imdb movie of the day today--the god of cookery

Started by pete, July 30, 2003, 10:25:18 AM

pete

this is one of the funniest films I've ever seen, made by Stephen Chow, a neo-Groucho Marx type of filmmaker who specializes in bad jokes, good jokes, crazy sight gags and whatnot.

IMDb Movie of the Day
Stephen Chow is so insanely popular in his native Hong Kong that he's created his own vernacular, mou lei tau, which roughly translates as "without meaning". In this respect, he has no Western contemporary, as his tongue is exponentially more influential than any of Snoop Dogg's shizzle. It's also representative of Chow's films, which are slapstick, nonsensical affairs infused with universal sentimentalities. The God of Cookery takes this formula to an extreme with fantastic results. A direct parody of Japanese TV show The Iron Chef, it depicts a champion chef (named Stephen Chow) who is disgraced in public by being exposed as a fraud and con-man. Now dethroned, he realizes he must undergo an transformation if he wants to make another run for the top. The humility he learns is appealing to a clutch of renegade street chefs, led by Turkey (Karen Mok), who help him create a dish that cannot be defeated -- and one whose name can not be disclosed in polite company. His road back to glory is a confusing one, filled with streetfights, shaolin training and gross-out jokes, but it's futile to delve further into a plot that's constructed to confuse. Just know that it culminates in a culinary throwdown, and the cooking scenes are astounding. People looking for an introduction to Chow's world may find it best to start here, as its Iron Chef take-off is easily recognizable. If you are converted, Forbidden City Cop, The King of Comedy, From Beijing with Love, and Shaolin Soccer rank as some of Chow's other most popular films. - Arno Kazarian
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton

Ravi

Is a good DVD on the way?  The current DVD is OOP, and I don't want to get the current one on eBay or something if a better one is coming.

bonanzataz

god of cookery is the best movie ever made.

this was the funniest, most visceral/surreal comedy i think i have ever seen. there is never a dull moment. this is one of those rare movies that has changed the way i see filmmaking. i have never seen any other stephen chow movies, but i will now seek them out. everybody here should do the same. go to your nearest city's chinatown and search for a bootleg of this amazing film.
The corpses all hang headless and limp bodies with no surprises and the blood drains down like devil's rain we'll bathe tonight I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls Demon I am and face I peel to see your skin turned inside out, 'cause gotta have you on my wall gotta have you on my wall, 'cause I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls collect the heads of little girls and put 'em on my wall hack the heads off little girls and put 'em on my wall I want your skulls I need your skulls I want your skulls I need your skulls

modage

Christopher Nolan's directive was clear to everyone in the cast and crew: Use CGI only as a last resort.

pete

they're not bootlegs you know :roll:
but taz, if we're so close to each other, why don't you stop by and I can hook you up with a bunch of older stephen chow movies.
"Tragedy is a close-up; comedy, a long shot."
- Buster Keaton