur Rós

Quote from: sphinx
Quote from: Sigur RósWould someone help me??

I have a pretty good pc and a videocamera using hi8-tapes (it's a new Sony). What cables and programmes do I need to edit my footage?........I really dont know anything about this :)

it sounds like you're using an analog camera, so you'll need an analog capture card.  they're never usually over one or two hundred bucks at the most, and you'll have to snoop around for some decent software to capture your video with

Do you know the names of any good software? And when the footage is ripped what software would be good for editing?

.......sorry about all these questions :shock:

aclockworkjj

I am kinda spoiled......I have both.  My home is a PC but a have a G4 at work....needless to say, my next home investment will be a MAC....no doubt.

Also...I have heard of many people doing the conversion ("telecine") to PAL, 25 fps, as it makes for a cleaner transfer....or in fact, look at Full Frontal....it was done with a PAL XL1-S....to do the video to film transfer smoother....

EDIT-my 2 cents on the transfer

Ghostboy

I know Scorsese switched over to editing on a computer, and while I don't know about Lynch I know that he's talked about editing commercials on his Mac (he loves Macs! Yay!)

On the subject of telecines, when they need to get the film into the computer at super high resolution (for FX work and timing, etc.), I think they have a negative scanner that scans the negative directly into the computer in high definition.

And as for my pitiful system, which I bought for my first film three years ago...I still only have a simple 450mghz G4 with OS9.2 and Final Cut 2...the old fashioned kind before they came with superdrives and all. But that'll all change next month...I'm getting a new one.

Xixax

Quote from: GhostboyAnd as for my pitiful system, which I bought for my first film three years ago...I still only have a simple 450mghz G4 with OS9.2 and Final Cut 2...the old fashioned kind before they came with superdrives and all. But that'll all change next month...I'm getting a new one.
Funny thing about that, Ghostboy, is that I'd be willing to bet that your current Mac is still plugging along doing exactly what you bought it to do.

I am amazed when I go into print shops and the graphic designers are working on these ancient Power Mac desktop machines. Just plugging away with their Quark and Photoshop.

I used to be very anti-mac. That was until I started actually using one. I still prefer Windows, but if all PC's went away tomorrow and I had to go to macintosh exclusively, I wouldn't lose any sleep. They're really excellent tools.
[/size]