Spider

Started by bonanzataz, February 25, 2003, 07:28:25 PM

budgie

Just getting head is ambitious enough for me.

bonanzataz

The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

children with angels

Maybe this thread is well and truly dead, but I just got back from seeing this wonderful film - finally - and wanted to just say that I thought it was exceptional. It gave me a really strange emotion whilst watching it that I don't think I've got from any other film. Reminded me a great deal of the plays of Beckett, which aslo give me this strange indefinable emotion. I've been put in a weird emotional state by this movie which I don't think will leave me for a while - and that is surely a sign that it has succeeded...
Raph Fiennes: never been better.
Cronnenberg: my favourite film of his now without a doubt. He really has shown another side of himself to me with this one: I always saw him as a visionary, interesting, fun - but VERY unsubtle - auteur. With Spider he has shown a restraint which I hope will become a trademark of his work to come... My problem with previous films was that the dark mood he was creating would often spoiled by something I would just think was... well: kinda silly. Nothing like that here. Total fucking unrelenting pessimism in content and ambience, uninterrupted by outbursts of over-the-top effects or some such thing.

This is a great movie.
"Should I bring my own chains?"
"We always do..."

http://www.alternatetakes.co.uk/
http://thelesserfeat.blogspot.com/

RegularKarate

I FINALLY just saw this film.... my god, it took me a while... it had come here for about a week or two a few months back and when I didn't get a chance to see it, I figured I'd have to wait until the dvd.

I liked it... it was good... I guess I'm just not as enthusiastic as you all about it though.  

Dunno... maybe I'm missing something here.  It seemed like it was trying to slowly reveal what was kind of obvious the whole time... maybe it's just me...

though now that I've sat here thinking about it, I just realized something about it that I hadn't while watching the film... interesting.

I should definately see it again.

Cecil

Quote from: RegularKaratethough now that I've sat here thinking about it, I just realized something about it that I hadn't while watching the film... interesting.

and whats that?

Cecil

dvd will be released july 29th, with audio commentary by cronenberg, and three featurettes:  Caught in Spider's Web: The Cast, In The Beginning: How Spider Came To Be, and Weaving The Web: The Making of Spider.

godardian

Quote from: cecil b. dementeddvd will be released july 29th, with audio commentary by cronenberg, and three featurettes:  Caught in Spider's Web: The Cast, In The Beginning: How Spider Came To Be, and Weaving The Web: The Making of Spider.

Thank goodness.  I completely missed this upon its release, and I really wanted to see it. I like Cronenberg off and on. Loved Dead Ringers, didn't think ExiZtenz was so great, and still have to see Crash. He's interesting.

I wonder what SoNowThen thinks of him... I thoughtlessly left Cronenberg out of our Canadian-cinema conversation in the Atom Egoyan topic.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.

modage

not that its relevant at this point, but i was really excited about this movie from the previews and was severely disappointed.  it was bad, i mean BAD.  i went opening night and almost fell asleep.  ralph fiennes was terrible.  he had like 3 lines in the whole movie.  the concept was okay, ,but completely predictable from like 10 minutes intot he movie.  it was boring as shit and had little point.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Ghostboy

No offense, but it sounds like the whole thing went right over your head.

modage

none taken.  was there something i missed?
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Ghostboy

I may have worded my reply a little harshly. I'm sure you got the point of the movie, which was that the movie was simply a deconstruction of one man's illusions -- it didn't have any grand scheme, other than to offer a dense look into an insane mind, so if you were expecting something more substantial than that, something more like a standard mystery thriller, I can see how you might have been disappointed. But that's exactly why I think it's brilliant -- it's so layered and deep, and yet so minute at the same time. Just a little story. And Ralph Fiennes's performance was amazing, precisely BECAUSE he only had three lines -- he did so much with his face and with those incomprehensible mumbles.

Cecil

exactly. this is a bold film, one that takes alot of bravery to tackle.

MacGuffin

Many  :kiss: es to budgie.

I blind bought this today because of her recommendation, and I can say I was not disappointed. Thank you, dear, this will really help with my current project.

Spider's introduction was one of the best character intros I have seen. You got this man right from the get-go. Ralph Fiennes and Miranda Richardson were brilliant. The only problem I had was with the little boy's limited acting range. But other than that, it was a fascinating character study.

Quote from: budgieCronenberg does for here what Lynch does for small town America.

It's funny you mention Lynch because I kept feeling a little bit of "Eraserhead" as I was watching this.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

budgie

I'm so happy to find more takers for this. I was given the DVD as a gift (though dismayed to see the region one has all the extras while ours has soundbites) and loved it just as much the second time. Knowing the ending made it even more moving, since instead of just a puzzle, the adult Spider becomes constantly tragic. The scene where he writhes on the bare earth muttering 'my mum, my mum' just had me. And the final shot of Miranda Richardson... God, what a perfect film.

As for the little boy's acting... he's all dumb repression, sealed up like the rest of the movie. Like Fiennes, he doesn't have to do anything.

It's just so English. I love that a Canadian made it.

Quote from: MacGuffin
It's funny you mention Lynch because I kept feeling a little bit of "Eraserhead" as I was watching this.

You're disgusting.

ono

Quote from: budgie
Quote from: MacGuffin
You're disgusting.
Hah!  :-D