So Far This Year VOLUME X

Started by modage, July 02, 2012, 10:30:56 AM

RegularKarate

Quote from: Reelist on November 15, 2012, 05:11:32 PM
In order of appreciation:
Sinister

This is a real question: Is this a joke?

polkablues

Sinister was great. Kind of fizzles out, but a really solid, suspensful horror flick with some memorable imagery. I would probably put it in my top ten as well, though not at number 2.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Reel

Quote from: RegularKarate on November 16, 2012, 11:05:47 AM
Sinister
This is a real question: Is this a joke?

Nope. Sinister is the best horror film I've seen in YEARS. It's The Shining for the new millenium. The only problem I had with it was a few of the cheap jump scares, but even those worked, it was really how obviously they used the sound effects that bothered me.

Polka made a good call on that one. I'm gonna watch anything he recommends from now on. Cheech and Chong, Bill and Ted, Harold and Kumar, Tim and Eric, ANYTHING.

socketlevel

I've never even heard of it, I'm always up for good horror. I still need to watch the orphanage as well. maybe i should do a double bill and get my fear on.
the one last hit that spent you...

Stefen

Quote from: HeywoodRFloyd on November 05, 2012, 08:12:51 AM
5. The Dark Knight Rises

The Dark Knight Rises

This is a real question. Is this a joke?

Seriously though, TDKR will get my xixax vote for worst movie of the year. It opened on my birthday and made me wish I was never born.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Reel

I'm sorry to hear that, it was my favorite of the trilogy. Yup, I decided this. I'm just a regular, everyday, normal motherfucker though. You guys don't gotta pay too much credence to my tastes, as you already know.

What is it exactly that made you hate The Master so much? Last time I ask.

RegularKarate

Obviously, a person's taste is hard to argue with, but Sinister was one of the worst movies I've seen in years and the closest I've come to leaving a movie I paid for in a long time.
It started interesting, but quickly reverted to obvious and cliched, then headed into laughably bad territory, and in the last few minutes just hung out in "plain old boring".

Other than the very beginning (which I liked), what made it enjoyable for you, Polka? (I'm not going to bite on Reelist's "Shining for the new millennium" troll bait... sorry)
The characters were all so poorly written and after the first twenty minutes, it became a bunch of 90s-esque Marilyn Manson music video scare-montages...
bleh, this conversation is probably best for another thread.

polkablues

The actual "Home Movies" were EXTREMELY effective, I thought.  The way they were staged and filmed made them genuinely chilling when they could easily have been laughable in less competent hands.  Ethan Hawke was at his Ethan-Hawkiest.  I felt like they did a solid job illustrating his obsession with his work, and with recapturing his prior success, that justified his otherwise sketchy motivations.  I don't know.  I liked it a lot, but it starts to fall apart in my hand when I poke at it too much.

wilder

Amour

Dark Horse
Barbara

The Master (I think this review is pretty spot on)

Cosmopolis
The Imposter

polkablues

Everything I've heard of Amour, it sounds amazing, but I have a grandmother in very late stage Alzheimer's right now, so it'll probably be a few years before I can bring myself to watch it.

wilder

I really think it's the best movie I've seen from the past ten years, but it was also one of the most uncomfortable films I've ever sat through and I'm pretty jaded by this point. I was surprised how emotionally affected I was. So yeah, highly recommended but seriously give yourself a cushion. I don't have a situation like that in my life currently but those thoughts were running through my head as I was watching -- what if this were happening in my life now? Could I bear this? I can't imagine seeing it if it'd hit any closer to home.

jenkins

So Far This Year I Have Yet To See The Following Movies And This Is Just A List From Titles Available On Netflix Streaming

Deep Blue Sea
The Loneliest Planet
Oslo, August 31st
Post Mortem
Elena
I Wish
Crazy Eyes
Virginia
Get the Gringo
The Yellow Sea
Life Without Principle
Keyhole
The Salt of Life
Headhunters
The Grey

Some of these movies aren't even listed as 2012, and in fact Post Mortem and Virginia and The Yellow Sea are listed as 2010. Life is so fucked. I can't make qualitative lists, life is too fucked.

I watched Sleepwalk With Me last night. It wouldn't be on the list. So that helps.

jenkins

I keep fucking up. I watched Like Crazy, which is from 2011, and wouldn't make a list. Is anyone going to catch up on releases via Netflix streaming, are there streamers here?

Should've been clear with my last post -- that's a list of movies I want to watch soon, is anyone else interested in watching any of them, let's watch them and we can chat. We can be friends.

Reel

I'll watch Get the Gringo and we can do a 'How Did This Get Made' like discussion of it.

jenkins

Deal. Can we do it after Christmas? It's not high priority, honestly I want to watch it 'cause BenoƮt Debie was the dp.

Watched Oslo, August 31st, which had a really strong ending that I think elevated it, cinematically, above similar movies -- dreary Scandinavian movies and "starting over" movies. Elevated it above Vinterberg's Submarino, for example. It's kind of like the camera came off the tripod and the narrative went with it, maybe nothing amazing but really strong and character based. The transcendent strobing-lights club scene is popular this year. "Under Your Spell" plays in the background of a party scene and it was the most distracting thing in the entire world, plus the song was already stuck in my head 'cause earlier I'd been talking about Drive.

Went to watch The Loneliest Planet but the subtitles are giant yellow fuckers that are CC so they tell me when someone is [coughing]. Really distracting. What should I do