OPETH

Started by Sleuth, May 11, 2003, 02:06:06 PM

Sleuth

I've been a fan of them for only a year, but I completely love this band.  I saw them last night in concert, sat down and got a pic taken with the drummer (Lopez), and during the concert stood right in front of Peter (2nd guitarist) and took lots and lots of pics.  It was the most intense concert experience I've ever had.  I can't be the only fan on here, who else loves these guys?
I like to hug dogs

Sleuth

Quote from: tremoloslothI can't be the only fan on here

well I guess I am! :evil:
I like to hug dogs

Just Withnail

Cheer up, I've got a mate who loves 'em  :-D

Can't say I'm that much into them myself, though...

ProgWRX

OPETH FUCKING RULES!

they (besides Tool) are the only ones doing relevant metal still today.. IMO.

Deliverance and Damnation, so opposite, but so perfect IMO  8)
-Carlos

Sleuth

YES PROGWRX, YOUR EXISTENCE CONTINUES TO PLEASE ME

here is me with drummer Martin Lopez
I like to hug dogs

ProgWRX

So how are you digging Damnation?
:yabbse-thumbup:
-Carlos

Sleuth

I dig Damnation a lot, I can't wait to see what's next.  I have tons of respect for bands that continue to evolve throughout their career like Opeth, and yes, Tool.
I like to hug dogs

ProgWRX

definately... although i foresee them going back to their natural style of Still Life/Blackwater Park, with both heavy AND acoustic styles mixed within the same songs...  all about dynamics  8)

If you dug Damnation, definatley check out Porcupine Tree's In Absentia,  Damnation's producer and longtime Opeth contributor Steven Wilson's band's most recent album. (hows 'bout that sentence? haha) You may already be familiar with it, but if not, its VERY much worth getting :)
-Carlos

Sleuth

Yes, I enjoy Porcupine Tree also.  Didn't Steve Wilson do some background vocals on Blackwater Park?  Opeth's next tour is going to have PT as an opener, I hope hope hope they come back here
I like to hug dogs

ProgWRX

yeah, wilson has done bakcground vocals for Blackwater Park and Damnation, and i believe even some in Deliverance..

they tell me opeth is incredible live..  :oops:
-Carlos

phil marlowe

Quote from: ProgWRXthey (besides Tool) are the only ones doing relevant metal still today.. IMO.
all and i mean all of you guys need to open up your fragile little minds and take a long swim in the rosy sea of hardcore metal.

Sleuth

Opeth and Tool happen to be two bands that I have great respect for, don't assume they are all I listen to.  Besides, they're so different, I don't see how you are lumping them together.  I don't like to think in terms of genres and sub-genres (it's all so confusing and unnecessary) so why don't you tell me what "hardcore metal" is
I like to hug dogs

ProgWRX

yeah i want to know what exactly do you mean by hardcore metal....

to some people, that could be something like Slipknot  :roll: y'know?  :wink:
-Carlos

phil marlowe

well its kinda the new movement. started back with black flag and biohazard and that shit as a cross between fast and agressive punk and metal. now it' turned out developed alot and being much more metallic and really really really agressive and technic.

if youre interrested then try out 'zao' and 'norma jean' and if you want your brain to break down 'the dillinger escapeplan'.

most people cant stand listening to it and its, like many genres i guess kind of an acuired(sp?) taste. but if you practise it, like myself, its heaven on earth.

phil marlowe

and yeah, slipknot has some stuff that is quite close. take the first couple of tracks on the old record.