God

Started by AlguienEstolamiPantalones, June 01, 2003, 04:30:22 AM

Mesh

Quote from: Phil Marlowe
shit man. tell me your jokin here. i'd like to tell you you're right, i really do, but then you have to adress this shit to yourself.

i think sant really has a point here and i never really thought of this myself. it really ads up.

Telling people to shut up over a message board continues to amuse me, and not just because it never, ever, ever, EVER fucking works.  I find it funny.  Anticipate me doing more of it.

Santa does have a great, great point, really.  Here it is:  God totally has something to do with Magnolia.

Whatever.  The film is as powerful assuming God exists as it is assuming God does not.  Period.

edit: as godardian more eloquently put it, Santa's other point is this:  "You're just saying Magnolia has nothing to do with God in order to be cool.  Secondarily, PTA made Magnolia pro-God because he knew how truly cool doing so would be."  What a bunch of, as I mentioned earlier, bullshit.

Mesh

Quote from: SoNowThenIt really sounds to me like you are just freaking out because the mention of "God" or "religion" in conjunction with this movie seems to be an insult to you somehow. He's not preaching that it's a divine message, he's describing a feeling he got watching it. So he posted, and now we discuss. This is a "discussion board" isn't it? Telling someone to shut up isn't exactly my idea of a discussion.

A.  Not freaking out.

B.  If I was, it wasn't because I freak out in the presence of discussions of "God" and "religion."  In point of fact, I'm damn good in those kinds of discussions.

C.  I'm not in the least insulted by anything in this thread.  Not one iota.  Not one bit.  Never accuse me of that again.

D.  By "Shut up" I mean "Stop trying to say we're not getting what you're saying.  We get what you're saying.  We get that what you're saying is wrong."

aclockworkjj

Quote from: cecil b. dementedoh, what a surprise. a holy war.

this is in no way supporting Mr. Smith....just funny.

Mesh

Quote from: SantaClauseWasA BlackMan
and in such way, he didnt hit us over the head with some phoney bullshit preachy mesage , we dont even know what his view on god is but the film leads us to to think whatever it is , im sure its interesting

Another example of how confused SCWABM is.  Is PTA's film pro-God or does it makes us think "Wow, PTA must really have some interesting perspectives on God..."?

Answer: neither, really.

Magnolia is neither pro-God nor does it shed much light on PTA's belief or disbelief in said God.

Mesh

i started this whole thing saying how cool it is for a modern film maker to do something that is so outside the box

You must simply adore Tom Shadyac, then.  His latest masterpiece even has the character God in it!

:!:

children with angels

I wouldn't say the movie sheds no light on PTA's philosophy, or God - I think it's a valid discussion point, I just don't think there's necessarily a correct answer...

Which brings me back to my rather lame point that it's something of an agnostic movie. I know, I know: what a cop-out... :wink:

I agree with you on the confusion of Santa though. I think you have interesting points sometimes Santa, it's just the hostile, intolerant way in which you express them (and you do come across often as both of these things)... If you talk about anyone who disagrees with you only doing so to look cool again, I may scream... That is such a cynical way to look at the world: and - in this situation - is also completely untrue. Why must everything boil down to image with you? Being cool, or uncool, or a cliche? Not everything is to do with that. I would, in fact, go so far as to say that very little is finally to do with that. You have to listen to what others say rather than dismiss them as just being posers if they happen to have a different point of view.
"Should I bring my own chains?"
"We always do..."

http://www.alternatetakes.co.uk/
http://thelesserfeat.blogspot.com/

aclockworkjj

has free masonary, in regards to Magnolia, been mentioned yet?...sorry, I don't feel like reading all 7 pages....

SoNowThen

Not yet. But it's a fun point. We should bring that into it.

This all reminds me of Major League: "Ah, Jesus.... I like him very much, but he no help with curve ball" -- "You trying to say Jesus Christ can't hit a curve ball?" -- "Aw, let's not start a holy war, Harris"

Hehehe.

Mesh, I guess what the point I wanted to make is that by continually saying Santa is "wrong" and "bullshit", you're kinda doing the same black and white stuff you guys accuse him of. I really could care less if people wanna see God in Magnolia, I find things contained in the movie, and they work wonderfully for me, and I'll leave it at that.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

chainsmoking insomniac

Ladies and Germs, the fact of the matter is is that we're all going to take away from this film whatever we want to.  I honestly haven't decided what to make of the frog sequence; it could technically go either way.  And besides, who knows what PTA intended us to believe (if he intended us to believe in anything)?  It could just be his hella good sense of humor fucking with us when he slipped the Exodus 8:2 signs in throughout the movie.  But whatever his intention, the ending was completely unexpected and very effective, and I doubt that could be argued.  :-D
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"
 --Paul Schneider, All the Real Girls

SoNowThen

Yep, yep, true true. And just for the record, it isn't the 8:2 that makes me think the way I do. That was just gravy he threw in there for fun, even he said that.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

chainsmoking insomniac

I was just noting the Biblical reference, dude.  8)
"Ernest Hemingway once wrote: 'The world's a fine place, and worth fighting for.'  I agree with the second part."
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en

"Have you ever fucking seen that...? Ever seen a mistake in nature?  Have you ever seen an animal make a mistake?"

aclockworkjj

Okay....but Seduce and Destory ....that should be a religon all in itself....

.....think about it.

AlguienEstolamiPantalones

first of all mesh you have brought nothing to this group you could drop dead right now and now one would notice

so that much is a given

and two your a fucking fag

AlguienEstolamiPantalones

Quote from: Mesh
and in such way, he didnt hit us over the head with some phoney bullshit preachy mesage , we dont even know what his view on god is but the film leads us to to think whatever it is , im sure its interesting

Another example of how confused SCWABM is.  Is PTA's film pro-God or does it makes us think "Wow, PTA must really have some interesting perspectives on God..."?

Answer: neither, really.

Magnolia is neither pro-God nor does it shed much light on PTA's belief or disbelief in said God.

your saying this because that film is deeper then anything you could understand

also the reason why you cant handle my posts, by the way who has stood up for you ?????  if all you have is godradian then again i suggest you kill yourself

or write another deep post about how goodfellas is like PDL because nillison sang a song on goodfellas and wrote a song for pdl

the group is waiting for your great posts

chainsmoking insomniac

Hey folks, what's with all this hostility??? SantaClause, relax.  I thought ganja relaxes man....you're talking like you popped a couple of methanphetameanies........ 8)
    --Morgan Freeman, Se7en