Favourite silent movie

Started by cine, August 03, 2003, 12:03:16 PM

MacGuffin

Lloyd's 'Safety Last!' Gets Update

The image of actor Harold Lloyd hanging off a clock in the 1923 silent movie "Safety Last!" is getting a contemporary makeover.

Columbia Pictures has picked up a pitch for a romantic comedy that will be loosely based on the Lloyd classic. The action centers on a store clerk who organizes a contest to climb the outside of a tall building but is forced to make the perilous climb himself. It will be written by Keith Bunin.

The new version, dubbed "Safety Last," is also expected to feature elaborate, choreographed physical comedy that was the trademark of the silent pictures.

Columbia's Sony Pictures parent acquired domestic theatrical rights this year to Lloyd's films through the Harold Lloyd Trust and will release the restored films next year. Suzanne Lloyd, granddaughter of the silent-film legend, will serve as an executive producer of the new film.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Ravi

Quote from: The Gold Trumpet2.) Interesting you find the score to Sherlock Jr. odd when its the score to be the main influence for the classic theme music to all the James Bond movies. Not the score, overall, but when Keaton is on the run and his car goes into the water and floats, thats it.

Was the score you heard written when Sherlock, Jr. was released or was it a contemporary score?

BTW, I so want this:

Alethia

im gonna work some overtime to save up and buy that and the kino keaton box set.

The Obstruction

After having seen a couple of silent movies, i must agree with most of the people who has written in this topic, The Genral is one outstanding silent movie, but an other choise could be as suggested Joan Of Arc and maybe even Vampyr.
"I don't like the word ironic. I like the word absurdity, and I don't really understand the word 'irony' too much. The irony comes when you try to verbalize the absurd. When irony happens without words, it's much more exalted." David Lynch

Fjodor

I've seen Chaplin's The Gold Rush for the first time, yesterday. While it was the narrated version, I really enjoyed it. Some great scenes (chicken, 'dance' part, the building heeling over the edge) made this film into a small masterpiece for its time (1925).

Ravi

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/film/4134305.stm

Uncensored premiere for Potemkin

A newly reconstructed version of the 1925 Soviet film Battleship Potemkin will premiere at Berlin Film Festival.

The film, by Sergei Eisenstein, dramatised a mutiny on the Russian ship showing how it inspired a failed 1905 uprising against the country's czars.

It now includes Russian graphics and words from revolutionary Leon Trotsky, which were censored in the 1920s.

The festival, which is showing the film next year, said no complete print of the original movie survived.

It will be shown at the festival on 12 and 13 February and will be accompanied by live music from the German Film Orchestra Babelsberg.

One of its best-known scenes is the Odessa steps sequence, in which a child in a pram rolls down a staircase as fighting rages around it.

But the film, which was shot for the 20th anniversary of the failed uprising, was victim of "one of the most spectacular cases of censorship in the 1920s" after being cut by the Soviets, a festival statement said.

As well as the inclusion of the graphics and Trotsky's words, changes and cuts carried out on the famous staircase sequence as a result of the film's censorship have been corrected.

The reconstruction has been supported by the British Film Institute and Germany's federal film archive.

Edmund Meisel's original musical score has been revised for the screening.

The 55th Berlin Film Festival will run from 10 to 20 February 2005.

Stefen

My fave is definetely spice world.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

planet_jake

It's a tossup between Greed and Napoleon... Or even The Big Parade