Spider-Man 3

Started by MacGuffin, March 22, 2005, 12:43:47 AM

picolas

i think it's lighting in the distance because they wouldn't give him ears that big.

matt35mm

It could be lightning, but if it is anybody, it's Hobgoblin.  Like Polka said, it makes sense.

picolas

also i don't think he would have a long beard.

MacGuffin

New 'Spidey 3' Image Has Fans Tingling About Venom
Picture could confirm Topher Grace's supposed role as supervillain.
Source: MTV

With production finally under way on "Spider-Man 3," the web of rumors and gossip that has tied up message boards for months is finally beginning to unravel. Now, with the official release of a new image, Spidey fan senses are tingling over expectations of a story line as complicated as it is black-and-white.

"Spider-Man Is Wearing a Black Suit!" screams the Daily Bugle headline that was recently leaked quietly on Sony's official "Spider-Man 3" Web site. It's accompanied by an enormous photo of the blockbuster movie character perched atop a building ledge, looking downward in an apparently grim state of reflection. The page is notable for far greater reasons than J. Jonah Jameson giving better placement to Spidey's new threads than to a high school basketball game. Indeed, in the eyes of diehard fans, the release of this picture may confirm the third film's Venom story line, which has been the subject of heavy speculation.

For the benefit of those who don't sleep on Doctor Octopus bedsheets, Venom is the name of the deadly quasi-alien creature who has been menacing the comic-book version of Spider-Man for nearly 20 years. Originally a costume discovered on an alien planet during the spin-off series "Secret Wars," the suit eventually revealed itself as a sentient Symbiote attempting to permanently fuse with Peter Parker's body. Once the costume was removed, it attached itself to fellow Bugle reporter Eddie Brock, making him one of the webslinger's most feared supervillains.

Since his casting last year, rumors have circulated that Topher Grace will take on the Venom role opposite the similarly built (and named) Tobey Maguire. Although the complicated details of the acquisition of the suit and Eddie Brock's fall from grace are expected to be largely abridged for the film, fans continue to speculate that the black-suited menace will appear alongside Thomas Haden Church's Sandman and James Franco's Green Goblin as a trio of film villains. The film has already been slated for a May 4, 2007, release date.

Although many fan circles would undoubtedly be pleased by a cinematic Venom, the new image is already raising as many questions as it answers. If it is Venom, fans are asking, where are the white rings around the eyes and the slick spider logo on the chest? If the film does plan to avoid the complicated planet-hopping story line of "Secret Wars," how can it do justice to the unearthly creature? Finally, with Maguire facing his first fully-suited adversary, will director Sam Raimi give in to his "Evil Dead" tendencies and go wild with a computer-generated character? To paraphrase "Spider-Man" co-creator Stan Lee: Stay tuned, true believers.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

'Spider-Man' Secretary Dishes On Hero's Hookups, Black Suit
Elizabeth Banks' character gets close with Peter Parker, but who wears mysterious dark costume?
Source: MTV

Elizabeth Banks knew it was coming, and the amiable, giggly "Slither" star was still willing to oblige. But she insisted that she has to maintain her limits.

"Honestly, you're killing me with these questions," Banks laughed. "I just don't want to be the one to give anything away 'cause Lord knows I don't want to anger anyone over at 'Spider-Man 3.' "

The 31-year-old actress, like series co-stars Topher Grace and Kirsten Dunst, has found herself caught up in a public tug-of-war with journalists and fans as they clamor for tiny tidbits on one of the most anticipated films in production. With more than a year remaining until fans see "Spider-Man 3," however, the Daily Bugle secretary was willing to break a little news.

"I do definitely sort of explore a little bit more of my relationship with Peter Parker," revealed Banks, who portrays J. Jonah Jameson employee Betty Brant in the movies. "I learned my lesson a long time ago that you never comment on how big your part is going to be in movies because you can always be cut out."

Still, Banks admitted, the groundwork is being laid for a Peter-Betty relationship much like the office romance they shared in the comics. Banks discussed a list of Peter Parker paramours that will also include Mary Jane Watson (Dunst) and Gwen Stacy (Bryce Dallas Howard). "Peter Parker — he actually is Hugh Hefner.

"I think everyone knows he does end up with Mary Jane Watson," Banks said. "You'll just have to wait and see in 2007."

Banks' excitement does get the better of her, however, when talk turns to the recently leaked image of a mysterious figure in a black Spider-Man costume. "They're really exploring the dark side of power, the power a superhero has," Banks said. "Do you use it all for good? That's the question. That's the main theme of the movie."

Pressed for a bit more, Banks would only reveal that she did see the black-suited figure walking around the set. Asked if there was any kind of white logo or trimming (which could indicate the villainous Venom rather than a new suit for Spidey), Banks dropped the bombshell that the suit is all one color: "It's black."

Banks insisted that she doesn't mind being peppered with such questions and that she's appreciative of her role in one of the most high-profile series in movie history. "It is very cool; I'm really excited for people to see it," she said. "I worked not much longer in this movie than I did on the previous two movies, so that will be an indication of how big my role is, and then we'll see what they end up with in the actual movie."

Banks, who portrayed the party girl from hell in last year's "The 40-Year-Old Virgin," did admit to one question she is sick of answering: " 'Do you like to do it yourself?' " she quoted from the movie. "People associate that line with me."
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Spidey 3 Spoilers?
Possible plot details now online.

Cinematical has posted what it claims are MAJOR SPOILERS about the plot of Spider-Man 3. Bear in mind that their scoop comes from The IMDB, which in turn cites Dark Horizons as the original source of the purported leak:

*SPOILER WARNING*

Spider-Spoilers: Plot Leak?

The news of the hour for geek movie fans is the sudden appearance of a plot synopsis for the third Spider-Man movie. You can read the full three paragraph summary here, but for now I'll break it down for you to hit the important bits.  Mostly, it's a list of confirmations of previous rumors - presuming, of course, this synopsis is legitimate.

*Gwen Stacy, daughter of the new police chief, will in fact develop a crush on Peter, causing some sort of love triangle as Pete and MJ are finally getting their relationship off the ground.
*Jameson will hire investigative journalist Eddie Brock to follow Peter around and figure out why MJ would leave Jameson's successful son for this loser kid.
*Sandman will come into being as an escaped prisoner hiding out on a remote beach is caught in a dreadful accident and finds himself turned into a shape-shifting sand creature.
*While investigating a crime scene Peter will find a "black substance" which merges with his costume to give him new powers. Hello, Venom.
*Harry finally snaps and becomes the new Goblin, teaming up with Sandman to fight Spider-Man.
*Lives of people "close to Peter" will be lost. This probably means MJ, since she isn't supposed to be alive currently anyway.
*Eddie Brock will become "distraught" for some reason. At this point, the "black substance" departs from Peter and joins up with Eddie to form sequel fuel.

Skeleton FilmWorks

Kal

Well... spoilers or not is really nothing we didnt know before... I'm afraid this movie wont be so good

McfLy

It will be nothing but eye-candy. And Bruce Campbell's trademark cameo is always welcome.

Reinhold

it'll be out on my 20th birthday.

at this point, it looks fitting: a new episode hyped up but probably mediocre at best.
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

MacGuffin

Thomas Haden Church Talks About Working with Director Sam Raimi
Source: About.com

Thomas Haden Church earned a Best Supporting Actor Oscar nomination for his role as Paul Giamatti's womanizing best friend in the critically acclaimed indie film, Sideways. Church is following up that attention-getting role with parts in bigger budgeted movies, including two animated family films and a major role as one of the main villains in Spider-Man 3.

Church plays one of Spider-Man's enemies ('Flint Marko/Sandman') in the third installment of the Spider-Man film franchise, directed by Sam Raimi and starring Tobey Maguire and Kirsten Dunst. Although the press rounds for Spider-Man 3 are a long way off, while on a press tour in support of the DreamWorks' animated comedy, Over the Hedge, Church answered a couple of my Spider-Man 3 questions and lavished praise on director Raimi.

Sam Raimi's Directorial Style: "It’s very choreographed because, not unlike an animated film, everything is animatically strategized.

They have the whole movie. I’ve seen the whole movie – I saw it last summer in animatics. I’ve seen everything and what Sam does is, and it’s what I’ve been doing since I started shooting in November, is you just get as close to what is animatically configured. You just get as close to that as you can in a live-action setting or stage.

You know Sam, despite all of the airs and graces of this being a hugely successful franchise and action movie and superhero movie, Sam is ultimately a brilliant actor’s director. I’ve described him in more than one interview as like Elia Kazan locked inside of Richard Donner. Even though I think Richard Donner is a great actor’s director, too... He’s just...he’s a very specific actor’s director. [Raimi’s] very specific when it comes to performances. He’s very specific and he pushes really hard, but it’s very rewarding.

I shot a scene in January that was a very emotional scene in the movie for my character. And I didn’t understand… We shot all the other coverage all day long, and I was actually starting to get kind of frustrated. I could feel it. I was starting to get a little irritable. And as they day progressed we broke for lunch and we hadn’t gotten any coverage on my side. I was like, ‘Well this is bulls**t man. I’m like working my a** off over here and Sam doesn’t seem to be in too big of a hurry.’

We continued building and building, and then we came back from lunch and we kept building and building. There was a lot of coverage, there was a lot of lighting changes because there’s a whole kind of thing where a window blows out and a storm blows in and there’s all these effects that had to be captured on camera. And I really felt myself becoming more and more physically aggressive. I kind of snapped at a couple of people – and I apologized. I felt myself becoming more emotionally aggressive. He then set two cameras on me and we went for a rehearsal. I slammed the stunt guy; I grabbed him and I slammed him really hard into the wall. Sam came over and goes, ‘You’re ready for your close-up.’ He knew exactly what he was doing. That just gave me goosebumps. He knew exactly what he was doing every step of the way all day long. I had like one rehearsal and he’s like, ‘You’re ready. We can get your close-up first,’ because he knew I was right there and that’s exactly how I had to be in the scene, which was, you know, super aggressive - almost homicidally aggressive."

Church continued. "He shot the close-up first and then he started backing the camera out and shooting the rest of the coverage. And really, I went up to him when we wrapped and I hugged him. I was like, ‘Wow, you taught me so much today that I really thought I knew, and I didn’t know.’ That’s what it was. It was unraveling the conventions of filmmaking as I’ve learned them and teaching me another way. Honestly, a very kind of improvisional way of doing it. Like watching the actor, really watching me and paying attention to all the elements, but watching me because I do drive the scene. But waiting and waiting and waiting and waiting until he saw me get to where I needed to be. And, hey, unbeknownst to me it took me all day to get there but once I was there, he captured it like that."

Strange As It Sounds, Over the Hedge and Spider-Man 3 Share Target Audiences: Thomas Haden Church really believes that both of his upcoming films are aimed at 12 through 15-year-olds. Church said, "Oh yeah. And even younger but I would say the main audience, the mean audience age is probably 12. I mean Sam - not to go off tangentially - but Sam Raimi’s whole philosophy behind directing is to constantly, constantly be feeding information. Children from like 8 and even up to the college age - Spider-Man appeals to a fairly broad demographic but, like I said, a mean age probably of 12 is a good mark - they process information so quickly and it’s not because of attention deficit or short attention span.

It’s just processing information and that they’re very hungry for information, very hungry.

That’s his whole philosophy behind the Spider-Man movies and clearly they’ve met with some success by virtue of his philosophy. It’s like, 'Gotta keep moving, gotta keep moving, gotta keep moving…,' because the audience is moving, you know? 'Don’t worry about letting the emotionally important moments land, keep moving forward.' It’s not to say that there isn’t an emotional impact, because there is. But, you know, it works because Tobey Maguire is a very accessible actor and person. It’s all by design because he wants to constantly be feeding new information to the audience.

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

©brad

they were filming in midtown all weekend. yesterday i tried to get a sneak peak and some punk ass, skinny ass PA told me to mess off; "um, you need to keep walking sweetheart." i wanted to through him in front of the M11 buss. i really did.

Ghostboy

Yeah, I saw some big production the other day and didn't know what it was, and then I checked AICN this morning and what do you know...

Pubrick

Quote from: ©brad on May 30, 2006, 10:14:48 PM
they were filming in midtown all weekend. yesterday i tried to get a sneak peak and some punk ass, skinny ass PA told me to mess off; "um, you need to keep walking sweetheart." i wanted to through him in front of the M11 buss. i really did.
what was he gonna do? you should've said 'hi' to him.
under the paving stones.

MacGuffin

Big Spider-Man 3 Report and More Set Pics!
Source: Superhero Hype!

'Venom657' sent in this excellent report from the Spider-Man 3 set in New York. The scooper actually got a chance to briefly talk to director Sam Raimi who divulged a few details about the teaser trailer and Venom in the movie. There are some spoilers included, so only read ahead if you'd like to know certain things about the movie:

My brother was staying at the Hilton across the street from where they were filming, and I was a few blocks away. Knowing how big of a Spider-Man fan I am my brother immediately rushed to tell me what was going on when he found out what the men across the street were building around a fountain for. I freaked and ran down there myself at night and they told me to come back in the morning.

So when I got there, I saw Topher Grace and James Cromwell. I was stoked. The coolest thing though I noticed was the black and white Spider-Man 3 logo on the actors' chairs. They filmed a few scenes where "Captain Stacy" drives up to the wreckage scene and orders people around. Then "Eddie" drives up in a cab and starts snapping pictures, then Stacy yells at the cab to get away, and then they react to an explosion.

After they were done filming these scenes they moved the camera. (By the way I almost got my picture with Topher Grace, but this woman hopped in, then Topher walked away) Hence, me and my sister very sad.

But my dream came true when I saw Sam Raimi standing there not looking busy. I jumped in and immediately told him how much his movies meant to me, and I thanked him for doing these movies. He asked for my name and what I did. To which I replied I am ****** and I work at a coffee shop in California, in which we are all comic book fans, and all we do are discuss your movies, and I told him that I always defended his points. (Which I do) Then I started asking him the stuff you will be interested in. By the way while I was asking these questions a woman came up and a man and said, you aren't supposed to be talking about this. But I think Sam, seeing the excitement in me didn't want to turn me away.

First off, I asked him about the teaser trailer and I said, it's coming with Talladega Nights right? Before I finished asking the question, he said Superman. And I said what? Because you guys at Superhero Hype! said Talladega nights. Then Sam Raimi himself said Superman, and there was another man listening who confirmed that. But then Sam said well I don't know what "they're" doing but they told me Superman Returns. Keep a look out.

I had so many questions I don't know why I asked him these when I look back on it. Probably because Venom means so much to me. I first asked... and pointed to the chairs. Will Venom have a black suit with a "WHITE" logo, unlike black suit Spidey and he said yes. I think I said THANK YOU! Then I asked if Topher would be in a suit or if Venom would be CGI, to which he said he will be in a suit, and obviously the actors can only do so much with the heroes and so Venom will obviously have to have some CG. Then I said and he will be in the movie for the last ten minutes right? Then he hesitated, like he wasn't sure what to tell me then finally said "that's correct." Those weren't his exact words. But pretty close, this is all from memory. Then I thanked him again and walked away.

I went the next day too and you have most of the pictures. But I found on the street parked above where they were filming the broken taxi... just parked on the street and the Daily Bugle truck that you've already seen. I went back to the site and they had guys washing all the debri away. I sat and talked to one of the guys who built the set, and he told me the scene which they were filming and that I saw the previous couple days. He said, basically there is a crane on the corner roof of a building and it breaks taking the whole corner offices with it, and Gwen being in the office holds on to a telephone wire and it breaks then Spider-Man saves her. Meanwhile Eddie and Captain Stacy are there waching and what not.

What else can I tell you... Oh yeah, they said they will be filming starting Wednesday.. that's today, at Wall Street on a broken down construction set, where they will be filming a big fight sequence. My guess is that it's a cool place to battle Sandman.

Oh yeah, Sam also said that we will probably not see Venom in the teaser.

http://superherohype.com/cgi-bin/imageFolio.cgi?direct=Spider-Man/Spider-Man_3/On_Set

Skeleton FilmWorks