The Ballad of Jack and Rose

Started by MacGuffin, February 02, 2005, 02:52:30 AM

MacGuffin

Trailer

Release Date: TBA 2005 (limited release)

Cast: Daniel Day-Lewis (Jack), Camilla Belle (Rose), Catherine Keener, Beau Bridges (Marty Rance), Paul Dano (Thadius), Jason Lee, Jena Malone, Susanna Thompson

Director: Rebecca Miller (Personal Velocity, Angela)

Screenwriter: Rebecca Miller (Personal Velocity, Angela)

Premise: Jack (Day-Lewis), a single widower father who has raised his 16-year-old daughter, Rose (Belle), in the remote environment of a long-abandoned commune (except for them) in the middle of nowhere (ie, an otherwise-uninhabited island off the Northwest coast of Canada) is diagnosed with a terminal illness. Faced with the knowledge that she will need to be able to cope within the larger realities of the world after he dies, Jack starts to slowly try to expand her horizons and awareness of how the world works, despite the difficulties that this emotional and growing experience soon brings into their lives. To help in that process, Jack brings a lover (Keener) back from the mainland, who moves to the commune with her two teen sons (Dano plays the eldest), who themselves help introduce Rose to the wonders (and pains) of unbridled teen lust/love. Meanwhile, a local real estate developer (Bridges) wants to buy the commune from Jack...
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

Myxo

It's great to see Daniel Day-Lewis back in the saddle. I admire his work so much.

Looks like a great film.

Ghostboy

Hey, this is the movie Taz worked on...back when it was called The Rose And The Snake.

Jeremy Blackman

Quote from: Ghostboyback when it was called The Rose And The Snake.
Kinda like The Princess and the Warrior.

ShanghaiOrange

I thought this was a sequel to Titanic.
Last five films (theater)
-The Da Vinci Code: *
-Thank You For Smoking: ***
-Silent Hill: ***1/2 (high)
-Happy Together: ***1/2
-Slither: **

Last five films (video)
-Solaris: ***1/2
-Cobra Verde: ***1/2
-My Best Fiend: **1/2
-Days of Heaven: ****
-The Thin Red Line: ***

SiliasRuby

Saw this tonight. Can Daniel Day-Lewis do no wrong? I think he can't, he's fabulous. This was a absolutely wonderful film, Jason Lee even had a nice little role. Gosh, this was great.
The Beatles know Jesus Christ has returned to Earth and is in Los Angeles.

When you are getting fucked by the big corporations remember to use a condom.

There was a FISH in the perkalater!!!

My Collection

Finn

Excellent. It was totally absorbing from start to finish. I have no idea why it got tons of bad reviews and was called "contrived". The acting was terrific, cinematography was beautiful, and the camera-work by Miller was just wonderful. It's one of the best relationship movies I've seen in years.
Typical US Mother: "Remember what the MPAA says; Horrific, Deplorable violence is okay, as long as people don't say any naughty words."

i'm going to pull a Pubrick here but there's a screening in 4 hours and i want to know if this movie is worth watching , anyone care to quickly recommend it?
context, context, context.

samsong

context, context, context.

PopsUp

the main problem with this movie is that you have no idea where she's getting at, and at the end you realize she didn't either, and the whole movie went nowhere. so the characters are good, some scenes are powerfull, the writing is subtle and realistic, but, that's it. she had nothing to say.

and the ending is terrible. it looks like one of those endings where you learn on the dvd that it wasn't even the director that directed it, just some guy hired by the studio because they wanted to have a gate open for a sequel. terrible.

BUT it is still worth seeing for, and i know that's a cliche, daniel daylewis's performance, which is very ^powerfull. his character is barely written, and yet you have the feeling to have a very complex character in front of you. so that's impressive.

and there's plenty of character stuff to analyse, brokeback-style.