ENVY

Started by modage, June 26, 2003, 12:59:43 PM

modage

ENVY d. Barry Levinson
Ben Stiller Jack Black Christopher Walken

TRAILER
http://www.themoviebox.net/trailers/moviebox_trailers/envy_tr1.htm
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Sleuth

It doesn't look that funny either, but I love your signature
I like to hug dogs

Ernie

Lol, me too. I'm guessing it's from the NY screening, the other one, right?

Yea, Envy...it looks stupid.

modage

yeah, it really doesnt look great, but with Ben Stiller and Jack Black I have to see it regardless. i do love how ben stiller is constantly working with Jack Black or Owen Wilson.  he knows who he works well with, he is smart.  also, i cant believe he has 3 movies in the can and already working on Starsky and Hutch.  Envy, Duplex and Captured all "completed" according to imdb.  he is very busy.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

oakmanc234

Yep, Stiller's on a role. He's got 'Envy', 'Duplex', 'Risk Averse' with Jennifer Aniston, 'Starsky & Hutch' comes out a week later, the animated 'Madagascar' comes out 2005 and he's about to film 'Underdogs'.

All these sound nice & dandy (looking forward to 'Duplex' and 'Starsky' the most) but I'm still awaiting 'Meet the Fockers'. Last thing director Jay Roach said was that he's 'still waiting for a script that's as funny as the title'....
'Welcome the Thunderdome, bitch'

modage

okay, to shed a little light here.  the movie that i reffered to as CAPTURED and you as RISK AVERSE, i caught a test trailer today for, and on the tape it says UNTITLED JOHN HAMBURG PROJECT but in the trailer it says RUBEN FEFFER STEPS OUT.  it also said it would be coming out in JANUARY, (obviously this is tenative, but its still news).  it said its from the writer of meet the parents.  and it looked pretty good.  ( i think it looks a lot better than envy, which seems like a disaster, despite the casting).  

RUBEN FEFFER STEPS OUT stars Ben Stiller as Ruben, who plays it really careful.  in one scene with alec baldwin, who appears to be his co-worker at some sort of insurance firm, tells ben stillers fiance is like a sure bet.  debra messing and he get married, she ends up cheating on him right away with some guy on a boat, and then re-evaluates his careful life.  he meets jennifer aniston who is fun and eats with her hands, and then makes some sort of moral re-evaluation.  it looks pretty funny though, and has phillip seymour hoffman also as one of stillers friends.

oakmanc234

How did you watch a 'test trailer'?
'Welcome the Thunderdome, bitch'

Alethia

barry levinson confuses me.

Ghostboy

I've watched test trailers before, the market research people at the mall grab you and ask you if you want to evaluate a trailer, and then they show you a VHS tape and ask you all sorts of questions about how it makes you feel. Then you get a coupon for a fast food place as a reward.

Envy got pushed back to January, which means that at this point there will be four Ben Stiller films released in the space of four months.

modage

Quote from: oakmanc234How did you watch a 'test trailer'?

as ghostboy pointed out, i work for a market research company.  and we used to give out twizzlers, but now you dont get squat.

puddnanners

I heard that the premise of this movie was concieved by Larry David.  

Seinfeld-Curb Your Enthusiasm-Vapoorize?

puddnanners

I heard that the premise of this movie was concieved by Larry David.  

Seinfeld-Curb Your Enthusiasm-Vapoorize?

modage

twice for emphasis.

MacGuffin

Quote from: puddnannersI heard that the premise of this movie was concieved by Larry David.

I wouldn't doubt it. Larry David is an Exec. Producer on "Envy", and the premise sounds very close to:

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Weak2ndAct

Okay, so according to www.scriptsales.com in the sales archive, Larry David and Steve Adams sold this as a pitch like 3 years ago.  The draft that I read was solely credited to Adams, and honestly, not my cuppa tea-- though I must admit that I am curious to see Walken as the villain, he had a substantial part that was pretty outlandish.  I heard recently that David was doing rewrites late in the game, but dunno if that's true or not.  Clear anything up?