Ted Lasso

Started by wilberfan, August 14, 2021, 12:15:35 AM

wilberfan

Quote from: Find Your Magali on July 24, 2021, 05:26:50 PM
Quote from: wilberfan on July 23, 2021, 02:07:58 PM
from r/paulthomasanderson
.  (Links to Reddit post.)

The initial Magnolia reference in SE2, E1 was great, in the same way the show is always dropping in cultural references.

Do we really not have a Ted Lasso thread yet?   This cultural reference made me LOL this week.

[edit] The Diggler-esque reference aside, I thought this was a spectacular episode--perhaps my favorite of the series so far. Just the right amount of sweetness, humor, sentimentality.  Just delightful.

WorldForgot

Quote from: strandedwriter on August 26, 2020, 07:47:57 PM
Quote from: wilberfan on August 24, 2020, 11:18:31 PM
Laugh and call me names if you must, but I really like this show.

https://youtu.be/3u7EIiohs6U

NO LAUGHING HERE. Ted Lasso is so much fun for football lovers! Have you seen the NBC promos it's based on?

Quote from: polkablues on October 02, 2020, 02:22:18 PM
I would definitely have watched Ted Lasso by now if Apple wasn't so committed to making their content impossible to watch on a television without their specific streaming hardware.

Quote from: Find Your Magali on July 24, 2021, 05:26:50 PM
Quote from: wilberfan on July 23, 2021, 02:07:58 PM
from r/paulthomasanderson
.  (Links to Reddit post.)

The initial Magnolia reference in SE2, E1 was great, in the same way the show is always dropping in cultural references.

Later, when "Wise Up" plays during a scene, I initially groaned at the obviousness of it all, but then realized that more than 95% of the Ted Lasso audience would never put 2+2 together and understand that was a second Magnolia reference.

Also, once there were two Magnolia references, I realized it was not a coincidence that the dead dog in the episode was named Earl.

This is something that happens.

Quote from: Find Your Magali on August 14, 2021, 09:52:21 AM
So many movie/pop culture references, but -- even beyond the double-Magnolia season premiere -- it seems there are a lot of nods to Paul Thomas Anderson

polkablues

I'd just like to confirm that I finally did watch this show through the magic of piracy, and I love it with all my soul.
My house, my rules, my coffee

wilberfan

Another (inadvertent) shout-out. (Sort of.)

Rooty Poots

Quote from: wilberfan on August 27, 2021, 10:26:15 PM
Another (inadvertent) shout-out. (Sort of.)
Haha I had the same thought when I saw that. Also, I think that was the best episode they've done yet.
Hire me for your design projects ya turkeys! Lesterco

AntiDumbFrogQuestion

I'm just curious what people's sincere opinions are about this series.
Personally, there are layered characters and witty dialogue that remind me of Bill Lawrence's earlier work, and that draws me in. As well as the ability of the writers to slow-burn a deeper story under the surface of the comedy.
Usually when I see Jason Sudeikis' name near any project, it pushes me from pursuing watching it. The fact that the part is tailor-made for him has helped me appreciate his performance. Somehow, though, the ancillary characters are the ones i tune in for, to see what they do with them. Even if their most frequently spoken words are "futbol" and "is" and "life" and "Coach".
I took this show on because of faith in the opinions of those I trust about it. Lots of people love it, and I'm just curious about what helps them access that love in terms of how the series itself is crafted.
I like it more than love it, and will faithfully watch it for now.