Robert Altman's "The Company"

Started by cine, April 03, 2003, 06:05:11 PM

cine

I can't wait for Altman's new dramatic musical, which stars Neve Campbell, Malcolm McDowell, and James Franco. Quite the odd cast for starters. Altman's answer to "Nashville" almost 30 years later? Let's hope.

Duck Sauce

Quote from: CinephileI can't wait for Altman's new dramatic musical, which stars Neve Campbell, Malcolm McDowell, and James Franco. Quite the odd cast for starters. Altman's answer to "Nashville" almost 30 years later? Let's hope.

What do you mean by "answer" ?

bonanzataz

The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

Ernie

Oh, that sounds cool. I've been wanting to see my good friend (and humble narr-ay-tor...as the genius himself pronounces it) Alex again for a loooooooooong time. I've also been wanting Altman to make another awesome movie after the imo horrible...Gosford Park and Dr T & The Woman.

Is it coming out this year by any chance? I wouldn't mind another movie to look forward to...I never do. I need a hell of a lot more to look forward to over the summer, there is shit coming out during my favorite season this year.

cowboykurtis

did you guys know he shot his new picture on 24p? they were shooting it here in chicago -- i knew some of the people working on it. they said altman was the man. it sounds like he has a unique way of working --- as you all know, he shoots with multiple cameras. he has a microphone system in all the camera operators ears, he'll tell them to zoom or pan based on this multiple monitor set up that he uses. do you guys know if he works like this with the camera operators on all his film? it sounds like they werent using rehearsed camera moves at all, it was just all improved depending on what altman saw as the actors moved through the scene. wish i could have seen him run the set.
...your excuses are your own...

Pedro

Quote from: cowboykurtisdid you guys know he shot his new picture on 24p? they were shooting it here in chicago -- i knew some of the people working on it. they said altman was the man. it sounds like he has a unique way of working --- as you all know, he shoots with multiple cameras. he has a microphone system in all the camera operators ears, he'll tell them to zoom or pan based on this multiple monitor set up that he uses. do you guys know if he works like this with the camera operators on all his film? it sounds like they werent using rehearsed camera moves at all, it was just all improved depending on what altman saw as the actors moved through the scene. wish i could have seen him run the set.

That's fucking cool.  I'd love to direct something like that.

©brad

The microphone thing is an Altman trademark, he's been doin it for a long time. Nice to see neve campell return from the cave she's been hiding in the past 4 years.

i think gosford park maybe altman's best film yet.

Ghostboy

I knew about the multiple microphones, but not the multiple cameras -- that's awesome! What a fantastic way to direct.  And yes, Gosford Park is his best film since Short Cuts, by far.

cowboykurtis

i didn't mean multiple microphones as in audio tracks. i meant he has microphones in the camera operators' ears to sepak with them and direct them for camera movement as the scene plays out.
...your excuses are your own...

©brad

ahh, i see. i wasn't aware of that.

cine

What I love about Altman with his attitude towards people talking at once is that he's been doing it since he started making movies. In the mid to late 60's.. he made a Warner Bros. (I think) film.. and it was one of the Warners, if I do recall, who bitched and complained about how the film wouldn't sell because "everybodys talking at one time!!!" I love how he's always had that mindset to have everyone talking.. a big community of people together. You can see it done so well in "MASH" that you just have to laugh your ass off.. when you know Altman wants to do it and he knows some executives HATE it.. the scenes look like blatant slaps in the face... mainly when everyone introduces each other.
and DS, I was raising the question that maybe its going to be Altman making the next big "Nashville".. 'answer' as in.. I can't think of a greater film thats succeeded "Nashville".. as it relates to what he was trying to achieve with his great filmmaking with drama/music.  Maybe Altman will try to top himself.  Perhaps he'll have Campbell write songs since she can write them as it is.

Ernie

Quote from: cbrad4dahh, i see. i wasn't aware of that.

Neither was I. That set must be a bitch to handle with those huge casts he has. That's probably why he does such long takes.

cine

That 'long takes' comment reminds me of something that really pisses me off about the average person: their low attention span.
People who can't watch an Allen, Altman, Kubrick, PTA, Scorsese, etc. movie revert to films like "Armageddon".. and thats unfortunate.

MacGuffin

Hayek & Franco in Robert Altman's Ultraviolet

Variety says that Robert Altman (The Company) will dissect the back-stabbing New York art scene in his next movie Ultraviolet, which will star Salma Hayek and James Franco.

The $16 million pic will be Hayek's first role since her Oscar-nominated turn in Frida. It's set to shoot in September, financed by London-based Capitol Films.

The film, scripted by Jeffrey Lewis, was in development at Focus Features, but Focus is no longer involved with the project.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

godardian

Quote from: CinephileThat 'long takes' comment reminds me of something that really pisses me off about the average person: their low attention span.
People who can't watch an Allen, Altman, Kubrick, PTA, Scorsese, etc. movie revert to films like "Armageddon".. and thats unfortunate.

Hear,  hear!

Even though many of the cinephiles around here don't seem to care for Todd Haynes's brilliant masterpiece Safe, the reasons given for not liking it so much were at least somewhat lucid. Not the standard, "It was too 'slow'. Why did it have to be so 'slow?'" I can't stand that.
""Money doesn't come into it. It never has. I do what I do because it's all that I am." - Morrissey

"Lacan stressed more and more in his work the power and organizing principle of the symbolic, understood as the networks, social, cultural, and linguistic, into which a child is born. These precede the birth of a child, which is why Lacan can say that language is there from before the actual moment of birth. It is there in the social structures which are at play in the family and, of course, in the ideals, goals, and histories of the parents. This world of language can hardly be grasped by the newborn and yet it will act on the whole of the child's existence."

Stay informed on protecting your freedom of speech and civil rights.