Anima

Started by Drenk, June 20, 2019, 09:19:50 AM

Drenk

A one reeler for the new Thom Yorke album, directed by Paul Thomas Anderson. Available 27th June on Netflix.

Ascension.

wilberfan

In select IMAX theaters on June 26. 

From Indiewire:

QuotePaul Thomas Anderson has a surprise new project heading to Netflix and select IMAX theaters later this month: "ANIMA," a musical short film starring Thom Yorke. The "one-reeler" is being billed by the streaming giant as a "mind-bending visual piece. Best played loud." The film will feature three tracks from Yorke's upcoming album of the same name.

In the "ANIMA" teaser clip below, Yorke defines a one-reeler as "a motion picture, especially a cartoon or comedy, of 10-12 minutes duration and contained on one reel of film; popular especially in the era of silent films."

For Anderson, "ANIMA" marks his first directorial release since "Phantom Thread," his acclaimed Daniel Day Lewis-starring drama that picked up Oscar nominations for Best Picture, Best Director, and Best Actor, among others. The film won the Academy Award for Best Costume Design. Anderson has yet to announce a follow-up feature to "Phantom Thread," which makes "ANIMA" more of an event for cinephiles.

Netflix has been investing more frequently in auteur filmmakers and just released Martin Scorsese's music documentary "Rolling Thunder Revue: A Bob Dylan Story" to critical acclaim. Scorsese's gangster movie "The Irishman," starring Robert De Niro and Al Pacino," is also backed by Netflix and gearing up for a release sometime in the fall. "ANIMA" marks Anderson's first Netflix original.

Excitingly, "ANIMA" also marks the first collaboration between Anderson and cinematographer Darius Khondji, whose latest work is Nicolas Winding Refn's Amazon series "Too Old to Die Young." Khondji has earned acclaim for shooting James Gray films such as "The Lost City of Z" and "The Immigrant."

"ANIMA" will debut on Netflix globally starting June 27. The streaming giant will screen the project in select IMAX theaters on Wednesday, June 26. Watch the teaser announcement for "ANIMA" below.

Drenk

Ascension.

csage97

Very cool! Can't wait.

Tdog

Looking forward to this. Cool to see PTA working with another new DOP and Netflix!

SaunchSmilax

Anybody find a link for City Walk to reserve tickets? Not showing up on their website.
"All I ever wanted was a cool '78 'Vette and a house in the country."

Ravi

Quote from: strandedwriter on June 20, 2019, 12:32:06 PM
Anybody find a link for City Walk to reserve tickets? Not showing up on their website.

You have to get passes through this Gofobo link:

https://gofobo.com/index.php/main/movie_landing/QW5pbWFMQQ%3D%3D

WorldForgot

Quote from: Tdog on June 20, 2019, 12:18:42 PM
Cool to see PTA working with another new DOP and Netflix!

Darius iz getting such good work ~  Joon-ho Bong, the Safdies, Refn, Anderson, James Gray, all in the last two years !

SaunchSmilax

"All I ever wanted was a cool '78 'Vette and a house in the country."

Alethia

Got my pass! Anyone else in NYC going?

csage97

Quote from: WorldForgot on June 20, 2019, 01:53:08 PM
Quote from: Tdog on June 20, 2019, 12:18:42 PM
Cool to see PTA working with another new DOP and Netflix!

Darius iz getting such good work ~  Joon-ho Bong, the Safdies, Refn, Anderson, James Gray, all in the last two years !

Yes! This is an awesome collaboration. I love Darius' stuff, from Midnight in Paris, to Seven, Amour, Okja, and so on.

Drenk

Ascension.

kingfan011

The fact that he is working with a new DP is the most interesting thing. Curious what it looks like and if this means that whenever he make another one he will continue to DP or try a new DP.

wilberfan

Signed up for Universal City Walk, here in L.A.  Thanks for the tips/links.   

(Guess I'll have to wear my Eiffel Tower again, huh?)   :yabbse-grin:

WorldForgot

Quote from: wilberfan on June 20, 2019, 07:26:37 PM
Signed up for Universal City Walk, here in L.A.  Thanks for the tips/links.   

(Guess I'll have to wear my Eiffel Tower again, huh?)   :yabbse-grin:

Needz to become official merch!  :yabbse-grin: