Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events

Started by MacGuffin, February 01, 2004, 11:48:07 AM

Stefen

Quote from: ewardthe oldest girl is really hot and i'm older than her.....if only i wasn't a geek who posted on message boards....

haha I thought the same thing but didn't want to say it, don't look at us like were some monsters!
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

This was definitely more than I expected it to be.

My mom read the series and really wanted to see it, and I would've gone, then she offered to pay, and I usualy can't turn down a free movie, so I went.

Let's see... Jim Carrey did a really good job.  Wasn't really Ace Ventura crazy, but he really did a nice... whatever it is that Olaf is.

SPOILERS*********

I enjoyed it except for the ending because it implies that life got better, when within the books, things remain bleak.  The movie is called Series of Unfortunate Events... you'd think it would end pretty sadly.  I did like the whole lesson for children of using bad times as learning experiences, so everything becomes a positive thing.

Otherwise, a pretty great kid's movie.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

The Silver Bullet

I adored this film with every ounce of my being.
RABBIT n. pl. rabĀ·bits or rabbit[list=1]
  • Any of various long-eared, short-tailed, burrowing mammals of the family Leporidae.
  • A hare.
    [/list:o][/size]

Alethia

The Silver Bullet

RABBIT n. pl. rabĀ·bits or rabbit[list=1]
  • Any of various long-eared, short-tailed, burrowing mammals of the family Leporidae.
  • A hare.
    [/list:o][/size]

tpfkabi

Quote from: Stefen
Quote from: ewardthe oldest girl is really hot and i'm older than her.....if only i wasn't a geek who posted on message boards....

haha I thought the same thing but didn't want to say it, don't look at us like were some monsters!

after you wrote such i was inclinded to do some investigating.
i guess you're not the only ones:
http://imdb.com/name/nm0115161/board/nest/13817644
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

Myxo

Just got back from this.

Art: A+
Acting: B+
Story: B-
Direction: See below..

What killed it for me was the pacing. It just drug on, and on, and on..

6.5/10 for me..

But for the kiddos it's an 8.5/10..

ono

You're so one of those guys who took notes when Robin Williams first started teaching his class in Dead Poets Society.

Alethia

Quote from: The Silver BulletThat's a shame.

it really is.  you have no idea how excited i was to see it.

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote from: eward
Quote from: The Silver BulletThat's a shame.

it really is.  you have no idea how excited i was to see it.

p \/\/ /\/ 3 |) !!11!!!!1
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Alethia

Myxo

Quote from: wantautopia?You're so one of those guys who took notes when Robin Williams first started teaching his class in Dead Poets Society.

:roll:

As much as film is art (ooh big word), it is also a discipline that can be looked at and broken apart. I respect every movie I see for what it is, but when something feels like it is missing, I start asking questions.

In this movie one of the only things keeping me in my chair was how it looked and how well Jim Carrey fit into so many different characters. The kids were pretty great as well. However, I felt like I should have enjoyed the movie more for how well made it was visually. After thinking about it on the way home and talking to the friends that felt the same way I did, we all came to the conclusion that it wasn't paced correctly.

It probably comes down to it mostly being a kid's film and edited like that so they wouldn't start making noise in the theater. The whole experience was like watching episodes of Mcguyver directed by Tim Burton.

grand theft sparrow

Quote from: bigideasafter you wrote such i was inclinded to do some investigating.

What do you expect when she's clearly been cloned from Angelina Jolie?!

If we're not careful, we're going to have another Lohan situation on our hands.  Let's just hope this girl can't sing.

RegularKarate

The film would have been disapointing, but I was ready for it to not live up to the trailer.

It had no style of it's own... it was all borrowed from Burton and somewhat from Gilliam.

It wasn't edited very well either... especially the audio editing.

It was enjoyable...I'm glad I saw it, but Jimmy boy got Carreyed away and overdid a lot of it and the plot seemed very skeletal.  It was pretty obvious they were just taking plot points out of the three books.

tpfkabi

Quote from: hacksparrow
Quote from: bigideasafter you wrote such i was inclinded to do some investigating.

What do you expect when she's clearly been cloned from Angelina Jolie?!

If we're not careful, we're going to have another Lohan situation on our hands.  Let's just hope this girl can't sing.

those lips were the first things i noticed. i did some searching and found some premiere pics. she just looks waaaay too young. i have yet to see her on screen though.
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.