Garden State

Started by Ghostboy, March 19, 2004, 07:33:01 PM

MacGuffin

Quote from: ©bradi really don't understand you.

I'll break it down for you:

Quote from: Walrus, KookookajoobLet it die, firestarter.

Quote from: peteonly you can prevent forest fires.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pubrick

under the paving stones.

Pozer

so, uh...I'm glad we saw this over Vanity Fair.

also, that Zack dude looks like Jack Tripper.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote from: Hedwig

That "retard" picture is so...Lindsay Lohan.

OMG...retards r so h0tt!!1
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

hedwig

Quote from: Walrus, Kookookajoob
Quote from: Hedwig

That "retard" picture is so...Chelsea Clinton.

OMG...retards r so h0tt!!1

Hehe. Interesting.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

I know it's early, but I'm curious when this is dropping onto DVD.

I'd pick it up, but I'm sure I'll have ot wait forever for it.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

SiliasRuby

Quote from: Walrus, KookookajoobI know it's early, but I'm curious when this is dropping onto DVD.

I'd pick it up, but I'm sure I'll have ot wait forever for it.
Here you go walrus...

Purchase Using:Title: Garden State
Starring: Natalie Portman
Released: 28th December 2004
SRP: $29.98
Further Details
Fox Home Entertainment has officially announced Garden State which stars Zach Braff, Natalie Portman, Peter Sarsgaard and Ian Holm. The comedy (which is also directed by Zach Braff) will be available to own from the 28th December this year. Retail will be set at around $29.98. As well as a lovely anamorphic widescreen transfer and English Dolby Digital 5.1 track, the disc will include an audio commentary with Writer/Director/Actor Zach Braff and Actor Natalie Portman, a second commentary with Zach Braff along with Director of Photography Lawrence Sher, Editor Myron Kerstein and Production Designer Judy Becker and sixteen deleted scenes with optional director commentary. Completing the package will be a Making of Garden State featurettes, outtakes and a soundtrack promo spot. We'll bring you the artwork shortly.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

tpfkabi

16 deleted scenes??????

goodness.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Gold Trumpet

I liked the writing better than the movie. The problem for me was that it was always blatently obvious what picture the movie was painting. The film never delved into the story to provoke character mystery the way a Punch-Drunk Love did. I love the dialogue, many of the scenes, but yet for the movie I felt it was trying to be, an honest film of emotion, I never thought it got there they way it could be. The dialogue felt richer than the composition of character and for a serious attempt, that doesn't mean much to me. Too much of an introductory-to-film-school film.

mattress man

I was waiting for Meg Ryan to pop out at the ending.

Recce

Quote from: mattress manI was waiting for Meg Ryan to pop out at the ending.

Yeah, the ending was a bit iffy, but that's why I liked it so much, I think. We've all gone through that phase were we'd make films or videos with 'What the fuck?' endings (at least I hope so). I find the film has more of an appeal to me personally BECAUSE it has a film school after taste. You don't get that too often, so its ok.

Plus Natalie Portman is hot.
"The idea had been growing in my brain for some time: TRUE force. All the king's men
                        cannot put it back together again." (Travis Bickle, "Taxi Driver")

tpfkabi

Ghostboy,
i've being looking at your reviews on your website.
in the Garden State review you mention this - "the camera crossing the 180 degree line" as a problem.
could you explain to me what this means please?

RegularKarate

The line of continuity.  There are a million websites that explain it.

basically:

\/ (person)
       |
       |  <- line (don't cut to something across it unless...)
       |
       |
      /\ (person)

(yes, I'm quite aware this doesn't help)

MacGuffin

Quote from: RegularKarate(yes, I'm quite aware this doesn't help)

But this does:

http://www.mavart.com/1997-05-12-crossing-the-line
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

tpfkabi

thanks.
i didn't know there was a rule per se, but there have been times when watching a movie where i've been disoriented in this way. it's been too long since i've seen Garden State to remember the particular scenes.
i know of a commercial that has given me this feeling lately:
the new Britney Spears Curious perfume one.
throughtout the commercial i believe Britney is on the left and the guy on the right. in the final shot this is switched and i thought it kind of odd. now i know why.