I Just Bought...

Started by ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ, October 25, 2003, 05:14:10 PM

godardian

Who, hooray for Criterion, MacG!!!

I just got Schizopolis and Le Cercle Rouge and am eagerly awaiting my Tokyo Story...

...have yet to pick up Hedwig, though it's definitely on my list.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

Find Your Magali

My "Tokyo Story" and "Looney Tunes -- The Golden Collection" arrived today. ... Talk about two different DVDs! ... I'm soooooooo torn over which one to watch tonight after work. I guess it will depend what kind of mood I'm in at 1 a.m.

SoNowThen

for some fucked up reason, there are some dvds I like so much, I find myself looking at them in the store and considering buying them, EVEN THOUGH I ALREADY HAVE THEM!!! This frequently happens with Walkabout, 8 1/2, and Gimme Shelter...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

I got This Is Spinal Tap and Muholland Drive on DVD...
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Find Your Magali

Quote from: SoNowThenfor some fucked up reason, there are some dvds I like so much, I find myself looking at them in the store and considering buying them, EVEN THOUGH I ALREADY HAVE THEM!!! This frequently happens with Walkabout, 8 1/2, and Gimme Shelter...

I am always intoxicated by the way the nicely wrapped Magnolia and Boogie Nights DVDs look on the shelves of the stores.  ... So I guess I understand your feeling.

NEON MERCURY

..macG..tigerland is the Sh*t
walrus..you own now a great piece of art...mulholland drive of course..

also..where other than best buy is a good place to buy criterions..not online though.....and somewhat reasonably priced..(i.e. no more than $40 on a two disk)...

Fernando

Just bought my first DVD player, and my first dvd was...

That's right friends, I liked it that much.

Quote from: MacGuffinThis week Mac got...

10 DVD's!  :shock:  :evil:  8)

Well I have one and probably will buy two or three in the weekend, so, how many dvd's I'm away from yours Mac? 997?

MacGuffin

Quote from: FernandoJust bought my first DVD player, and my first dvd was...

Please tell me you didn't get the Full-Screen version.

Quote from: Fernandoso, how many dvd's I'm away from yours Mac? 997?

Quote from: MacGuffin
Quote from: mogwaiWho/what makes you jealous? macguffin's dvd collection

And it keeps getting bigger every week. It may reach my post count soon.

My collection is actually closer to mogwai's post count right now.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

SoNowThen

Almost 2000 dvds? I'm doing some major coveting right now...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Fernando

Please tell me you didn't get the Full-Screen version.

I did  :oops: , it was the only one available here, there is no letterbox R4 and I just wanted it so bad. I promise this will never happen again. So...are we cool?  :wink:   Fortunately, my player can handle both R1 and R4.
Quote from: Fernandoso, how many dvd's I'm away from yours Mac? 997?

Quote from: mogwaiWho/what makes you jealous? macguffin's dvd collection

And it keeps getting bigger every week. It may reach my post count soon.

My collection is actually closer to mogwai's post count right now.

:shock: Wow, how much space do they take? You must have a warehouse or something.

SHAFTR

Picked up The Two Towers and Bowling for Columbine used for a total of $20.

Indiana Jones Box Set will be shipped to me soon.  I am currently looking for the cheapest place to get Rushmore: Criterion.
"Talking shit about a pretty sunset
Blanketing opinions that i'll probably regret soon"

Redlum

Finding Nemo
Confessions of a Dangerous Mind
and Flatliners.
\"I wanted to make a film for kids, something that would present them with a kind of elementary morality. Because nowadays nobody bothers to tell those kids, \'Hey, this is right and this is wrong\'.\"
  -  George Lucas

Kal

I just pre-ordered Finding Nemo and T3... and got American Psycho, Superman, Cocktail, LOTR The Fellowship of the Ring, and Seinfeld: I'm telling you for the last time...

I'm getting many DVDs every week almost... If I keep spending money on DVDs like this... I'm gonna have a real problem!

Weak2ndAct

Just bought Narc, waiting for 3 criterions to arrive: Schizopolis, Beauty and the Beast, and Rashamon.

Ernie

Barton Fink, Pee Wee's Big Adventure (for 7 dollars!), and Cape Fear...who says Circuit City sucks??? It's alright by me, they really cleaned themselves up.