No Country For Old Men

Started by Ghostboy, November 19, 2005, 08:32:58 PM

SiliasRuby

Quote from: picolas on November 13, 2007, 04:20:33 AM
- there are so many great cuts. "it's unusual" actually made me go 'that's damn good editing.' in my head. i was the agent cooper of observing editing for a second.
Did ya say it to your non existant asistant quitely in a tape recorder afterwards or no....
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

picolas

i can see how you might find that similie an exaggeration, but the excellence of many edits made me approach the editing with a certain vigor; a thirst for cuts and non-cuts. it recalibrated my sense of it.

bonanzataz

i wasn't sure when i left the theater. it was too much to think about. the more i've been mulling it over today, though, the more i'm loving this movie. i kind of want to see it again. or read the book. a review would be pointless before everybody here has seen it. it's best not to go in with expectations. i didn't know anything about this movie going in other than the coen brothers made it.

but, shit, man. i had no idea that was the chick from trainspotting! (she's next gonna be in the adaptation of choke, directed by the floor director on what do kids know)
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

idk

The Coen Bros. are going to be on Charlie Rose tonight.

ASmith

Quote from: idk on November 16, 2007, 01:49:09 PM
The Coen Bros. are going to be on Charlie Rose tonight.

Thanks mate.  Seems like Javier Bardem and Josh Brolin will be on as well.

http://www.charlierose.com/shows/2007/11/16/1/a-discussion-about-the-film-no-country-for-old-men

picolas

darn. work. the moment there's a link for this, someone post it plz!

Sleepless

Quote from: SiliasRuby on November 11, 2007, 02:55:11 PM
there were bouts of forced laughter in the theatre where it wasn't really that particularly humorous.

It was the same when I saw it last night. Not sure what I think of this film. I just re-read this entire thread, and I want to think about it a bit more still. I'll put up a review in the next day or so.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

hedwig

what the fuck is going on here?? i had weird inappropriate laughter in my audience too! especially during one scene, it wasn't funny or supposed to be funny and clearly the person wasn't laughing out of discomfort. this one guy just burst into LOUD, piercing laughter. it was really weird.

apart from that, my theatre was packed with old people, the WORST. you know, asking each other what just happened after anything would happen. have they been airing tv spots during golden girls or something? one old lady gasped "finally!" when tommy lee jones appeared.

the movie is fucking outstanding. take the grim content of fargo (everything that happens to everyone except marge) and strip away any trace of hope or light (marge) and you've got No Country For Old Men. that's the COLDEST VILLAIN i've seen in a long long time. i guess he was kinda funny a few times, like when he put his feet up on the bed. or the way he answered the phone. the scene at the end with lewellyn's wife was chilling and beautiful. actually, maybe she was the only bright spot in the movie. that scene was so incredibly sad. it was scary the first time i watched it, but the more i think about, the sadder it becomes. i'm dying to see this movie again.

the coen brothers are back. finally!

B.C. Long

SPOILERS

I admire the direction they took after Brolin's character died and it fits into the whole flippin' coin subtext, but I can't say that I liked or enjoyed it very much. The ending that is. The rest of the film is pretty incredible, but the last 20 minutes are really unsatisfying. I understand that's what the Coen Bros were going for and that's why I admire it, but don't really like it.

cine

the chilling thing about this movie is that.. you end up agreeing with the killer and pointing the finger at Lewellyn.

Pubrick

the chilling thing about this thread is everyone's done away with spoiler warnings.
under the paving stones.

Pozer

i really loved this.  REALLY loved it.  it's right behind BLOOD for me.  Chere Mill by the way, not Simple.  and when i say right behind, i mean trying to catch up.

INTRO TO SPOILER

ive drank a bottle of wine - pinot/label had lil guy on a bicycle on it..

SPOILER

randomness..

i was thinking the whole time that the money would end up with someone random.  maybe like them kids on the bikes or another dude like broil's character - unaware of what the money was involved in.  maybe chunk from goonies would cameo as this fella.  and it would somehow relate to what javi said about the 1957 quarter - how it traveled so long and ended up with the old hick store guy.  i know the story won by not meeting my thoughts, but i kept expanding on them and thinking of what the movie couldve been...  and then, SOMEHOW, the ending got better on the ride home.  even the scene with tommy lee j and the old dude which when the credits were rolling, i thought was pointless altogether.  somehow it unexplainably (question: is unex;lainably a word?) became magical only when thinking back on it.

why did i love broil's (yesiam aware his reel name is brolyn) character so much?  everything about him.  his tone and movement just grabbed you/me - before the story even did.  and the lil phrases that he would say aloud to himself - classic coens.

i believe this concludez my spoils   

wtf is going here?  i had the same laughter in my theater.  hmmm, that must mean it's... appropriate.  classic coens. 

tpfkabi

SPOILERS

in ways i'm wondering if this is the Silence of the Lamb to all the Hannibal sequels - i.e. killer walks away free with not much known about him. one cop survives...

i could see the popularity with this turning into another book/film that is both prequel/sequel - switching back and forth between events after this film, and explain the killer's past.

i'm tired of all the car crash/turning points in films of recent years.

how do you interpret the editing of the return of tommy lee to the hotel after brolin died - that whole scene? simply that the killer was in the other room?
I am Torgo. I take care of the place while the Master is away.

hedwig

SPOILERS

Quote from: bigideas on November 18, 2007, 11:51:52 PM
i'm tired of all the car crash/turning points in films of recent years.

what? the crash didn't halt his escape, as far as we know. it would've been lame if he'd died or been too injured to move on.. he just walked away, bone sticking out of his flesh. it wasn't really a "turning point" in that sense.

JG

Quote from: bigideas on November 18, 2007, 11:51:52 PM
SPOILERS

in ways i'm wondering if this is the Silence of the Lamb to all the Hannibal sequels - i.e. killer walks away free with not much known about him. one cop survives...

srsly?  cos that totally defeats the purpose of the movie (not the sequels usually "get" it anyways..)  the whole brilliance of tommy lee jones' character comes from his idleness.