Why We Fight

Started by hedwig, February 19, 2006, 02:12:27 AM

hedwig

Trailer here.

Director: Eugene Jarecki (The Trials of Henry Kissinger)

Synopsis: Featuring John McCain, Gore Vidal, William Kristol, Chalmers Johnson, Richard Perle and others, Why We Fight launches a bipartisan inquiry into the workings of the military industrial complex and the rise of the American Empire. Inspired by Dwight Eisenhower's legendary farewell speech (in which he coined the phrase "military industrial complex"), filmmaker Eugene Jarecki surveys the scorched landscape of a half-century's military adventures, asking how – and telling why – a nation of, by, and for the people has become the savings-and-loan of a system whose survival depends on a state of constant war. The film moves beyond the headlines of various American military operations to the deeper questions of why – why does America fight? What are the forces – political, economic, ideological – that drive us to fight against an ever-changing enemy?

pete

"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Reinhold

does it say anything "new" or does it just organize what a lot of "conspiracy theorists" like george orwell and noam chomsky have been saying for decades and just put it in one legitimate, easy to access place?
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.

pete

I'm guessin the latter, but eugene jarecki got a lot of the republicans and soldiers to say these things, as opposed to scholars and authors (he had those in there too) so that made it seem more convincing I guess.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

polkablues

Quote from: permanent username on February 19, 2006, 02:37:48 PM
does it say anything "new" or does it just organize what a lot of "conspiracy theorists" like george orwell and noam chomsky have been saying for decades and just put it in one legitimate, easy to access place?

Plus, that wacko moonbat conspiracy theorist Dwight Eisenhower.
My house, my rules, my coffee

snaporaz

i'm really looking forward to this one. seems pretty truthful [even-handed would be the wrong choice of words]. plus, it doesn't seem to be one of those anti-bush/anti-corporate/anti-fox doc's that have been out recently.

snaporaz

ok, saw it today. kicked so much ass.