vincent gallo

Started by writedownhere, April 18, 2003, 05:24:03 AM

billybrown

Quote from: Pedro the Wombatbuffalo 66 is great, but it reminds me too much of a very well photographed student film project, where as the other filmmakers have made, well, more accomplished films.

And you could argue that Wes Anderson's films are exercises in production design, Arnonfsky's are very very well photographed Calvin Klein fashion ads, and that Spike Jonze deals with strictly zany, offbeat subjects/characters without any real visual flair. You could argue a lot of things, but fact is, I enjoy the work of all these guys very much, but for me, Buffalo 66 is far more engaging on an emotional and cinematic level than anything those guys have ever done. Certain moments in Requiem For A Dream come close, but still don't hit the heights of Buffalo 66 on the whole.

Pedro

Quote from: billybrown
Quote from: Pedro the Wombatbuffalo 66 is great, but it reminds me too much of a very well photographed student film project, where as the other filmmakers have made, well, more accomplished films.

And you could argue that Wes Anderson's films are exercises in production design, Arnonfsky's are very very well photographed Calvin Klein fashion ads, and that Spike Jonze deals with strictly zany, offbeat subjects/characters without any real visual flair. You could argue a lot of things, but fact is, I enjoy the work of all these guys very much, but for me, Buffalo 66 is far more engaging on an emotional and cinematic level than anything those guys have ever done. Certain moments in Requiem For A Dream come close, but still don't hit the heights of Buffalo 66 on the whole.
this is where we must differ, and i like what you said about anderson, but requiem hit me a lot harder than buffalo '66

billybrown

Quote from: Pedro the Wombat
Quote from: billybrown

this is where we must differ, and i like what you said about anderson, but requiem hit me a lot harder than buffalo '66

I guess we can then just agree to disagree. Films can be very subjective and personal experiences, and we all have certain ones that strike a particular chord for one reason or other. Cest la vie.

Pubrick

i still don't get why he picked those 3 random names.

wes is no less whiny than pta, and what the fuck is an un-darling? jesus, he named directors who aren't even a percent as public/preachy as him.

i mean, is that quote even attributable to him? what the hell is going on here!? it's an incredibly stupid thing to say.
under the paving stones.

Ghostboy

Have you guys ever seen Freeway 2? Man, Gallo's cock is ginormous! No wonder he says whatever he wants to say.

SoNowThen

Quote from: Pi still don't get why he picked those 3 random names.

wes is no less whiny than pta, and what the fuck is an un-darling? jesus, he named directors who aren't even a percent as public/preachy as him.

i mean, is that quote even attributable to him? what the hell is going on here!? it's an incredibly stupid thing to say.

I think that's what made the quote funny. It's like the writer (who because he has a very similar tone to interviews, I assume is Gallo) just picked three popular filmmakers, any three that came to the top of his head. Oh, and I figure the un-darling thing has to do with when they call someone a Critic's Darling.

And GB, "ginormous"... hehehe, such a classic word...
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

meatwad

For anyone interested, he makes an appearance in the new jay-z video "99 problems" directed by mark romanek. It seemed strange to me considering i think gallo has publicly trashed romanek. I guess it's hard to find anyone these days who gallo has not talked bad about.

I have a feeling it was one of those things where he did it for the money. I'm sure he will claim that is the reason either way

Quote from: meatwadFor anyone interested, he makes an appearance in the new jay-z video "99 problems" directed by mark romanek. It seemed strange to me considering i think gallo has publicly trashed romanek. I guess it's hard to find anyone these days who gallo has not talked bad about.

I have a feeling it was one of those things where he did it for the money. I'm sure he will claim that is the reason either way

Gotta link to that?
context, context, context.

meatwad

Quote from: cronopioGotta link to that?

nah, sorry. Saw the video on MTV this morning.

Slick Shoes

Since I will probably never see the video, can you describe to me what Mr. Gallo is doing in it? For instance, is he poking his head out of the sunroof of a limo, rhythmically bobbing his head to the beat?

MacGuffin

Jay-Z Gets Blown Away In Provocative New Video
Source: MTV.com

NEW YORK — Jay-Z didn't have a moment to waste.

A large group of media-types, industry executives and DJs had gathered at Tribeca Screening Room Thursday night for the debut of the uncut version of Jay's controversial new video for "99 Problems." But Hov had pressing business elsewhere.

"I really have to go," said a smiling Jay, clad in a dark gray three-button suit, pink shirt and pink-and-gray tie. "I have a team in the playoffs."

"Do your thing, pa, get that championship!" a supporter shouted back at him.

But before Jay left for Madison Square Garden to see his New Jersey Nets beat the New York Knicks in the third game of the NBA Eastern Conference Playoffs, he spoke briefly about the video. Hov explained that he wasn’t really passionate about making his last two clips, "Change Clothes" and "Dirt off Your Shoulder," and that this time, he really wanted to get artistic and show an uglier, bleaker side of Brooklyn.

"I said, 'I want to shoot a pissy wall,' " Jay said. "You know how a photographer can make a pissy wall look like art? That's what I wanted."

Director Mark Romanek (Johnny Cash's "Hurt," Michael Jackson's "Scream") lived up to Hov's expectations: "99 Problems" is arguably Jay's most uncompromising and stark video to date. Featuring guest appearances from actor Vincent Gallo and Rick Rubin (the track's producer), the uncut version features lurid prison scenes, cockfighting, a funeral, and — most shocking — Jay getting riddled with bullets toward the clip's close. That scene drew a gasp from some members of the audience at the Tribeca.

Jigga said he has already butted heads with MTV and BET about airing his clip and joked that he feels like Madonna when she went through her video controversies.

MTV has agreed to play the clip with the scene of Jay-Z getting murdered at the end, but only after a airing a news piece that features Jay talking with Sway about his motivation for the provocative video.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

meatwad

Quote from: Slick ShoesSince I will probably never see the video, can you describe to me what Mr. Gallo is doing in it? For instance, is he poking his head out of the sunroof of a limo, rhythmically bobbing his head to the beat?

it's really just a few short clips of him walking down the street with rick rubin. It was a blink and you miss cameo.

Just Withnail

Quote from: MacGuffinthe uncut version features lurid prison scenes, cockfighting, a funeral

Quote from: meatwadit's really just a few short clips of him walking down the street with rick rubin. It was a blink and you miss cameo.

No cockfighting for Gallo this time, huh?

context, context, context.

Ordet

QuoteHave you guys ever seen Freeway 2? Man, Gallo's cock is ginormous! No wonder he says whatever he wants to say.

How big is it?  

:shock: I have this weird analogy on filmmakers and sluts.
Based on how much they expose themselves and their creative process and how much of their personality they reveal.
I guess it's a Kubrickian thing. Kubrick was my fav director ever since I discovered him with Space Odyssey I was like 7 then that year my dad took me to see the newly released Full Metal Jacket. Anyway long story short. Kubrick was my big influence for a really long time. And I thought the whole recluse mysteriousness thing was awesome.

Every director has that mystery gene within them.

Just like girls have the hard to get thing.

So let's give a few examples of filmmaker-nooky

Mallick and Kubrick – Every guys wet dream gals. No one knows where they live they give there phone numbers to no one. Never go to prom or any parties. (Oscars, Cannes etc)  Some say they are just teasers and posers.

Tarkofsky and Bergman – The one you just fell deeply in love with when she gave you that look in Gym class. She has a rich boyfriend though.

Kevin Smith – Fat slutty girl with big boobs. Puts all the guys in a very long row and gives them all blow jobs. Your friend Tony the pimply computer-vampire comic geek lost his virginity with her.

Woody Allen – Ugly-sexy skinny intelectual chick. The best shag there is. She's pretty slutty too. She quotes Thoreau as your both coming. And explains Kierkegaard as she bathes you...

Paul Thomas Anderson – She was known for not wearing panties to school. In her junior years she was really easy and screwed almost everyone. She was also the coolest gal to hang around with and very hot. Now she's become more uptight and high-maintenance. Laughs at everything you say.

Vincent Gallo- So slutty you actually feel sorry. You do want to do her though. She wants to have sex with you and tape it and post it on the internet. She did it before (Brown Bunny) she cried.

Harmony Korine- The only girl you feel strangely uninhibited with. Years later she becomes your proctologist.

*The only director I would accept his cock projected on screen and not consider him a slut is Lars Von Trier.

*Jean Renoir would've loved to see him moon.
were spinning