Vector Scope

Started by aclockworkjj, May 28, 2003, 12:08:18 AM

aclockworkjj

I know the basics of this little tool...as in a tool to maintain broadcast quality....but can anyone give me a good lamen summary of how and where you would effectively use this?  Or know of any decent help sites? specificly in FCP or Vegas....thanks

Ghostboy

You use a vectorscope to make sure your colors aren't oversaturated, as per the NTSC color bars. But it's really only useful for broadcast analog video, e.g. BetaSP., or making analog copies. If the signals are too high or too low, certain colors might not show up right. But there's really no reason why you'll need to use it, unless you want to to make sure your blacks and whites are at the right levels. (blacks are generally fine, but if I'm doing titles or sticking a white slug somewhere, I'll lower the opacity just slightly to be safe). Digital video pretty much takes care of itself; vectorscopes are sort of a relic of the analog age.

aclockworkjj

Quote from: GhostboyYou use a vectorscope to make sure your colors aren't oversaturated, as per the NTSC color bars. But it's really only useful for broadcast analog video, e.g. BetaSP., or making analog copies. If the signals are too high or too low, certain colors might not show up right. But there's really no reason why you'll need to use it, unless you want to to make sure your blacks and whites are at the right levels. (blacks are generally fine, but if I'm doing titles or sticking a white slug somewhere, I'll lower the opacity just slightly to be safe). Digital video pretty much takes care of itself; vectorscopes are sort of a relic of the analog age.

That's kinda what I was thinking...I understand the idea when it comes to, say Beta SP....but I can't really think of why I would need it with DV...I just know someone who keeps bringing up a vector scope, and didn't wanna sound like an ass questioning him.....so, rather I thought here was as good a place as any to be an ass....

jasper_window

Be careful with whites though.  Most if not all dv cameras record white at about 110 IRE.

aclockworkjj

what should my whites....and blacks for that matter ........be at?

jasper_window

Whites should be at a 100 or slightly lower, to be on the safe side.  Blacks should be at 7.5.  As far as I know blacks on the dv cameras are fine, the whites are just blown out.  You'll see a "zebra pattern" in your viewfinder or LCD, which tells you which whites are over a 100.

aclockworkjj

Quote from: jasper_windowWhites should be at a 100 or slightly lower, to be on the safe side.  Blacks should be at 7.5.  As far as I know blacks on the dv cameras are fine, the whites are just blown out.  You'll see a "zebra pattern" in your viewfinder or LCD, which tells you which whites are over a 100.

Yeah...I use the zebra pattern a lot...good little tool.

jasper_window

Indeed.  Especially for those of us who can't afford to have a vector on set.