Halloween Kills

Started by Alethia, October 15, 2021, 10:10:59 AM

Alethia

TONIGHT

Not a big fan of the 18er and I'm expecting to be disappointed yet excited to see it nonetheless.

So...given that DGG is ignoring the entire franchise except the OG Carpenter, his Halloween '18 is technically Halloween 2, and this is 3? Or do we acknowledge all that he is ignoring and call it Halloween 3 2, or maybe 2 3? (perhaps we should ask the Blank Check boys)

https://twitter.com/AADowd/status/1448739290675044363

:yabbse-huh: :hammer: :splat:

Reel

Yeah, I didn't like the 2018 one either and much prefer Rob Zombie's, but the world is a better place when we have Halloween's being released in October

Alethia

Gonna watch the Zombie 2 tonight. Don't like his remake of 1, but I hear from certain camps that his follow-up is in many ways preferable.

WorldForgot

Quote from: eward on October 15, 2021, 10:43:06 AM
Gonna watch the Zombie 2 tonight. Don't like his remake of 1, but I hear from certain camps that his follow-up is in many ways preferable.

Yayyy ^_^ Make sure to watch the Director's Cut.
That, Lords of Salem, and House of 1000 Corpses make such good comfort watches.

Alethia

Longtime fan of House of 1,000 Corpses and Devil's Rejects, so I'm feeling somewhat hopeful.

WorldForgot

The Devil's Rejects be like;
What if Empire Strikes Back featured Michael Berryman, Priscilla Barnes, Danny Trejo, Ken Foree, got barbecue'd in hellfire by the Chainsaw Massacre 2 Stan-ing Mason Family-ite swamp spawn of backland Texas in the midst of a Peckinpah slaughter spiral?

Alethia

Sounds like a fuckin stellar night o' cinema if ya ask me!!!!

Yes

I hated 2018 because of how disingenuous it is. Priding itself on being a "true" sequel yet falling into many of the same tropes of said sequels. It's completely devoid of suspense and minimalism of the classic. Just seemed to misinterpret why the original holds up.

And here they seemed to double down on making Michael Myers an invincible one man SWAT team which is what Rob Zombie did twice

But whatever, I'll watch it eventually and pretend it's a Friday the 13ty instead or something

WorldForgot

This movie iz such a mess. Especially tonally. There's one "beat" where they try to move from a supposedly emotionally affecting humorous anecdote (already failing to walk that tight-rope) to ECU of someone crying, all in the same take within one car, and you get the sense that no one was sure if this was the Fun One or the Serious One. And almost every scene feels that uncertain of itself.

WorldForgot

Quote from: wrongright on October 16, 2021, 01:50:24 PM
https://twitter.com/RichJuz/status/1449038776559448073

They're movies about

No, but, seriously like, I do think horror movies can have affective psychological dimensions and that they can speak to varied experiences of trauma or survival. They can also have social commentary - but the Tommy storyline here doesn't play on the same tonal register as the rest of the movie. There's like three Halloween movies jammed in here.

Alethia

Seeing it tomorrow. By the way, WF, I watched Zombie's H2 last night and quite liked it. Waaaaay better than its predecessor, imo.

polkablues

50% boilerplate slasher flick, 50% hamfisted fan service. 100% unmemorable.

I would LOVE if this movie was actually some sort of treatise on collective trauma, because at least then it would be about something other than "being a sequel."
My house, my rules, my coffee

wrongright

Despite all the Scream-isms bringing it down, I though H20 tackled the trauma angle much better.

Alethia

Honestly, Zombie's H2 tackles the trauma angle pretty dang effectively, I think - in ways that frequently surprised me.