Promising Young Woman

Started by WorldForgot, January 14, 2021, 09:56:10 PM

WorldForgot

A young woman haunted by a tragedy in her past takes revenge on the predatory men unlucky enough to cross her path.

I really don't like either trailer for this film -- but suffice to say it's a successful rape revenge thriller that playz on Rom-Com tropes. Starring Carey Mulligan, Bo Burnham, and a whole lot of comedy vets in supporting roles, its hybrid and design emphasizes the "flipping" of gaze as much as its distortion. Cassie's electric on the page but with Carey Mulligan channeling her she's untouchable.

I've read critique that its script can feel manipulative, and perhaps it iz, but I didn't feel any hollowness to the overt style or structure. Actually, I thought it accomplished the empathetic gaze, took care to consider character first - from tongue-in-cheek opening khaki shots to the way Cassie gets sliced in the edit and composition, pivoting on an axle with the turn of a phrase.

jenkins

can you describe the rape within its narrative manifestation? in other words, how we know a rape occurs. it's like how sometimes in some places people want to know how the animal dies, however a rape is conveyed is bad news to me. I am asking so that I know, should I ever see this movie

in VS land (which I'm now a citizen within) Blood Games is an appreciated movie, and that's a female director, but the whole movie hinges on a rape so it's not on my radar. as a movie fan I'm like a woman is in real life, in terms of I have to protect myself from prolific danger

Sleepless

Godawful trailer which according to this article doesn't sound at all representative of the actual film. Also, Writer/Director Emerald Fennell is Camilla in s3&4 of The Crown. I still dunno though. If I get a screener I'll probably watch it.
He held on. The dolphin and all the rest of its pod turned and swam out to sea, and still he held on. This is it, he thought. Then he remembered that they were air-breathers too. It was going to be all right.

WorldForgot

Quote from: jenkins on January 14, 2021, 10:47:17 PM
can you describe the rape within its narrative manifestation? in other words, how we know a rape occurs. it's like how sometimes in some places people want to know how the animal dies, however a rape is conveyed is bad news to me. I am asking so that I know, should I ever see this movie

It takes what i thought was a clever psychological approach -- ie, the more our character escapes their fog, the more the past comes back -- but the film really does wear grindhouse/genre influence on its sleeve in every sense except this depiction of rape. Which I think iz one of its strongest movez, concentrating on the disorientation of the fog, the gaslight, the rhetoric of "acquittal" creating a reality our character cannot abide (nor should we) 

pynchonikon

More devoted to its message than its actual plot plausibility, the film urges you to take it seriously while it is deliberately stretching credulity.
Carey Mulligan once again proves herself one of the best actresses out there, and I really liked the soundtrack/production design.

WorldForgot

Michael Perry's had an interesting career so far!
Agree that the production design's outta sight

I think the film's feminist scrawl can definitely be legible even in this genre-hybrid style (yes it wants you to take the thesis seriously, it's a grave issue, but it's not without its jabs at the culprits among us) - in fact, like New York Ripper or I Spit On Your Grave before it - I'm glad it doesn't choose only 1 tone.