The Road

Started by MacGuffin, August 07, 2008, 12:16:58 PM

MacGuffin

"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

The Perineum Falcon

Jesus Christ, what kind of a movie is this? Far and Away?

I'm not really very excited any more, 'cause I can't tell what, exactly, I'll be getting into here. These trailers are terrible.
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

Gold Trumpet

Advertising departments would be flattered if they knew how much credit this board gave to trailers.

The Perineum Falcon

Hopefully then they'd start making better trailers.
We often went to the cinema, the screen would light up and we would tremble, but also, increasingly often, Madeleine and I were disappointed. The images had dated, they jittered, and Marilyn Monroe had gotten terribly old. We were sad, this wasn't the film we had dreamed of, this wasn't the total film that we all carried around inside us, this film that we would have wanted to make, or, more secretly, no doubt, that we would have wanted to live.

Gold Trumpet

What's the definition of a good trailer? That trailer may put more people in seats than others.

gob

Saw this at the London film fest a couple of weeks ago.
The book is one of my all-time favourites, and while the film for me sorely misses McCarthy's incredible lyrical and biblical prose, it is not, not anything like these fucking awful trailers.

Viggo is incredible, the kid is very capable and the supporting performances all range from memorable to exquisite (DuVall is better here than I've seen him for some time).

Just because of my close relationship with the book and the fact that the movie obviously could not spend as much time telling the story/fully feature some of the more nuanced or the disturbing material, I couldn't fully commit myself to it, however, it is a frequently powerful and very competent adaptation.

Stefen

Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

polkablues

My house, my rules, my coffee

squints

jesus christ thats hilarious.
"The myth by no means finds its adequate objectification in the spoken word. The structure of the scenes and the visible imagery reveal a deeper wisdom than the poet himself is able to put into words and concepts" – Friedrich Nietzsche

Stefen

omg@chris tucker.

haha. HAHA.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

modage

God, these are good.  We need an archive.
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Pozer

thought this would perhaps pique interests. Wall Street Journal interview with McCarthy & Hillcoat. always special when Cormac gives words..

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704576204574529703577274572.html

Gamblour.

I'll keep this quick. The book is one of my all time favorites, so I was really looking forward to this, especially with Hillcoat attached. I loved The Proposition and figured if he can reattain that bleakness, it would be good. Well, a few minutes in I could just tell that I was going to be let down. The visuals are boring, inconsistent, and too cg'd up to be great. The best locale, for sure, is the abandoned freeway they used for one key scene, which I actually thought was well done.

But that's not where my disappointment lies -- there's just no poetry here. There's no real threat felt in the film, there's no power or importance behind things in the film, like the cart or their shoes or things like that. It's just this story that moves right along until it's over. I didn't even think it really captured the total devastation of McCarthy's writing. The acting is ok, but far from moving. The kid kinda stinks, and Theron is probably doing everything she should, but it's all of the other elements that didn't make it for me in her scenes.

Overall, very disappointed. The essence of the novel did not transfer, so what's the point?
WWPTAD?

Pozer

^cant be said better than that. honestly couldnt think of one more thing to add, only expand on. but, uh..

Quote from: Gamblour. on December 05, 2009, 05:18:32 PM
what's the point?

Quote from: Gamblour. on December 05, 2009, 05:18:32 PM
It's just this story that moves right along until it's over.

truthfully, this is all that needs to be said of the film.

The Ratner looks to be far more worthy.

RegularKarate

I had read and heard some pretty negative things about this movie.

They were all from people who read the book... I should have known, I haven't read the book... this movie is good.

The kid could have been a little better, but he wasn't that bad.  I kept thinking about how much the kid looks like Charlize Theron... it's scary and I wonder if that was the main reason he was cast.

Anyway... I was moved and I enjoyed it.  It's not the best or anything, but it's refreshing in a kind of lackluster year.