Just got Canon XL1S w/ the manual lens...

Started by SoNowThen, May 07, 2003, 11:18:55 AM

Ghostboy

1/60 is the best all around.

1/30 looks really cool, though, depending on what you want to do, but on the XL=1s it's not actually a real shutter speed .... it's a digital simulation of one.

SoNowThen

Right, I forgot about that.

So why would I adjust the shutter to, say, 1/800 or more? What would that achieve?
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

jasper_window

nothing that you couldn't achieve in post.  In my experience, in-camera effects for digital cameras are probably better left untouched.  But that's just my opinion, experiementing the with camera may be your best bet.

SoNowThen

So... I've been doing some tests, and realizing just how bad I am with the camera. I wanna shoot in mostly natural or practical light (for the most part because I have no other lights), and I know there must be a better technique for this, 'cause my stuff looks horrible. Can anybody recommend any good video books that might help? Or some fresh approaches to this -- I realize you need lots of light to make video look good, but there just has to be a way to shoot DARK scenes... I mean, they look terrible!!
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

jasper_window

Sadly filters and lights, i.e. things that cause money.  Sorry I don't know of any books.  I never seem to find good solid info on such matters.  Try using practical lights, with low wattage bulbs.  It sucks because what you see in your head for a scene and what you actually shoot are never the same and it can be a real bummer.

SoNowThen

Well, filters are a place to start. I have a polarizer, a uv, and a couple nd's. Besides pro-mist filters, are there any others that I should get?

Does anybody know how much Kino lights cost? We used them on another video shoot I was on, and they worked great.

jasper_window

From what I've heard, those filters are the ones to use for video.

Don't know the cost on renting kinos, shouldn't be too bad.  Check out www.kinoflo.com

SoNowThen

sphinx

don't use light gain if you want better blacks.  anything above +12db on the xl1s looks like shiiiit

i wasn't able to get the manual lens on mine, which i dearly wanted, and the zoom drone gets a bit annoying in quiet scenes.  the electronic motor delay isn't as bad as you'd think, though

cowboykurtis

i think the XL1 is the worst mini dv camera -- picture quality is poor -- way too "sharp" and oversaturated -- the design of the camera is exteremly awkward to operate -- it's built like garbage -- its not very "sturdy"., on and on and on.... ill take the pd-150 any day of the week.
...your excuses are your own...

SoNowThen

Oh thanks, that's great advice. I guess I'll junk my whole camera package I just bought. Whooo, it's a good thing I talked to you.

Right. I'm gonna listen to the guy that defends Minority Report.

Ghostboy

I used to sing the praises of promist filters, but I don't anymore. I think they make the image too muddy. If you're going to use one, I'd suggest not going any higher than 1/4 filtration. And also, they give an effect that's actually pretty easy to approximate in post production. But you should try them out, see what you think.

At the place I rent equipment from, kino flos go for $40 or, for the double bank, $60 (p/day). That includes the c-stand and extra bulbs, so you can alternate between tungsten and daylight balanced bulbs.

SoNowThen

Hmm, $40 a day is good I suppose, but not for my no-budget stuff. I need to buy some lights, then I'll have them all the time. It costs more up front, but then I won't have to worry about having them back at a certain time.

Ghostboy, in your opinion, what are some of the best-results lights to use with this camera?

ReelHotGames

One thing to remember about lighting for video is that less is more, unlike film lighting packages where you have to overlight and meter - video lighting tends to make things look flat on screen, you have to differentiate between your subject and your setting, and don't use white lights without gels unless you want hot spots on the image.

But a great cheap way to light is to go to home depot and fo rforty bucks you get lights stands with two lamps, and you can gel it, as these are overtly bright lights, go to a wrapping paper store or whatever and get colored cellophane wrapping, its cheap and you can use it to diffuse, alternate a cool and a warm color to create a nice neutral on camera.

Also get a white piece of foam core board to bounce the light, this cuts out hot spots and allows for more natural lighting. This is when you aren't using a rooms natural lighting as it is.

There's a book called the "5 C's of Cineamatography" or something of the like, it is made for film, but can be adapted well for video, you just have to do tests to get the best look.

And if your running editing on a Mac then download Lucas freeware for after image adjustment it works wonders.
"Body Count Cinema the Customizable Card Game"
A cinematic CCG coming to a coffee table near you!
www.reelhotgames.com/BodyCountCinema_Home.htm

Ghostboy

Yeah, Michael beat me to my answer. I bought my first light kit at Home Depot...a couple of 500w work lights, and handful of clip lights. Spent about fifty bucks. That was four years ago, and I still use them!  Even on projects where I've had a full lighting kit, they've come in handy. You can also make your own barn doors out of tin foil, and make sure you have plenty of gel. The great thing about DV is that you can adjust the color temperature and everything so easily.