The Fast And The Furious: Tokyo Drift

Started by MacGuffin, June 07, 2005, 11:30:05 PM

MacGuffin

Lin in 'Fast' driver's seat for Universal
Source: Hollywood Reporter

Justin Lin has been signed to direct Universal Pictures' tentatively titled "The Fast and the Furious 3."

Lin, who established himself on the independent film scene with 2002's "Better Luck Tomorrow," will shoot the sequel to Universal's two previous car race movies in the fall on locations in the U.S. and Asia.

Neal H. Moritz, who was producer on the first two films, will produce the latest installment, written by Chris Morgan ("Cellular"). The new film will be set in Tokyo amid the underground world of Japanese drift racing.

Its plot centers on Shaun Boswell, who, to avoid jail, goes to live with his uncle, a military officer, in a cramped apartment in a low-rent section of Tokyo.

The first "Fast" movie, directed by Rob Cohen and released in 2001, grossed $207 million worldwide. Its sequel, "2 Fast 2 Furious," directed by John Singleton and released in 2003, took in $236 million worldwide. Together, both DVD titles have sold more than 20 million units.

Lin -- who was born in Taipei, Taiwan, and grew up in Orange County, Calif., before studying film at UCLA -- directed, co-wrote and was one of the producers of "Better Luck Tomorrow," which revolved around Asian-American high school seniors who embark on a crime spree. Lin also is attached to direct "Strangers," which Vertigo Entertainment is producing at Focus, as well as the Vertigo Entertainment/Universal Pictures film "Old Boy," a remake of a Korean-language action thriller. Repped by CAA, he is in postproduction on Touchstone's "Annapolis," starring James Franco, Tyrese Gibson and Jordana Brewster, which is scheduled for a fall release.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

Trailer

Release Date: June 16, 2006

Cast: Lucas Black, Bow Wow, Brian Tee, Sung Kang, Jason Tobin, Nathalie Kelly

Director: Justin Lin

Premise: In order to avoid a jail sentence, Shaun Boswell heads to Tokyo to live with his military officer uncle. In a low-rent section of the city, Shaun gets caught up in the underground world of drift racing.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

pete

yeah they're ripping off a japanese comic series as well as a hong kong movie that came out last summer, called "initial d", which is all about drifting.  pretty cool.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Reinhold

of course it looks like a bad movie in terms of characters and plot and dialogue and all of the stuff that we usually base "good" or "bad" on-- but that's some incredible driving.

just the spectacle of the driving might make sitting through that piece-of-shit-to-be worth it.
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

NEON MERCURY

i know that i look kind of goofy..i've got a nasty overbite and a drool problem...but are any of you guys into trick out cars and white trash shit like this? 

McfLy

It goes without saying this movie will be turd. What scares me moreso than a third "Fast and the Furious" movie is that the director, Justin Lin, will be directing the North American version of "Oldboy." I can assume people who are fans of the original will just mutually agree that the remake doesn't exist. Truth be told I have not seen any of Justin Lin's films, so I can't comment on the director, but seeing as how he directed "Annapolis" (aka "An Officer And A Gentlemen" remake)  I can't see good things (Altho I've heard some mixed reviews on "Better Luck Tomorrow").