films i should copy/'research'

Started by Tiff, April 10, 2003, 10:34:49 PM

Tiff

i'm writing a script for a short about society's obsession with religion and its (society's) willingness and need to store its faith in something (pretty much anything). it's meant to draw the line between religion and god. it's going to be a rather abstract approach to a short, so does anyone have any ideas of films to 'research' that explore similar ideas about religion, god and faith that have a negative connotation to them...?

(oh, and the reason my idea sounds so stupid is because it's for school, so don't attack me...please... :-D )
"Shut the fuck up!"

Ghostboy

The first thing that popped into my head reading your post was 'The Rapture.' I'll try to think of some others...

OmegaSlacker

I'm expecting to get panned for suggesting this cuz it seems either people love or hate him, but giving Kevin Smith's Dogma a look probably wouldn't hurt. It's got some interesting takes on catholicism.
When I was just a baby, my momma told me, "Son, always be a good boy, don't ever play with guns." But I shot a man in Reno, just to watch him die.

MacGuffin

Don't know if they fill exactly what you need, but I recommend them anyway:

Song Of Bernadette
Lillies Of The Field
The Passion Of Joan Of Arc
The Apostle
Elizabeth
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Pedro

My short film(script)! :P ....I posted it here somewhere...but I have better drafts now....I think ill edit it or something..

But seriously though...not a stupid idea, in my opinion.  I'd love to see what you come up with.  There are some really creative writers here in this forum.

polkablues

What's the one with Ed Harris?  "The Third Miracle", I think.  Also, "Priest" might be a good one to look at.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Jeremy Blackman

Breaking the Waves
any movie about the Salem witch hunt