Question about "Royal Tenenbaums"-Criterion

Started by Spike, September 30, 2003, 08:26:12 AM

Spike

Here in Germany there's just a total crappy DVD-edition of "The Royal Tenenbaums", so I want to buy now the Criterion Collection.
Here's my question:
Is it hard to understand the English of the supplemental material?
I mean, is Wes talking on the commentary with some slang or does he talk in a very clear English? What about the 2nd disc? Is it hard to understand what they talked?
For me supplemental material is very important and I'm a big fan of Wes Anderson, so I want to understand everything what he says.
Please help!
"We're gonna celebrate St. Suck-My-Big-Fat-Fucking-Sausage'a!!!"

meatwad

wes has pretty clear english, i don't believe he uses lots of slang. I'm not sure about the supplemental material. I don't know how much english you know, so it is hard to determine if you will understand it or not

Sleuth

And even if it might be too difficult, you'll only end up more knowledgable because of it
I like to hug dogs

Gamblour.

I have a new question about the Royal Tenenbaums Criterion:

Is the two disc set up inside the case supposed to have both discs facing each other? Like, the disc that's on the hinge, normally it would face the insert booklets, but instead it hinges the other way...does this make sense? Is this how the dvd is supposed to be? I find myself nearly snapping off the hinged dvd to get the inserts out.
WWPTAD?

go mordecai.

about the english,    curiously , i found wes andersons' commentary track to be one of the most  clear and perfect i've heard on the format, you should have no problem understaning it.
context, context, context.

MacGuffin

Quote from: Gamblor du JourIs the two disc set up inside the case supposed to have both discs facing each other? Like, the disc that's on the hinge, normally it would face the insert booklets, but instead it hinges the other way...does this make sense? Is this how the dvd is supposed to be? I find myself nearly snapping off the hinged dvd to get the inserts out.

I think I know what your talking about. It kinda looks like this, with the hinge in the middle though:

The "Monsters Inc." DVD is like that, and that is normal for that case. But does your "Tenenbaums" come in a thin, single-sized DVD case like that? Mine came in a dual keepcase like this one:

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

cine

Quote from: MacGuffinMine came in a dual keepcase like this one:
I just got this too and yes, it came in the same case.

Thecowgoooesmooo

QuoteIs it hard to understand the English of the supplemental material?

Well, if your fluent in "nerd" you should have absolutely no problem understanding Wes Anderson's speech.

chris

Gamblour.

Quote from: MacGuffin
Quote from: Gamblor du JourIs the two disc set up inside the case supposed to have both discs facing each other? Like, the disc that's on the hinge, normally it would face the insert booklets, but instead it hinges the other way...does this make sense? Is this how the dvd is supposed to be? I find myself nearly snapping off the hinged dvd to get the inserts out.

I think I know what your talking about. It kinda looks like this, with the hinge in the middle though:

The "Monsters Inc." DVD is like that, and that is normal for that case. But does your "Tenenbaums" come in a thin, single-sized DVD case like that? Mine came in a dual keepcase like this one:

This is strange. It's not a thin, single-sized dvd, it's the same thickness as Straw Dogs (which does have the same case as the alpha triple white case you showed). This is what my Royal Tenenbaums case looks like:

Edit: I'm a moron. Imagine that the disc in the image above that the first disc is facing the second disc. The back of the discs hinge rests on the door with the inserts. In addition, the dvd case is not a single case, but a double sized case. Sorry if I'm explaining this poorly.
WWPTAD?

MacGuffin

Quote from: Gamblor du JourThis is strange. It's not a thin, single-sized dvd, it's the same thickness as Straw Dogs (which does have the same case as the alpha triple white case you showed). This is what my Royal Tenenbaums case looks like:

Edit: I'm a moron. Imagine that the disc in the image above that the first disc is facing the second disc. The back of the discs hinge rests on the door with the inserts. In addition, the dvd case is not a single case, but a double sized case. Sorry if I'm explaining this poorly.

:yabbse-huh:  :yabbse-huh:  :yabbse-huh:  :yabbse-huh:  :yabbse-huh:

So it is like this, but in a dual keepcase:

And this came new? I dunno if they switched cases or what, but it should come exactly like the "Straw Dogs" case.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

cine

Gamblour.

Quote from: MacGuffin
And this came new? I dunno if they switched cases or what, but it should come exactly like the "Straw Dogs" case.

Looks like I'll need to take a picture of it for you. It's pretty peculiar.\

Cinephile, these are my first experiences with Criterion 2-discs.  :-D
WWPTAD?

Ravi

The retail version is in the regular thicker 2-disc case Criterion uses and the rental version came in a slimmer case, either with a little flap or disc holders on both sides of the case.  Perhaps those of you who got the slim version have ex-rental copies.

pete

there isn't much slang in the supplements.  The supplement features an hour-long documentary by albert maysles on wes anderson, and most of it is Wes shooting the scenes of the royal tenenbaums.  There are also eight interviews I think, they speak pretty clear English, pretty slow too I think.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Gamblour.

Quote from: RaviThe retail version is in the regular thicker 2-disc case Criterion uses and the rental version came in a slimmer case, either with a little flap or disc holders on both sides of the case.  Perhaps those of you who got the slim version have ex-rental copies.

But mine has the outer pink book-type sleeve with the whole cast on it. It's equally as thick as the two disc cases. It wasn't pre-viewed, it's in top-notch condition. Could they have changed their case?
WWPTAD?