eternal sunshine de l'mind spotless..

Started by Satcho9, February 03, 2003, 10:15:53 PM

ono

Rewatched this this afternoon and was floored.  My first time I loved it.  My second time, I had criticisms.  On this third (or probably more -- I watched with commentary way back when too, and have read the shooting script a couple times to try to understand how Kaufman does what he does), I really can't find many flaws with it.  It's a perfectly written, perfectly executed movie, that still holds up almost 18 years later.  Winslet, not even 30, gives a performance for the ages with her take on the manic pixie dream girl before Zooey, and Carrey proves his chops as the quiet everyman.  It holds up because of the universal truths Kaufman taps into, the amazing technical execution Gondry applied to every sequence, and the great B subplot that ties this together, with Dunst's performance being the standout.  It's not often that I feel like saying this, but this one is worth saying for.  What a time it was to be alive, watching movies in that era.

PinkTeeth

I remember seeing it opening night in my own small town.
I remember the minutes leading up to my second viewing, being scared that my hyperbole was ruining it for my friend.
I remember the soundtrack and mowing lawn.
I remember it being more important than my first break up, and being okay with that.
I remember watching it with my dying dog bunned up in my lap because i didnt know how to what else to do.

For every other movie I'd love to lament to a profound moment in my life, it'll only ever boil down to this one.

New Name, Same Typos.