Scott Rudin

Started by tlong, April 09, 2021, 02:53:03 PM

tlong

As the world comes crashing down on Scott Rudin, does anyone remember this article/interview/stream of consciousness from PTA in 2000.

http://legacy.aintitcool.com/node/5949

This line seems rather interesting in hindsight - "(In other words, he turned me down from making a movie with him...(god knows, I SURE DO NEED A PRODUCER....(making movies is sooooo impossible if Scott Rudin isn't there....) "

Did Rudin produce anything else of PTA's besides THERE WILL BE BLOOD?

Here is the article about Rudin's behavior -
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/features/everyone-just-knows-hes-an-absolute-monster-scott-rudins-ex-staffers-speak-out-on-abusive-behavior

Tdog

I found this PTA comment about adapting a book interesting: "fuck it, I'm gonna shoot every word and see what happens..." Which is what I want to do one day when a book really catches my fancy......

Inherent Vice essentially!

wilberfan

Hollywood Overwhelmingly Silent On Scott Rudin Abuse Allegations

Quote"If Hollywood has taken steps to reform following a #MeToo upheaval that began with sexual abuse allegations against another much-rewarded New York uber-producer, Harvey Weinstein, the initial response to The Hollywood Reporter's story on Rudin suggests the industry is less eager to curb cultures of verbal abuse and workplace toxicity," the AP reported.

"No studio that has regularly done business with Rudin has commented on the article, nor have any of the A-list names that Rudin has helped propel to more than 150 Oscar nominations and 17 Tonys,"

QuoteNeither Aaron Sorkin, Wes Anderson, the Coen Brothers, nor Paul Thomas Anderson – all of whom collaborated with Rudin on several projects – have issued a statement denouncing his behavior.

QuoteThus far, the biggest name in the industry to publicly rebuke Rudin is Annapurna co-founder Megan Ellison. In a tweet last Wednesday, Ellison alleged that Rudin engaged in sexist and racist behavior beyond the allegations of physical and mental abuse detailed in the THR article.

"This piece barely scratches the surface of Scott Rudin's abusive, racist, and sexist behavior. Similarly to Harvey, too many are afraid to speak out. I support and applaud those who did. There's good reason to be afraid because he's vindictive and has no qualms about lying," she tweeted.

Tdog

Quote from: wilberfan on April 12, 2021, 11:29:12 PM
Hollywood Overwhelmingly Silent On Scott Rudin Abuse Allegations

Quote"If Hollywood has taken steps to reform following a #MeToo upheaval that began with sexual abuse allegations against another much-rewarded New York uber-producer, Harvey Weinstein, the initial response to The Hollywood Reporter's story on Rudin suggests the industry is less eager to curb cultures of verbal abuse and workplace toxicity," the AP reported.

"No studio that has regularly done business with Rudin has commented on the article, nor have any of the A-list names that Rudin has helped propel to more than 150 Oscar nominations and 17 Tonys,"

QuoteNeither Aaron Sorkin, Wes Anderson, the Coen Brothers, nor Paul Thomas Anderson – all of whom collaborated with Rudin on several projects – have issued a statement denouncing his behavior.

QuoteThus far, the biggest name in the industry to publicly rebuke Rudin is Annapurna co-founder Megan Ellison. In a tweet last Wednesday, Ellison alleged that Rudin engaged in sexist and racist behavior beyond the allegations of physical and mental abuse detailed in the THR article.

"This piece barely scratches the surface of Scott Rudin's abusive, racist, and sexist behavior. Similarly to Harvey, too many are afraid to speak out. I support and applaud those who did. There's good reason to be afraid because he's vindictive and has no qualms about lying," she tweeted.

What are they going to say; "Scott Rudin is an awful man and we are all saints!".

There's probably an endless number of less successful but equally as horrible as Scott Rudin types out there.

wilberfan

Quote from: Tdog on April 13, 2021, 12:47:39 PM
There's probably an endless number of less successful but equally as horrible as Scott Rudin types out there.

Inside Annapurna CEO Megan Ellison's Long-Awaited Return to Work

QuoteOn April 7, Annapurna CEO Megan Ellison made headlines as the only notable show business figure to openly criticize Scott Rudin on social media after the latest expose of the super-producer's alleged workplace abuse and toxicity was published last week.

While some activists and film enthusiasts applauded Ellison for speaking out, others found it hypocritical for someone who also has a fierce temper and has had explosive incidents of her own, according to four sources with direct knowledge of such behavior.

QuoteA story often told in the halls of Annapurna's well-appointed West Hollywood bungalows was a  late 2017 incident in which Ellison hurled a patio chair at a top executive. The act of rage was said to be triggered by this person's delivery of unfortunate news. Variety corroborated the story with individuals working at Annapurna at the time, and with several people familiar with the event. None spoke on the record out of fear of retribution. A source close to Ellison said she was not aiming for the executive. The executive in question left the company shortly after, and declined to comment on this story.

Around the same time, Ellison famously dressed down veteran distribution executive Erik Lomis, whom she lured from The Weinstein Company to pilot Annapurna's distribution efforts (he would eventually move over to UAR), in a staff meeting with over a dozen people. She ordered him to "get the fuck out of my building" in front of senior staff, who looked on in disbelief, sources familiar with that incident said. A UAR spokesperson declined to comment on behalf of Lomis.

Some former employees felt Ellison played mind games. If she thought employees were underperforming, she would reassign desks or offices to stations in another building to make her dissatisfaction tangible, sources said. An individual familiar with the company said this was a creative exercise to encourage collaboration between different departments on a continuing basis. She would also text employees on weekends and in the middle of the night, often sending accusatory and punishing lectures in dozens of subsequent messages if she did not receive immediate responses, the sources added.

An Ellison spokesperson had no comment on the above incidents.

Tdog

I'm not religious in the slightest but J.C had it right: "let he who is without sin cast the first stone". Heavy twitter users should take that to the bank!

Alethia

Gotta love the guy <3<3

wilberfan

Makes me even more impressed with how the Soggy set was run.

kingfan011

Quote from: wilberfan on April 15, 2021, 11:25:44 AM
Makes me even more impressed with how the Soggy set was run.

Interesting meaning it was a calm set or something?

Alethia

Seemed pretty chill when I visited. Except for one PA who shall remain nameless, right WF?  :)

Tdog

Quote from: eward on April 15, 2021, 12:50:10 PM
Seemed pretty chill when I visited. Except for one PA who shall remain nameless, right WF?  :)

Were they shooing you away?

Alethia

Just general performative hostility from a single party at the bottom of the rung. I never actually saw him myself but have heard tales...

wilberfan

I developed a great fondness and deep respect for that crew.   I never witnessed or overheard a single angry outburst during my visits.

When I write my memoirs, I have some very cool stories about how well I was treated.  The two exceptions only prove the rule, as far as I'm concerned.

wilberfan

If this is the Rudin Thread, then this has to be posted here.  Props to Jeremy for mentioning this in the Shouter last night.

Scott Rudin, As Told by His Assistants A portrait of a toxic workplace.
By Anne Victoria Clark, Jackson McHenry, Lila Shapiro, Gazelle Emami, Helen Shaw, Tara Abell, Nate Jones, E. Alex Jung, and Megh Wright

(Was going to quote the entire article here, but it's too long.  Jeremy pointed out what an incredible piece of reporting this represents.)