a 6-8 minute short in a trailer format

Started by Tiff, April 25, 2003, 09:57:09 PM

Tiff

I was going to do a short film in a movie trailer-like format, and I just wanted to get your opinion on this concept. Thanks. Oh, and it goes for 6-8 minutes.
"Shut the fuck up!"

Cecil

i think its a great concept. me and my friends have done the "fake" trailer routine a few times, its great and you can basically do whatever you want cause youre making a trailer to a film that doesnt exist so.... the events dont have to make sense since no one will actually see the movie the trailer is "advertising" so no one can tell if those events would make sense or not in the "real" movie.

but i think 6-8 minutes is a bit long. maybe you should do something like a "promotional feraturette" with scenes from the "movie" as well as some interviews from the "cast"

Tiff

what i meant, cecil, was i'd try to tell a whole story in a trailer format. i'm not actually going to try to pass it off like i'm making a trailer for a movie, but rather trying to tell the story that generates the same amount of excitement that a trailer gives you when you see it. i want to do this because i've noticed how interesting a trailer makes a concept look, especially because it's directly communicating with the audience (using a voice over, overuse of title cards (which i think is a good thing), and only showing the short interesting parts of a scene) and the audience would love it if the attention is focused on them for a change.

Six to eight minutes might seem a bit long for a trailer, so i was going to only have it go for about four minutes. I'll start the short with an advertisement (it supports my story and introduces the audience to the situation properly) that each character is watching, and end it with a one minute fast-paced montage that resolves the story and reveals the surprise ending...Well that's the idea so far, but I'm always changing it and can't stick to one idea.  :cry:
"Shut the fuck up!"

Cecil

oh, im sorry. carry on then.

good plan. i hope youll post it here afterwards, id love to see it

Tiff

cecil, that's a pretty fun idea with the promotional featurette thing. good preparation, yeah?
"Shut the fuck up!"

Cecil

i just like it cause you can do whatever you want without a real narrative so my teachers never accused me of being lazy, which is pretty much what i was i guess. you dont have to write a good story and find a good ending, just through in a bunch of good situations.

i suggest the fake trailer and featurette stuff especially for student films. im sure well all be less embarrased to see those in 10-15 years from now

Xixax

The only possible negative of this that I can think of is that if the trailer and featurette turns out really well, then I'll be thirsting to see the whole thing which will never actually exist!
Quote from: Pas RapportI don't need a dick in my anus to know I absolutely don't want a dick in my anus.
[/size]

Tiff

xixax, again, it's not advertising an actual film. it's telling the story in a trailer, so you get what could be two hours of a boring film in 6 minutes of a trailer. all the interesting stuff happens in the trailer...So it's not really a trailer. i shouldn't have called it that. sorry. do you support the idea?
"Shut the fuck up!"

AlguienEstolamiPantalones

Quote from: XixaxThe only possible negative of this that I can think of is that if the trailer and featurette turns out really well, then I'll be thirsting to see the whole thing which will never actually exist!

that reminds me of that beavis and butthead where they were watching sabatoge by the beastie boys and they were pissed that they always catch the credits and never see the show

Xixax

For me, it brought back memories of the Volkswagon Bubble Boy ad. I remember wanting to see that movie so damn bad, and then what a letdown - it was just a commercial.
Quote from: Pas RapportI don't need a dick in my anus to know I absolutely don't want a dick in my anus.
[/size]

Tiff

i was kinda waitin' for mr burger king's attempt to parallelise sample foods at wendy's with movie trailers or somethin...*hint* *hint*
"Shut the fuck up!"