XIXAX Film Forum

Film Restoration and Preservation

wilder · 116 · 26524

jenkins

• The Master of Two Worlds
Reply #105 on: April 28, 2021, 05:28:15 PM

On The Criterion Channel May 6th. Trailer above.

he's a good example, in fact a slightly influential example (in movieland), of the materials needed for captivating drama existing right in life. he influenced who? Kaufman most noticeably, but also ARP, in terms of kindred spirits, those I know for sure, and Baumbach theoretically. plus, he was the killer in Last Action Hero

it's too bad that The Wife isn't being included. and his other two I've never seen. what sort of package will he be a part of on the criterion channel, I'm not sure, although I see the list, and Minnie and Moskowitz is coming too, oh good, a selection of Josephine Decker, that's nice, Dennis Hopper's The Last Movie, cool, plus Lois Weber selections

WorldForgot

• 'change your hair, change your life'
    • portfolio ~
Reply #106 on: April 30, 2021, 12:30:45 PM

Remembering and honouring the tragedy of the Holocaust has been the motive behind countless films depicting life in concentration camps, revealing the hardships people endured, and portraying inspirational stories of survival and resilience. Here, we take a look at powerful films that have illuminated one of history’s most traumatic events.

We hope you enjoy these iconic films, exclusive introductions, and discussions with filmmakers, historians and experts!

Featuring over 25 powerful films (released 1940-today).

To attend, visit j-flix.com and sign up as a member. After signing up, simply log in at watch.tjff.com. You will have free access to all films available in your country. Registration space for each title is limited, so sign up today!

ALL Films available in Canada (except Quebec)

23 Films available in Quebec

20 Films available in USA

8 Films available in UK

7 Films available in Australia

6 Films available Worldwide

May 6-15, commemorate the 75th anniversary of liberation with some incredible films about the holocaust that will all be available to stream entirely for free (mostly available in CA/US but some available worldwide)

WorldForgot

• portfolio ~
Reply #107 on: May 18, 2021, 11:38:50 PM

wilder

Reply #108 on: June 06, 2021, 12:36:25 PM
Coming to blu-ray from Oscilloscope June 22, 2021

Oscilloscope has restored Tom Noonan's What Happened Was... (1994). Now available VOD.

Winner of the Grand Jury Prize and the Screenwriting Award at the 1994 Sundance Film Festival, WHAT HAPPENED WAS… is Tom Noonan’s directorial debut; a darkly humorous take on dating dread. Featuring powerhouse performances by Noonan and Karen Sillas as two lonely hearts spending one claustrophobic Friday night together in an imposing apartment, the film exposes with startling clarity the ways in which people struggle to connect. As relevant now as ever, O-Scope undertook a brand new 4K restoration from the film’s original 35mm negative and is making this pristine version widely available for the first time since the 90s.

wilder

Reply #109 on: June 09, 2021, 11:53:30 AM
Now streaming on Shudder

Recently discovered and restored 46 years after its completion by the George A. Romero Foundation and produced by Suzanne Desrocher-Romero, The Amusement Park stars Martin’s Lincoln Maazel as an elderly man who finds himself disoriented and increasingly isolated as the pains, tragedies and humiliations of aging in America are manifested through roller coasters and chaotic crowds. Commissioned by the Lutheran Society, the film is perhaps Romero’s wildest and most imaginative movie, an allegory about the nightmarish realities of growing older, and is an alluring snapshot of the filmmaker’s early artistic capacity and style and would go on to inform his ensuing filmography. The “lost” film was restored in 4k by IndieCollect in New York City.

wilder

Reply #110 on: June 27, 2021, 05:53:35 PM
Falbalas aka Paris Frills (1945) is coming from StudioCanal UK later this year

Question mark. But whoa.

aka Paris Thrills (1945)

Philippe Clarence, a famous Parisian dressmaker, seduces his friend’s fiancee. But, for the 1st time in his life, this is for real. The film is also a sharp picture of the fashion world.

@ 1:18

Quote from: CriterionForum user sensebove
July 20, 2018

Just saw Jacques Becker's absolutely wonderful Falbalas—did Anderson actually acknowledge it as an influence anywhere?

Because I find it hard to believe he didn't see it... There are too many things that seem to be lifted: a fussy, capricious, and wantonly cruel couturier whose House is managed by his only living relative, a matronly older sister; a breakfast scene where the obsequious former lover who has fallen out of favor storms off when he rejects her overt attempts to cater to him; and some banter between the designer and a model which starts with his seemingly derisive comment on her breast size and ends with him telling her its none of her business (implying what PT makes explicit: it's his to make her have some if he wants her to). I may have gone into it looking for them—but put together they all seem a bit much to be coincidental.

Quote from: Letterboxd user rischka
May 30, 2016

an early becker effort set in the world of haute couture. raymond rouleau stars as a womanizing diva designer who employs an army of seamstresses to produce his creations, each season inspired by a new muse. his latest discovery is betrothed to a dear friend, a girl who's too naive to see his seductions shouldn't be taken seriously. that is, until she's no longer available to him, when he suddenly decides to chuck everything and run away with her, not caring who may be hurt in the process. while i don't totally buy the ending, raymond rouleau is terrific here, becker has a deft hand with the witty dialogues and frantic pace and a great eye for interesting character traits. he still hasn't let me down. plus the wonderful paris 40s fashions esp amazing hats!!

Quote from: Letterboxd user Connor Denney
July 16, 2017

Flippant playboyism descends into the psychosexual when that required component of physical relationships, the self-gratification awarded by absolute power over romantic partners, is not awarded. We see the effects that objectification of women can have when the "objects" begin to turn on their "master," and the response feels as truthful as it does striking and surprising.

wilder

Reply #111 on: October 21, 2021, 03:37:16 PM
^ on blu-ray from StudioCanal UK October 25, 2021, from a 4K restoration

Micheline, a young woman from the provinces, arrives in Paris to prepare for her marriage to a silk manufacturer from Lyon, Daniel Rousseau. Flush with the romance and excitement of Paris, she ends up falling in love with the best friend of her husband-to-be, the fashion designer Philippe Clarence. An unremitting womaniser, Clarence seduces her into a tempestuous liaison doomed for failure.

A 4K restoration of Masahiro Shinoda's Demon Pond (1979) was presented at Cannes last year / is forthcoming from an unknown distributor.

Outside of a small village in Japan, a mysterious pond is inhabited by mythic creatures. Their story is of revenge, tragedy, and the power of real love.

WorldForgot

• portfolio ~
Reply #112 on: November 10, 2021, 08:51:20 PM

Was debating whether I should post this here and it only feels right.

WorldForgot

• portfolio ~
Reply #113 on: November 23, 2021, 04:22:33 PM

New 4K DCP via Janus Films.

Restored from the original camera negative by Cineteca di Bologna and Compass Film, in collaboration with Mediaset, Infinity, Arthur Cohn and Variety Communications at L’Immagine Ritrovata laboratory.
Screening Friday, December 3 – Thursday, December 16 at Film Forum NYC.

'Once upon a time in postwar Italy . . . Vittorio De Sica’s follow-up to his international triumph Bicycle Thieves is an enchanting neorealist fairy tale in which he combined his celebrated slice-of-life poetry with flights of graceful comedy and storybook fantasy.'

wilder

Reply #114 on: November 23, 2021, 05:46:02 PM
That looks fantastic! Hadn’t even heard of it! In the past I've had a hard time vibing with De Sica, but that looks like the one that might do it.

Reminds me of the trailer for CoinCoin and the Extra Humans:

WorldForgot

• portfolio ~
Reply #115 on: November 24, 2021, 12:01:40 AM
Great editing on that trailer. I've gotta check it out to see all that surrounds it, didn't know Bruno Dumont had made a film with a tone like this.