Anime

Started by penfold0101, June 10, 2003, 09:06:23 AM

penfold0101

Last night i saw The Animatrix and the animation of all the shorts just blew me away. Now I need some more!

Can any of you Guys and Gals out there recommend any other fantastically animated films (it doesn't have to be anime).

I've seen Akira, Princess Mononoke and one or two others.

Thanks.
"There was a fantastic universal sense that whatever we were doing was right, that we were winning. And that, I think, was the handle - that sense of inevitable victory over the forces of Old and Evil. Not in any mean or military sense; we didn't need that. Our energy would simply prevail. There was no point in fighting - on our side or theirs. We had all the momentum; we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave.
So now, less than five years later, you can go up on a steep hill in Las Vegas and look West, and with the right kind of eyes you can almost see the high - water mark - that place where the wave finally broke and rolled back." - Hunter S. Thompson.

Rudie Obias

NEON GENESIS EVANGELION
is the best anime out there.  it's a 24 episode series, it's great!

others: (movies & series)
PERFECT BLUE
NINJA SCROLL
COYBOY BEBOP
HIS & HER CIRCUMSTANCES
WINGS OF HONNEAMISE
GHOST AND THE SHELL
AKIRA
VAMPIRE HUNTER D
SPIRITED AWAY
FULL METAL PANIC
NOIR
DEVIL MAN
SAKURA DIARIES
SPRIGGAN

ps
i always had this idea of making A CLOCKWORK ORANGE and MAGNOLIA into an anime manga feature.  i think that would be so cool!!
\"a pair of eyes staring at you, projected on a large screen is what cinema is truly about.\" -volker schlöndorff

Raikus

Let me highly recommend getting into the Cowboy Bebop series. The movie comes out on DVD the end of this month, but watch the series first. In my opinion it's the best anime out there. Also, if you like the "Detective Story" art and action, it's by the same guy.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

Duck Sauce

Which ones are nonsupernatural/alien/monster/school girl sex movies?

SoNowThen

I always thought Fist Of The North Star was cool.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

Raikus

Quote from: Duck SauceWhich ones are nonsupernatural/alien/monster/school girl sex movies?
Well, the stereotype doesn't apply to Cowboy Bebop. Think Western Noir.

And you forgot giant robots.
Yes, to dance beneath the diamond sky with one hand waving free, silhouetted by the sea, circled by the circus sands, with all memory and fate driven deep beneath the waves, let me forget about today until tomorrow.

Rudie Obias

Quote from: RaikusLet me highly recommend getting into the Cowboy Bebop series.  In my opinion it's the best anime out there.

have you seen NEON GENESIS EVANGELION?
\"a pair of eyes staring at you, projected on a large screen is what cinema is truly about.\" -volker schlöndorff

Raikus

A few episodes but not the whole series. I still stand by my quote though.

Pedro

I think that Serial Experiments: Lain is great, too.

Rudie Obias

Quote from: RaikusA few episodes but not the whole series. I still stand by my quote though.

dude, watch the whole series.  i assure you that you'll be blown away! also watch the 2 movies.

Pubrick

Quote from: RaikusA few episodes but not the whole series. I still stand by my quote though.
i hav seen both series and i support ur quote.

i also support this quote:

Quote from: Pedro the WombatI think that Serial Experiments: Lain is great, too.
tho i wouldn't recommend it to sumone who just began their anime appreciation. it's pretty demanding.
under the paving stones.

Rudie Obias

Quote from: Pedro the WombatI think that Serial Experiments: Lain is great, too.

Lain is cool but the series is kinda boring.  i really love the character lain though.  she's super cool with her navi.

penfold0101

Has any one got any good anime websites? i need more info on titles, i need to know more about the genre, styles (visually) and types (story wise).  

and a good place or two to buy anime from (i would prefer R2 but i can do R1). I'm finding it a little hard to find some where with a decent catalogue.

All help Gratefully received
Thanks
"There was a fantastic universal sense that whatever we were doing was right, that we were winning. And that, I think, was the handle - that sense of inevitable victory over the forces of Old and Evil. Not in any mean or military sense; we didn't need that. Our energy would simply prevail. There was no point in fighting - on our side or theirs. We had all the momentum; we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave.
So now, less than five years later, you can go up on a steep hill in Las Vegas and look West, and with the right kind of eyes you can almost see the high - water mark - that place where the wave finally broke and rolled back." - Hunter S. Thompson.

MacGuffin

New Director for Live-Action Akira
Irish helmer Robinson rumoured to direct manga classic.
by Orlando Parfitt, IGN UK

A live-action version of the seminal post-apocalyptic Manga film Akira could finally be making its way to the big screen.

Warner Bros., according to Bloody-Disgusting.com, has reportedly hired Irish helmer Ruari Robinson to direct this crazy tale of bikers, psychics and giant teddybears crying milk, all set in futuristic, dystopian Tokyo.

This will be the first time Robinson has directed a feature, although he did make the atmospheric short Silent City. He also received an Oscar nomination for another short, Fifty Percent Grey.

The project has been in the works for a while, with Warner Bros. announcing that Stephen Norrington (The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen) would direct from a script from James Robinson, although that deal fell through in 2003.

It is rumoured the studio is currently fast-tracking the project to shoot before the impending writers strike.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

DiCaprio, Warner Bros. in for live-action 'Akira'
Source: Hollywood Reporter

Anime classic "Akira" is getting the live-action big screen treatment courtesy of Leonardo DiCaprio and Warner Bros.

Ruairi Robinson has been hired to direct what would ideally be a two-part epic. Gary Whitta is writing the adaptation, which DiCaprio will produce via his Appian Way shingle. Andrew Lazar is also producing via his Mad Chance shingle. Jennifer Davisson, who heads up Appian, will also be involved in some producorial capacity.

"Akira" originated in 1988 as a manga and then as an animated film co-written and directed by Katsuhiro Otomo. The story was set in a neon-lit futuristic post-nuclear war "New Tokyo" in 2019 where a teen biker gang member is subjected to a government experiment which unleashes his latent powers. The gang's leader must find a way to stop the ensuing swathe of destruction.

With its mature themes and cutting-edge animation, "Akira" was a milestone movie in anime and even animation circles, and led the way for anime making inroads into Western pop culture in the 1990s.

"Akira" has long been in development at the company, with producers Jon Peters and Basil Iwanyk involved at various times, as well as directors Stephen Norrington and Pitof. The rights lapsed but Warner managed to re-scoop them again for Robinson, who came to the studio with a vision of a two-part adaptation.

The new story moves the action to "New Manhattan," a city rebuilt by Japanese money.

The studio is eyeing a summer 2009 release for the first movie.

Greg Silverman is overseeing for Warners.

Whitta, repped by UTA and Circle of Confusion, wrote "The Book of Eli," which the Hughes Brothers are directing for Warners and Silver Pictures.

"Akira" would mark the feature directorial debut for Robinson who was nominated for a best animated short Oscar in 2001 for a sci-fi comedy called "Fifty Percent Grey." He also wrote and directed a sci-fi short titled "The Silent City." Robinson is repped by CAA and 3 Arts Entertainment.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks