Cannes 2004

Started by MacGuffin, February 20, 2004, 12:52:17 PM

mutinyco

Quote from: analogzombieAfter all the majority of humans are stupid, insipid creatures. Just b/c the peasants now drive Hondas and Fiats does not mean they no longer exist. The mentality of ignorance is alive and well, and its not uniquely American.

You rule.
"I believe in this, and it's been tested by research: he who fucks nuns will later join the church."

-St. Joe

Jeremy Blackman

Even Al Jazeera repeatedly makes a distinction between the American government and the American people.

Stefen

Quote from: Pubrick
Quote from: rustinglassYou can see the whole ceremony here:
http://www.festival-cannes.fr/video/video.asx?uid=71399
yep and if anyone wants to see the jury explaining themselves u can check it here.

p, just stop being a dick already, god.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

Quote from: Stefen
Quote from: Pubrick
Quote from: rustinglassYou can see the whole ceremony here:
http://www.festival-cannes.fr/video/video.asx?uid=71399
yep and if anyone wants to see the jury explaining themselves u can check it here.

p, just stop being a dick already, god.

aight, now's the time : I don't like you, Stefen.  just stay away from xixax  please
context, context, context.

matt35mm

... oh you two...  :roll:  :?  :|  :)  :o  :-D  :lol:

Stefen

f you crono. Like i wanted a little mexican friend anyway. And Matt, just stay off my goatse, man. Poser.
Falling in love is the greatest joy in life. Followed closely by sneaking into a gated community late at night and firing a gun into the air.

matt35mm

... I just learned what a goatse is.   :shock:

Quote from: matt35mm... I just learned what a goatse is.   :shock:

Sleuth

I hate people who didn't see goatse around the same time period I did
I like to hug dogs

Vile5

Quote from: analogzombieI find that all people the world over can be ignorant.
Me too

Quote from: analogzombieThe difference is as Americans we do not necessarily have to deal with people from other nations..
?

Quote from: analogzombiethe US has a greater capacity to be self sufficient. .
i thought it was Cuba  :roll:

Quote from: analogzombieWe deal with the other nations in the world, yet we do not have to..
?

Quote from: analogzombieOther nations, to stabalize their economies and their quality of life, are far more dependent on the US and other nations than we are of them..
?

Quote from: analogzombieThere are ignorant people all over the world. After all the majority of humans are stupid, insipid creatures.
That's true my friend, THAT is true...
"Wars have never hurt anybody except the people who die." - Salvador Dalí

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

Quote from: Stefenp, just stop being a dick already, god.

Normally we're on different levels, but I don't see how P was being a dick there...

Quote from: SleuthI hate people who didn't see goatse around the same time period I did

Yeah.  I remember seeing it a long time ago, and then some friend of mine came across it and showed it to me and I was like "OK, nothing I haven't seen before." And there was this long pause, until I explained to him I had seen that picture a long time ago.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

analogzombie

Quote from: Vile5
Quote from: analogzombieI find that all people the world over can be ignorant.
Me too

Quote from: analogzombieThe difference is as Americans we do not necessarily have to deal with people from other nations..
?

Quote from: analogzombiethe US has a greater capacity to be self sufficient. .
i thought it was Cuba  :roll:

Quote from: analogzombieWe deal with the other nations in the world, yet we do not have to..
?

Quote from: analogzombieOther nations, to stabalize their economies and their quality of life, are far more dependent on the US and other nations than we are of them..
?

Quote from: analogzombieThere are ignorant people all over the world. After all the majority of humans are stupid, insipid creatures.
That's true my friend, THAT is true...

sorry if you didn't understand my post, i will try to address your ? marks

- as americans we do not come into contact with as many multi-nationals as say most Europeans. The size of our country and its relative isolation from nations other than canada and mexico keep us that way. When living in Europe say Germany, as I did, you ineract on a dail;y basis with people from Italy, Austria, England, Romania, North Africa etc... Europe is a thoroughfare.

- by being self- suffieicent of course I mean that, America, unlike almost all other countries has the ability to produce most of its own resources. We may choos not to b/c of trad deals or comparative advantages that may make it more costly for us to do so, but the ability is there. And that ability gives us a sort of cushion when dealing with nations around the world. We may desire goods and products from toher nations, but if there was ever a lock-down on certain items we would be able to get by on our own.

- once again, 'by dealing with other nations' it has something to do with being self-suffiecient, except in this case we are militarily self-suffiecient. America, unlike many nations is fully capable of defending itself without help from the UN or allies. we have the capacity to project unilateral force anywhere in the world. So we do not necessarily HAVE to negotiate with North Korea to have them turn over nuclear weapons. Whereas Japan has no other choice but to negotiate and seek help from its allies.

- America is prosperous enough to maintain the relative quality of life of its citizens without the aid of other nations. If international trade was disrupted for a prolonged period there would be an extreme period of adjustment , but the US is a big enough market that we could conceivably produce, sell and use almost everything goood or service ourselves. Unlike other nations that rely hevaily on foreign aid, or trade to balance their books. We have seen in France and Germany recently, that the loss of some American trade and aide packages has had a detremental effect on their already sliding economy. An even better example is Saudi Arabia. All of the wealth and prosperity they enjoy is due to their oil export. If that export were cut off, or the market dried up, their entire society would crumble in a matter of years. Whereas The US, has a diversified enough economy that the death of one income stream would not necessarily destroy the entire economy.
"I have love to give, I just don't know where to put it."

Chest Rockwell

We should take the last few pages out of the Cannes thread and make it into its own thread. Great stuff, though, guys.

I'm of the opinion that Americans are rather narrow-minded. I get really irritated at least once a day when someone says something about the French. I'll ask what makes them feel that way. Just cuz, they say. French are stupid frog-assholes. I ask if they've ever met a Frenchman. You don't need to. Granted, this is all kid-stuff (which in a way just shows how the media that paints the culture like that easily reaches children, who as everyone knows are the future), but it still pisses me off. I don't know if everywhere in the world is like that, but I certainly think Americans suffer from Americanitis.

picolas

Quote from: Chest RockwellWe should take the last few pages out of the Cannes thread and make it into its own thread.
do i dare push the secret virgin thread-splitting button?