untraceable

Started by pete, December 31, 2007, 12:05:48 AM

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: Pubrick on January 01, 2008, 07:50:30 AM
Quote from: The Gold Trumpet on December 31, 2007, 02:45:26 AM
To those unfamiliar with Family Guy, meet the 3 second joke extended to an unnecessary 30 seconds right before commercial break.

uh why am i trying to explain comedic genius to GT .. :doh:

I'll use your phrase, are you kidding me? I always thought your guys version of a joke was a table of two laugher because it was too inside for anyone else to think was humorous. You guys really do think all these little back and forths are funny? Oh man haha, sorry.

Gamblour.

Geez way to poop on everything. Do you stop everything you find not funny? I'd prefer strings of bad jokes to curmudgeony complaints and the ensuing arguments. It's like you had to stamp your whiny disapproval on this thread.
WWPTAD?

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: Gamblour. on January 01, 2008, 12:53:20 PM
Geez way to poop on everything. Do you stop everything you find not funny? I'd prefer strings of bad jokes to curmudgeony complaints and the ensuing arguments. It's like you had to stamp your whiny disapproval on this thread.

Oh god, I don't need 17 year olds coming after me now. Listen, my Family Guy reference was a joke. Pubes stopped the action and made it something more. I saw the opportunity for a joke against a few other jokes. I didn't mean be an asshole against the self masturbation. If anything, I was doing what everyone does by saying a joke to undermine something else. It wasn't serious and neither was my reply to Pubes. I don't need need more attacks that are bad assumptions of who I am.

Gamblour.

Quote from: The Gold Trumpet on January 01, 2008, 02:15:33 PM
I don't need need more attacks that are bad assumptions of who I am.

I don't need 17 year olds coming after me now.

Unless that was a joke too. Your repetoire is growing between that and, apparently, your reply to P. And thing you said about FG. Yes... jokes.
WWPTAD?

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: Gamblour. on January 01, 2008, 02:49:28 PM
I don't need need more attacks that are bad assumptions of who I am.

I don't need 17 year olds coming after me now.

Unless that was a joke too. Your repetoire is growing between that and, apparently, your reply to P. And thing you said about FG. Yes... jokes.

I'm not going to deny an inkling of hostility in the reply to P. He said something I thought he meant and I felt was a little condescending. The Family Guy rib was a total joke though. At the end of the day I like P and we do have different senses of humor, but it wasn't serious in the sense I'm trying to burn any bridges.

And I guess I thought you were 17 because I've read your movie reviews.

Yes, that was condescending and considering your butting into this coversation, I don't care.

Gamblour.

Quote from: The Gold Trumpet on January 01, 2008, 02:57:16 PMAnd I guess I thought you were 17 because I've read your movie reviews.

Quote from: The Gold Trumpet on January 01, 2008, 02:57:16 PM
Yes, that was condescending and considering your butting into this coversation, I don't care
Butting??? It's a message board. A couple of replies and you've got the thread cornered? Excuse me, take it to PM if I'm butting in. Scram McFly, I'm cuttin in.

WWPTAD?

modage

i think what GT is trying to say is: he wants to see Untraceable because he thinks it will be a good film.  isn't that what its all about at the end of the day? 

happy 2008 everyone!
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

Gold Trumpet

Quote from: Gamblour. on January 01, 2008, 03:20:11 PM
Butting??? It's a message board. A couple of replies and you've got the thread cornered? Excuse me, take it to PM if I'm butting in. Scram McFly, I'm cuttin in.

First, that comeback is funny. It's something to play the tough guy type and make a Back to the Future reference. I don't know if the other person will laugh or just be confused.

Here's the thing. Now that this has already been overblown, you were the one to single me out and go ape shit on me. I still don't know how my original comment was worthy of P's remark. It was just a Family Guy reference in a joke; a joke no more undermining or cruel than most of the jokes that go on here. I don't even like Family Guy that much. I just knew how the show was and made the reference. My post after was a reaction to a comment I felt was a personal slam and you go after me like I was the one who stopped the joking. I didn't. I was responding to the stoppage of joking.

cine

omg whens this coming out i cant wait!!

polkablues

The real tragedy is that we now have a two-page-long "Untraceable" thread.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Pubrick

Quote from: Hedwig on December 31, 2007, 12:40:05 AM
if this movie happened in real life .. would you continue to log in?

GT would.

Quote from: The Gold Trumpet on January 02, 2008, 02:10:41 AM
It's not a good thing to taste in your mouth.
under the paving stones.

MacGuffin

'Untraceable' Cyber Criminals? Former FBI Agent Says There's No Such Thing
'We can catch you,' says Ernest Hilbert, who lent his expertise to upcoming Diane Lane flick.
Source: MTV

CULVER CITY, California — If you're reading this article on a computer, we know. If you've clicked to this site from an outside link, we know. And if you leave here and go somewhere else, somewhere you're not supposed to go, well, we don't know — but someone does.

"Is a Web site completely untraceable? No. It goes through mirrors, through proxy bounces, it goes international. To solve that it takes time, but it's just a simple factor," former FBI special agent Ernest Hilbert told MTV News. "The FBI has a whole division just to deal with this. There are 65,000 doors and windows on a computer that can be opened. You look inside of them, you own that box."

For eight years, Hilbert was one of 1,000 agents who focused on cyber investigations and computer forensics. Now a director of security for MySpace.com, Hilbert lent his years of expertise to director Gregory Hoblit's new film "Untraceable," which centers on an FBI agent (Diane Lane) who uses computer technology to track a serial killer through his Web site.

Hoblit, who said he set out to make "Untraceable" a film that "didn't play fast and loose with how sites are set up and how they are tracked and traced," recently showed MTV News some scenes from the film during a visit to an edit bay at Sony Studios. In the first scene, Lane types furiously on three different computers to track a credit-card thief using a backdoor Trojan horse to steal confidential numbers.

The fact that Lane uses three computers is not a stylistic choice, insisted Hilbert, but an FBI necessity. "You can't get on the Internet from your desktop computer. There's a reason for that. If your computer is on the Internet, it can be hacked. So the FBI network is completely separate," he revealed. "Then you'd have an Internet undercover computer that runs on a blank IP that doesn't come back to the FBI. You can make copies from there."

That modern criminals are flocking to the Internet to steal money should come as no surprise to anyone who's ever had an e-mail address, Hilbert said, but while he admits that a lot of cases do involve fraud or organized crime, an increasing number also involve kidnapping, pedophilia or terrorism.

That soon becomes Lane's problem as well. Each of the successive scenes deals with her attempts to discover the identity behind Kill With Me, a Web site with streaming video of an execution. The more people who visit the site, the faster the victim dies. In the film, Lane's search is complicated by the fact that the user continually switches IP addresses in an effort to stop the FBI's search.

"There's been a number of sites I've gone after where people have done a similar thing," Hilbert recalled. "These would all be things that the FBI would eventually figure out and track back. [It would] probably take upwards of a couple months, locking it down to each particular thing."

What's interesting to Hilbert, though, isn't that smart criminals are using the Internet, it's that even the smartest still seem to have a fundamental misunderstanding of how the Internet works.

"Computers are not like telephones. It's just that simple, that's what people think. The novelty of computers is gone. More and more people are learning it. But the old conception was just that simple," he said. "But as much as you try to hide it, it's a machine. It's gonna come back to whoever was really behind it. We can catch you. The pedophilia [sting] is the only known undercover operation that the FBI is running, and they still catch people doing it every single day."

And, like Lane in the first scene, the FBI catches you using the same technology you're using to perpetrate the crime.

"We Google. If you're on MSN, we're on MSN. I spent two years as a hacker online. They thought I was a money man, they brought me stolen goods. They sold it to me via [instant messenger]," Hilbert said. "Anything that the bad guys would use, we at the FBI would use."

Like Hilbert, Lane scans blogs, news servers and news groups to root out crime. But is the film entirely accurate?

"It is fairly boring to watch all the steps that it really would take [to catch a cyber criminal]," Hilbert smiled. "You really want to see what that looks like? Join the FBI."

"Untraceable," which also stars Colin Hanks, opens January 25.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

polkablues

Please stop posting actual movie information in this thread.
My house, my rules, my coffee

Stefen

"He broke into my WIRELESS NETWORK!"
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Pozer

im not gonna let this die cuz pozer totally would but wouldnt be animated about it.