The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe

Started by jtm, December 07, 2003, 05:27:16 PM

SoNowThen

Ah, good. So it kinda was sarcasm then. Agreed, agreed, and agreed.
Those who say that the totalitarian state of the Soviet Union was not "real" Marxism also cannot admit that one simple feature of Marxism makes totalitarianism necessary:  the rejection of civil society. Since civil society is the sphere of private activity, its abolition and replacement by political society means that nothing private remains. That is already the essence of totalitarianism; and the moralistic practice of the trendy Left, which regards everything as political and sometimes reveals its hostility to free speech, does nothing to contradict this implication.

When those who hated capital and consumption (and Jews) in the 20th century murdered some hundred million people, and the poster children for the struggle against international capitalism and America are now fanatical Islamic terrorists, this puts recent enthusiasts in an awkward position. Most of them are too dense and shameless to appreciate it, and far too many are taken in by the moralistic and paternalistic rhetoric of the Left.

killafilm

This movie was Aiiight.  I think I have some golden memories of the TV version.  It all felt very rushed.  Georgie Henley is this years Freddie Highmore from Finding Neverland, sans that urge to cry.  Children and lovers of Animal Planet should love this.

planet_jake

This is possibly the worst movie of the year.

My god... What a boring, predictable, self important fiasco... I still cannot believe what I've seen... Just a disaster.

modage

Prince Caspian is Moving Ahead
Source: Variety January 10, 2006

The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe has already earned $530 million worldwide -- nearly $70 million ahead of King Kong -- which is spurring plans for a sequel based on the next title, "Prince Caspian".

Variety says Walt Disney Pictures and Walden Media are currently working on a script and are expected to tap a director within a few weeks. Andrew Adamson directed the first film, but it's not confirmed he'll return for "Prince Caspian".

The trade published a quote from Walden CEO Cary Granat, who said, "We're planning on starting production by the fourth quarter of next year." It's unclear when this interview took place. If it was before New Year's, "Prince Caspian" would start filming later this year. If not, "Narnia" fans have a long wait ahead of them.

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

modage

Title: Chronicles of Narnia
Released: 4th April 2006
SRP: Prices TBC

Further Details:
Disney Home Video has made available artwork for single and double-disc editions of The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe which stars Georgie Henley, Skandar Keynes, William Moseley, Anna Popplewell and Tilda Swinton. Both DVD's will be available to own from the 4th April this year. I'm afraid Disney has yet to reveal the disc specs for these, but we'll bring you the full details, just as soon as the final announcement is made. Stay tuned. For now though, here's the official package artwork:

this trend to release seperate editions to charge more for what in the past handful of years has been a standard 2 disc thing really pisses me off.  if you want to put out a crappy one and a good one, and charge a bunch more for the better one, you'd better make sure it has like 4 fucking discs.  cause '2 disc' just aint worth it assholes.  plus you know they're going to put out a better one someday anyway. 
Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

MacGuffin

Another Narnia Confirmed
Studio sets Prince Caspian for next year.

Disney has confirmed that pre-production has commenced on the second installment in The Chronicles of Narnia film franchise. Prince Caspian, based on the second tale in C.S. Lewis' classic fantasy series, is tentatively set for a 2007 release courtesy of Walt Disney Pictures and Walden Media.

Chronologically, in "Narnia time," Caspian is the fourth overall. The story takes the four Pevensie children back to Narnia, summoned by Queen Susan's horn centuries after Narnia was freed from the White Witch's spell.  Narnia is now under the rule of the neighboring Telmarines, and the Pevensies can help Caspian, rightful heir to the throne, lead a revolt for Narnian independence.

Director Andrew Adamson is expected to return for the sequel, as are the young actors that portrayed the Pevensie kids in The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe.

According to the most recent estimates The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe has grossed nearly $635 million worldwide since it hit the big screen in December.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

MacGuffin

Buena Vista has finally (officially) announced the DVD release of Walt Disney Pictures and Walden Media's The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe for 4/4. The single-disc version (SRP $29.99) will be available in either full frame or anamorphic widescreen, and will include audio commentary with director Andrew Adamson, production designer Roger Ford and producer Mark Johnson, a second commentary with Adamson and the film's child stars (Georgie Henley, Skandar Keynes, William Moseley and Anna Popplewell), a text trivia track option, and bloopers. The 2-disc Special Collector's Edition version will include anamorphic widescreen video, and all of the special features from the single-disc version. Additional extras will include the Chronicle of a Director video diary, The Children's Magical Journey set tour, 8 different Cinematic Storytellers video diaries, 3 behind-the-scenes featurettes (including Anatomy of a Scene: The Melting River, C.S. Lewis: From One Man's Mind and the interactive Creating Creatures), Creatures of the World biographies, an interactive 3D Narnia map and the Legends in Time timeline. Audio for both editions will be available in a Dolby Digital 5.1 "Home Theater Mix" and DTS 5.1. Note that the studio is releasing a UMD version for the PSP on 4/4 as well (SRP $29.99) which will include bloopers.
"Don't think about making art, just get it done. Let everyone else decide if it's good or bad, whether they love it or hate it. While they are deciding, make even more art." - Andy Warhol

Skeleton FilmWorks

ᾦɐļᵲʊʂ

The pace was kind of fast, I felt.  Some shots were very colorful, but the whole thing felt rushed and I laughed so hard at the "Well, logically speaking, if she's the only one who saw it and he said she's lying, then maybe she is." "Well, logically speaking, if she's not mad and not a liar, then she must be right!"  Wonderful.

SPOILERS!!!!!!

I think Aslan is Jesus.
"As a matter of fact I only work with the feeling of something magical, something seemingly significant. And to keep it magical I don't want to know the story involved, I just want the hypnotic effect of it somehow seeming significant without knowing why." - Len Lye

Reinhold

i laughed so hard that tears were streaming down my face when the little troll dude was shot with the arrow, and by then even the munchies had subsided.

i can't wait to get a .gif of that.
Quote from: Pas Rap on April 23, 2010, 07:29:06 AM
Obviously what you are doing right now is called (in my upcoming book of psychology at least) validation. I think it's a normal thing to do. People will reply, say anything, and then you're gonna do what you were subconsciently thinking of doing all along.